Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 640 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Need some help
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »
Well, I went out and bought a new power supply and hooked it up.  Computer still won't boot up.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Need some help
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 02:07:44 PM »
Not sure exactly how you tested with the meter, but test the new one the same way and see if your results vary from the old PS test.  If so, you had to replace it anyway.  If the PS failed you could still have fried the motherboard (depends on how it happened).  In which case I wouldnt blame the game, it was probably a power spike or the PS went kablooie on its own and spiked the motherboard.  Now if the new PS tests the same as the old one (which I doubt from the figures you supplied), it was probably an overheat problem.  You could still have popped parts on the motherboard, or fried the CPU.  I'd say you've done everything you can to eliminate simple problems.  Now its down to replacement.  A decent shop would usually charge you 40 or 50 bucks to test the motherboard and CPU to see if they are damaged.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Need some help
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 02:41:22 PM »
I actually messed up... I didn't realize the power supply had to be hooked up to the motherboard while you tested it.  It works fine.

I talked to Skuzzy on the phone and he thinks it is probably the mtoherboard.  

Thanks for your help everyone, it is much appreciated.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Need some help
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 05:44:41 PM »
When you take the mainboard out, get a close look at the capacitors and see if any are swollen or burst.
sand

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Need some help
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 05:50:27 PM »
Urchin, it still could be the CPU or RAM, but mommaboard is my suspect.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com