Author Topic: A gun question for those that know better...  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
A gun question for those that know better...
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2005, 01:09:21 PM »
It weighs less than half what a P220 weighs.  That's a big plus.

I don't know about "more powerful", though.  What do you mean by that?

When choosing a CCW, the most important factor is comfort.  If you are more comfortable with an auto, get that.  If you feel better about a revolver, get that.

As far as what I'd rather carry 100% of the time, I'll choose the Sig.   Most police officers feel the same way.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2005, 01:23:40 PM »
Originally posted by Dago
Funny lazs, but since you are kinda old I will not get indignant with you.

I am neither a woman, small or italian.

My .45 is now 33 years old, and I bought it new.  I have an idea how to handle it.  I also own a Browning Buckmark Bullseye that is fun to shoot, accurate, and came in handy while I was shooting in a competitive league.  I have also used it in bowling pin competitions and did quite well with it.  Those are two of my handguns.

I own a few other weapons, but unlike some, I do it because I enjoy them, not because it fills some need in me to bolster my self-confidence nor because I need to build up my self-esteem.  If that shoe fits you, feel free to wear it.

If you find you need to tell everyone about your weapons, it probably does fit.  Seems you have posted many many times about your weapons.  

As far as "short range" handguns, most handguns are of course "short range" weapons.  A few exceptions might be cited, such as the Thompson Contender, but the majority of shooters have the sense to realize that a rifle is a superior long range weapon.

Proper tool for the job. Not many SWAT snipers are seen hunkering down preparing to take out a bad guy with a revolver.  Fact is, not many police or military carry revolvers anymore.  Gee, I wonder why that is?

The truth is out there if you look.

dago

My buddy of 18 years is SWAT at a Metro-Detroit Police Depratment.  They just turned in 70's era M-16's for M4's.  
Um, they carry a sidearm.  In fact, they are REQUIRED to carry a sidearm.  You know in "SWAT", they're specializing in Sniping, Barricaded Gunmen, etc.   But Dago, your comment highlighted above is one of someone who is now backpeddling.

If you were to take a survey of every cop in the US.  I GUARANTEE you for either Off-Duty or Back-up carry, a snub nosed .357 or .38 will be around 50%.  Why?  because both rounds are effective and for the reliability factor.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2005, 01:39:24 PM »
I don't know about "more powerful", though. What do you mean by that?
biggest rounds are in a revolver hands down..try and find one auto that fires a 500 s&W or a 45/70 round...only problem with a auto..the size of the grip is your clip,,so your restricted to the size of your bullets and power behind them...revolvers dont have this proublem..because the cilinder can be made to support just about any round you wanna put in it with out changing the size of the hand grip..and i hear the 45/70 and s&w kick butt at 100 yards in the magnum reseach bfg..talk about knock down power..lol

i carry a auto mostly..but when im out target shooting..i take my revolvers..only auto i take to the range is my long barrel luger erfurt
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 01:47:36 PM by hyena426 »

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2005, 01:48:09 PM »
If you were to take a survey of every cop in the US. I GUARANTEE you for either Off-Duty or Back-up carry, a snub nosed .357 or .38 will be around 50%. Why? because both rounds are effective and for the reliability factor.

they use those cheap little autoloaders for throw-downs :D
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2005, 02:13:34 PM »
the 340 pd is not only half the weight of a sig but it is much much smaller and... the 125 hp is a better stopper... you can also fire the 340 from your pocket.... several times.   It just makes more sense as an everyday carry gun unless you are planning on an all out war with a dozen cricket paddle weilders.

winter with heavy clothes... you might as well take the sig but... I would just as soon carry my chopped down and despured ruger redhawk in 44 mag.  

Nothing wrong with the auto except maybe the possibility of a jam or not knowing if the safety is on or not (on those with external safety)or accidentaly releasing the mag while carrying...

5 or six shots is plenty... if I didn't think so I would carry some jet loader speedloaders or have the cyl. converted to take full moon clips.

lazs

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2005, 03:28:47 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
they use those cheap little autoloaders for throw-downs :D

hehe.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline GREENTENERAL

• Copper Member
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2005, 05:20:27 PM »
Originally posted by hyena426
biggest rounds are in a revolver hands down..try and find one auto that fires a 500 s&W or a 45/70 round...only problem with a auto..the size of the grip is your clip,,so your restricted to the size of your bullets and power behind them...revolvers dont have this proublem..because the cilinder can be made to support just about any round you wanna put in it with out changing the size of the hand grip..and i hear the 45/70 and s&w kick butt at 100 yards in the magnum reseach bfg..talk about knock down power..lol

i carry a auto mostly..but when im out target shooting..i take my revolvers..only auto i take to the range is my long barrel luger erfurt

Yeah,  I love the 500, I just wish it were a bit smaller so I could carry it all the the time.  My Glock 20 is nice, especially now that I gave it handle job.  It fits alot more comfortably now.  Thank goodness for bedliner!

There are people out there that machine rifle round pepperbox revolvers.  I,ve seen a 22-250 4 shot (very nice).  They are a bit heavy and there is a cup over the back end of the cylinder to keep flames from flying out or something.  I wonder about the legality of those as a carry weapon.

One thing that I used to carry is an old military issue flare gun.  It is the pen type with a spring loaded striker.  I think those are legal just about everywhere.