Author Topic: What about a Recce plane ?  (Read 378 times)

Offline Big G

• Copper Member
What about a Recce plane ?
« on: July 05, 2005, 12:27:09 PM »
I haven't been involved in AH long enough to know if this has been discussed before, but it would sure be interesting from a squad/mission planning perspective?

You could say, have a mossie with cameras and take snapshots and then have some sort of way of showing them to the squad or mission before hand ? Real time info and would be fun as everyone would be after you as they would know there was a raid being planned etc ?
I know we can call up maps and check field status already but this was just a thought to give AH a little bit of spice, zooming over something taking pictures and then having to land and send the pics to the planners etc !

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 01:07:32 PM »
This could work at  the begining of each new map if the fields  could be placed at random with only your home fields shoing on the map,then recon would be needed to find the n m e bases this  would mean finding it  taking pics   and landing back home at base.
Then after  this flight the base would show on the map for all your side,same would work for strat targets and factories.

I  dont  think hiteck could work this yet but in the future maybe
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 01:15:48 PM »
I don't see any real benefit of a recce plane at this point in AH2. Maybe in the future if there was a certain style of gameplay, yes, but now I'm sure it'd make us feel like peeping toms.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 05:18:29 PM »
I've been thinking about this, too. Mostly for special events or for larger squadrons to use. What I thought might work is this...

We get an Uhu, F-5a, or some other photo recce aircraft and a poor sucker (err pilot) goes driving over enemy territory. When he takes a photo, it gets saved on the recce pilot's HDD as a flagged image around 550x550, using GIF format and in B&W only. Once he lands, he hits the "Process Photos" button which uploads selected shots to a server. I'd say no more than ten shots at a time, to save bandwidth. Using the clipboard, the squadron CO, XO, or wing leaders can view the "recce photos" from inside the tower. Smaller 225x225 shots might be viewed from within the cockpit during ingress towards the target.

Using recce to get actual intel would sure open up another aspect of the game for special events and squad ops. Hell, recce pilot might actually be an entry-level spot for squads looking for new members.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 10:33:58 PM »
what for ?????

Here is lesson #2 ,  #1 is how to take off and pull the trigger.

THE RED BARS MEANS ENEMY THERE, THE FLASHING ICONS MEANS ENEMY THERE, THE RED DOTS ARE THE ENEMY, THE GUY WITH THE RED ICON PUMPING BULLETS INTO YOUR TAIL FEATHERS IS THE ENEMY.

I can just see the first "transmission" from recon bird pilot,

recon bird pilot:"i have spotted the enemy! "
everyone elses reply: "you mean over there where the big red darbar is and is the enemy them red dots? "

If thats not enough just click on a base and all its stats are right there also.

Why is the world would it be necessary or even this feature be able to input one iota of game play into this setup ?

I know about carriers being able to scoot around undetected(i know about spies).

recon birds be about as useful as a jeep would be.  Now put a gun on the jeep and that would make it semi useful.

Recon birds will be just another scrape heap sittin in the virtual hanger that only .0001% of the players will use.

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 01:20:42 AM »
Pure Furballers can ignore this

Would help to have an up to date shot of a fields status when your comming in for a Buff run

A screeny (perhaps B&W) of a field (showing which way is north) would allow you to prepare your drop better.

How it would be implemented? perhaps squads only

Weather its worth the effort to impliment it? probably not

Would it be cool? Yep

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
Recce
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 06:56:43 PM »
Sounds like this would work in ToD.
1. home bases only or capitol cities
2. recon strats and bases
3. cordinated ground and air tactics to take reconed targets
4. large ground prescence to hold
5. more complex interdiction based on recon.

Recon could be a big component of ToD.
Uber.