Author Topic: Flag Code  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Flag Code
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2005, 02:04:19 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
flag burning has nothing to do with speech... anymore than burning anything does.  

If you buy a flag you should be able to do anything you want with it so long as it doesn't break any laws or endanger anyone.

In most cities if you painted your house polka dot or zebra stiped or flourecent you would get cited for the same thing that you would get cited for if you painted it like a flag.   Is that "free speech"?  

In my opinion "free speech" has to do with the written and spoken word and nothing else.

lazs

The Supreme Court disagrees. The 1st Amendment guarantees freedom of expression, not just speech specifically.
sand

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Flag Code
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2005, 02:10:53 PM »
I think what they shoulda done or will do is..

It is unlawful, and unpatriotic, to burn the American flag when it is in prime condition, desicrating the flag to remove it from it's prime condition, dragging, painting, stepping on, etc, will be eligiable to fines and imprisonment.

The correct way to dispose of the flag is in a ceremonial burning after which it has flown freely and proudly above the land and troops of the United States of America, and is war torn, tatterd, or faded.

Burning the flag for any other reason not stated in the above paragraph is eligible to fines and imprisonment and community service.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 02:14:47 PM by Hawklore »
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Flag Code
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2005, 02:23:56 PM »
I would of edited more but the new 5-min rule didn't allow it..but I think it's almost at perfection..

Minus minor details..
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Flag Code
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2005, 02:44:19 PM »
Originally posted by Hawklore

The correct way to dispose of the flag is in a ceremonial burning after which it has flown freely and proudly above the land and troops of the United States of America, and is war torn, tatterd, or faded.

Bah... burning is the preferred method, but not the only way.
sand

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Flag Code
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2005, 02:51:09 PM »
My favorite part of the "make flag burning illegal to protect liberty" movement is when irony reaches critical mass and causes an explosion.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Flag Code
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2005, 05:16:17 PM »
Wearing the flag on a tee shirt is not a violation of the code.

The article 8 you describe, is wearing the the flag itself, around your body. (Like a naked playmate drapped in an American flag, that's anti-code).
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Flag Code
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2005, 07:52:26 PM »
Originally posted by Schaden
no flag over here but I still appear to have a house, car, tv AND clothes - which press organisation should I inform to ensure full coverage?

You should forget the press and notify your TV service provider.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Flag Code
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2005, 08:18:08 PM »
Surely the freedom to burn the flag is exactly what flag itself represents? That very freedom.

If the flag itself become more important than the freedom it represents then it loses it's value as a symbol of freedom.  Thus it becomes worthy of being burnt.  

What is more important? The freedom to burn the flag or the flag itself? You can always replace a flag because in truth a flag is only a piece of cloth. A loss of freedom is harder to replace.

Will people now start to burn the flag in protest at the loss of freedom this law entails?

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
Flag Code
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2005, 10:18:42 AM »
This freedom of speech/expression stuff will be all a moot point in a few years.

If current trends continue, this will be our flag:

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety