Author Topic: Well...  (Read 586 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Well...
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 12:19:53 PM »
I think it was Sid Meier (Pirates!, Civiliztion, ect) who said "A good game presents the player with a series of interesting choices."

Having the engine fail arbitrarily or guns jam arbitrarily is not an interesting choice.  It is just inflicted on the player.  Did you just win that fight because you were a better pilot, or because his Bf109G-10's engine dropped to 25% power in the middle of it?  Hmm?

Even having the gun have a chance of jamming when fired in high G situations would have repercussions, perhaps making the straight and level HO an even more attractive option.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Well...
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 12:47:23 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak

Having the engine fail arbitrarily or guns jam arbitrarily is not an interesting choice.  It is just inflicted on the player.  Did you just win that fight because you were a better pilot, or because his Bf109G-10's engine dropped to 25% power in the middle of it?  Hmm?

i know i know!!

why not make it a random lottery whether your engine will quit, or your wings fall off, or you explode for no reason when you are within 10k of an enemy base?

oh wait.....  we already have puffy ack! ;)
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Well...
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 12:54:15 PM »
BTW: Why do you think we have combat trim?

You can not get rid of trim and have the plane fly anything like a real one.

lasersailor, the items you ask for do not realy provide choices, what they do in my opionion is just provide nusicance realism. I.E. System manigment, with out any good trade offs.  Ah is designed around dogfighting. Rembering to open cowl flaps or to put the mixture in rich so your plane does not over heat realy has nothing to do with a dog fight. All you are realy asking for is having to rember to press 2 keys at various times.

HiTech

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Well...
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 01:03:20 PM »
I thought it was a war game :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Well...
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 01:34:39 PM »
Originally posted by BTW
>>There's a difference between fun gameplay, and annoying gameplay.

<<

I agree. So explain trim. No pilot was worried about moving a hat to look over their shoulder. I think we could forget about trim given the pita it is just to look left and right and the fact peripheral vision doesn't exist in the game.

This statement makes absolutly no sense. What does trim have to do with views?

As HT says, trim is an intricle part of flying a plane. Combat Trim helps take some of the complexities out of the equation and the fact that you cannot "feel" the control pressures that you can in a real aircraft makes it even more difficult. Trimming a virtual aircraft is a difficult process and I think HT has come up with a very workable solution with Combat Trim and the 2 auto trim functions.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Well...
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 01:48:58 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Did you even bother to read what I wrote?

Yes, I read it and I still call it BS. As HT says it's nothing but a neusance. Making it optional just makes it an optional neusance.

Putting things in the game that one player can turn on and another can turn off is just dumb IMO. I uderstand the reasons for Stall Limiter I just disagree with them. I think that if you just give them the plane "AS IS" they will learn to fly it. Engine management is just a PITA and it isn't fair because the radial engine planes are at a distinct disadvantage to the water cooled engines. You get into a low, slow turn fight in an F6F with a spitfire and you have to worry about engine temp, he doesn't. UNless your going to penalize players who turn it on you gain nothing from having it on.

Have you ever flown a SIM with this modeled? I have and it's annoying.

And I'm not "freaked out". I just think there are more issues in the game that are better addressed and more things HTC can put their time to than this. Also, this idea had been addressed many time before and been squashed by HiTech already.  Do a searcn of the BBS before you make a suggestion and see how manytimes it has been asked and turned down.