Author Topic: Operation Goodwood Thursday 07/14/05  (Read 305 times)

Offline 68falcon

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
Operation Goodwood Thursday 07/14/05
« on: July 14, 2005, 07:28:42 AM »
Today at 3 PM EST in the SEA
All are welcome to participate

F6F, Corsair, SBD from the Fleet Air Armare sortied from the Furious to sink the enemy cruiser Tirpitz. The Axis scramble all available BF109G6 fighters to protect their ships

Come early pick a ride and plan to win
:)
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 08:07:45 AM »
I may be able to make this event, being on vacation this week. Depends upon what my wife has planned.

We just had a couple from France visiting for 10 days, so the past days I've been a tour guide. We were everywhere from Manhattan to Montauk and just about everything in between. We delivered them to JFK at 6 AM this morning. Wonderful people. We plan visit them in 2007.

By the way 68Falcon, where on Long Island do you live? We're in Terryville, just south of Port Jefferson.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline 68falcon

• Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 09:17:58 AM »
Live in Kings Park .  You notice when you have people from out of town you get to see more of where you live :)
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 09:33:05 AM »
3 pm is tough. WOnt make it -- still a working stiff.

BTW -- Wasnt Goodwood the operation where heavies bombed the Axis front lines during the early Normandy breakout? Or was it the one Monty ran jsut before that, whcih petered out?

(OK, I'm at work but not working -- caught me.)
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline 68falcon

• Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 10:04:30 AM »
Here is the write up by the designer:

The night of July 31, 1944 the German battleship Tirpitz carried out exercises at sea for the last time. Three weeks later the Fleet Air Arm returned to the fray with a series of attacks under the operational codename 'Goodwood I, II, III, IV', using 5 aircraft carriers, Indefatigable, Formidable, Furious, Nabob and Trumpeter. They were determined to end the threat of the Tirpitz to the northern shipping lanes to Murmansk. The FAA, flying Barracuda divebombers, F6F Hellcats, F4F Wildcats and F4U Corsairs made repeated attacks on the Tirpitz while it was anchored in Altenfjord. Much to the dismay of the Kriegsmarine, the Luftwaffe refused to interfere with the Fleet Air Arm operations due to infighting between the offices of Dönitz and Göring. It was inevitable that the FAA was victorious, and while not sinking the Tirpitz, certainly kept it out of the war until the RAF could administer the coupe-de-grace. To ensure a more enjoyable time in this Snap Shot the Luftwaffe temporarily forget their snit with the Kriegsmarine and put fighters up to defend the Tirpitz.
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers

Offline 68falcon

• Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 10:07:35 AM »
BTW for all those who attend the actual event took place off Norway. We do not have a Norway map, the Finrus map which I wanted to use does not have Cruisers. And the Norway portion of the map is a very small area. So...... it is the Baltic Map that will have to suffice  :D
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 03:36:41 PM »
hehe sounds like a vegas roadtrip to the nearest bordello:)....

Had to be a british operation to have such a great codename:):):):D :aok :rofl

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson