Author Topic: plasma tv question 42PD7800?  (Read 408 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
plasma tv question 42PD7800?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 06:43:39 PM »
Bodhi may be referring to the new OLED (Organic LED) sets coming out, which will drive the price down of other technologies.

LCoS based sets are also coming along nicely.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2005, 06:48:12 PM »
Oh yes... OLED's

They are supposed to be far superior to LCD and Plasma. Im glad Im not in the market for a new set now, cause stuff is happening and OLED (how could i forget) is perhaps one of the most exciting technologies that is out within a reasonable timeframe.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2005, 06:54:58 PM »
Interesting.  This monitor has higher resolution than most other plasma screens I've seen.  Most are 1024x8xx something, or lower.

I went to the store to buy it tonight, and was thwarted by the store.  Either they're a bunch of retards or they don't actually want to move expensive non-discounted merchandise.  They have 12 in stock but one is in storage 15 miles away at the old store they closed down 2 months ago, and the other 11 are in a trailer behind the store and haven't been accepted into stock because I live in the freaking UK and retailers just don't think that way.  None will be available until Monday, and I'm working 12 hour days so I can't get to the store during the week.  I mean really, why actually unload merchandise before a weekend when people might want to buy it?  Only an ignorant barbarian colonist would expect a hot new featured item to actually be available for sale on a Saturday, really.  There is even a hotshot international Hitachi salesperson who's been here for 2 weeks pushing these things, but if you actually want to buy one on your day off, you must be a fool.

So I don't have a new tv and I'm not sure I'll bother.  I don't really NEED a 42" plasma screen and if they won't even go to the effort of unloading their merchandise off of the truck so it can be sold on a busy retail weekend, why should I give those retards any money?
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005, 07:08:32 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
Interesting.  This monitor has higher resolution than most other plasma screens I've seen.  Most are 1024x8xx something, or lower.

I went to the store to buy it tonight, and was thwarted by the store.  Either they're a bunch of retards or they don't actually want to move expensive non-discounted merchandise.  They have 12 in stock but one is in storage 15 miles away at the old store they closed down 2 months ago, and the other 11 are in a trailer behind the store and haven't been accepted into stock because I live in the freaking UK and retailers just don't think that way.  None will be available until Monday, and I'm working 12 hour days so I can't get to the store during the week.  I mean really, why actually unload merchandise before a weekend when people might want to buy it?  Only an ignorant barbarian colonist would expect a hot new featured item to actually be available for sale on a Saturday, really.  There is even a hotshot international Hitachi salesperson who's been here for 2 weeks pushing these things, but if you actually want to buy one on your day off, you must be a fool.

So I don't have a new tv and I'm not sure I'll bother.  I don't really NEED a 42" plasma screen and if they won't even go to the effort of unloading their merchandise off of the truck so it can be sold on a busy retail weekend, why should I give those retards any money?

is this AAFES or a local retailer?????

and

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHH sir!

R/S
Gunslinger
;)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 07:43:41 PM »
aafes

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2005, 08:43:23 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
aafes

explains everything sir.  AAFES does not have a business model to speak of.  They couldn't make money at an exchange if a base were completly sealed and troops were forced to shop there.

Ours here has redicilus prices, the only way to get a good deal on anything is to price challenge them with a best uuy or walmart add.  worst part is those stores are 50 miles away.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2005, 08:53:56 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Bodhi may be referring to the new OLED (Organic LED) sets coming out, which will drive the price down of other technologies.

OLED

Is that a minituarised version of CRTs?

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2005, 12:04:15 AM »
I am not sure who makes there pannels,  
But if you have a chance look at the panasonic ones,  They just switched to a new type of process to increase the life of the units.  T
here is not a better one out there at the monent  for plasma life,  They also have some of the best black levels around,  

If you look at the non consummer versions they are alot of times cheaper then anyones.  But those dont come with tunners, or speakers or anything like that

But then i am a little biased

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2005, 03:11:25 AM »
Originally posted by 1K3
OLED

Is that a minituarised version of CRTs?

nope

organic light emitting diode

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2005, 06:11:26 PM »
Someone who knows something about their stocking system realized that the one in "remote storage facility 1" was actually out back in the main warehouse, so I brought it home today.

So far there's only one real problem, and I'm a total tard apparently.

This thing is a monitor, not a tv.  That's right, no tuner.  Oops.  Why do I need a tuner?  Because NTL in it's infinate wisdom tossed out my old but broken digital cable box with the separate coax, s-vid, and video/sound outputs, and gave me one that has ONLY coax out.  That means that it can only be used with a tv that has a cable tuner, even though the box itself is used to select channels.

I think I may be able to convince NTL to come out and either give me the digital breakout cable or swap me into a new, more useful cable box, but I'm a retard for not noticing that this sucker didn't have a coax input.  It has an antenna input, but no coax.  It has DVI and VGA inputs, 8 inputs in all including 3 digital connectors I've never seen before, but no coax.

Tard -=> eagl.

That's the only issue I'm annoyed at.  The preset contrast was maxed out and there were some other settings that made dark dvd scenes explode in green and pink blotches, but getting rid of those require nothing more than tweaking a few settings.  The picture is very nice too.  I bought a cheap progressive scan dvd player and it turned out to be a piece of junk.  I couldn't even force it into progressive scan mode with the included instructions, so I may return that player.  My older dvd player has 3 vid quality modes, standard, hi-res, and no-flicker, but the manual completely skips that menu so I'm having to experiment to see if I can figure out if one of them forces it into progressive scan mode.  Lots of reading and research into seeing how to make this sucker look better, but it's already a massive improvement.

Even though it doesn't have coax input.  Damn.

Oh yea, I also blew up my subwoofer swapping out cables because I forgot to turn it off before switching the cables out and I think it's not grounded right, so it went "whomp" a few times while swapping the cables.  Now it's not very loud anymore and it makes a loud pop every few minutes when running my stereo in surround mode.  Bummer.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2005, 06:20:20 PM »
Lol... thats abit more trouble that i would have liked, but its all fixable.

Congrats with yer new tube!

err... liquid crystals i mean :)