Author Topic: Tips please  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Tips please
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 06:28:18 PM »
nah .. just get a good 6 point socket and jump down in the breaker bar .

back to covering eyes ....
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2005, 06:42:55 PM »
I had a little motor pool butter-bar officer that used to whine about lil difficulties such as yours, and rather than getting creative and trying to fix anything, he'd spend hours explaining why he couldn't fix things.

A second loooie can come up with 5 problems for any soultion.

Get a 15mm 1/2" drive socket. Get a lil propane torch. Heat the hell outta the lugnut, pound the socket onto the lug nut and pop it loose with an honest 1/2" breaker bar.

Fer cripes sakes.. a stuck mopar lugnut has a grown marine bamboozled?

I'm shocked!
'
;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Squirrel

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mindspring.com/~p38
Tips please
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2005, 06:43:36 PM »
Sometimes heating the lug with a lighter helps... particularly if you can work quickly and get the lug a little hotter than the stud post on the wheel hub.

Sqrl

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2005, 06:52:39 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
I had a little motor pool butter-bar officer that used to whine about lil difficulties such as yours, and rather than getting creative and trying to fix anything, he'd spend hours explaining why he couldn't fix things.

A second loooie can come up with 5 problems for any soultion.

Get a 15mm 1/2" drive socket. Get a lil propane torch. Heat the hell outta the lugnut, pound the socket onto the lug nut and pop it loose with an honest 1/2" breaker bar.

Fer cripes sakes.. a stuck mopar lugnut has a grown marine bamboozled?

I'm shocked!
'
;)

nobody likes a wise arse!  ;)

Usually I can be pretty creative when it comes to solving problems.  I quiting for right now.  I need more, tools.  when the stores open tomorrow I'll break out the credit card and stock up again. and give it another go tomorrow.

for right now i'm pooped.  It was probably 112 degrees today and I probably shouldnt have been working out side for so long but oh well, I do it 5 days a week working on aircraft why not a car.  

hang comparing a working Sergeant to a boot louie is about as low as you can hit a man  :cool:

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2005, 07:00:06 PM »
You are doing the brakes, so replacing the lugbolt isn't anything.  Put the smoke wrench to it and burn off the lugnut (most of it, then a lick or two with a cold chisel to finish it).  Replace the lug and go on.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Tips please
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2005, 07:12:46 PM »
or heat it til red ... let it cool and it ussually will come off . (been doing that to chev exhaust manifold bolts for yrs now )

a little wd will help too
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2005, 07:25:27 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
You are doing the brakes, so replacing the lugbolt isn't anything.  Put the smoke wrench to it and burn off the lugnut (most of it, then a lick or two with a cold chisel to finish it).  Replace the lug and go on.

Liz i'm ashamed to admit I have no clue what a smoke wrench is?

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2005, 07:30:29 PM »
Oxy/Acetelene Torch. Doubtful you got one in the tool box. Probable you've got an old bernz-o-matic propane rig. That won't cut off the lug nut, but it will get it hot enuff the impact wrench or the 15mm socket with the breaker bar can manage.

hang comparing a working Sergeant to a boot louie is about as low as you can hit a man

Figued it would motivate some creative brain grunt. I see it's working. :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 07:33:24 PM by Hangtime »
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2005, 07:32:30 PM »
Otherwise known as a cutting torch.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2005, 07:49:29 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
Otherwise known as a cutting torch.

nope Don't have one of those.   I'm done for the day.  Gonna take it to the base auto hobby shop tomorrow, they should have just about everything I need.

I need to try the hardest to get the nut off without messin up the lug.  The auto parts store is 20 miles away.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2005, 08:03:45 PM »
Just heat it then.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2005, 08:48:05 PM »
Gunslinger use a "6 point" socket, that won't round it off like a "12 point". Try 17mm or 18mm, also 11/16, whichever fits tightest.

Don't be afraid to use a socket you have to force on the nut, the tighter it fits the better.

Don't just use brute force in one direction only. Go both ways, back and forth, while you work on breaking it loose. Going one way only, you may twist the stud off if the nut is really jammed.

Heating the nut is a great idea.

The hobby shop may have a tool called a "nut splitter". If so, its an alternative if you can't get it to unscrew off.

Too bad you're not close by, I could have that thing off in a few minutes no matter what (I'm an artist with the "hot wrench" if the air wrench doesn't get it ;))

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2005, 08:54:14 PM »
Originally posted by culero
Gunslinger use a "6 point" socket, that won't round it off like a "12 point". Try 17mm or 18mm, also 11/16, whichever fits tightest.

Don't be afraid to use a socket you have to force on the nut, the tighter it fits the better.

Don't just use brute force in one direction only. Go both ways, back and forth, while you work on breaking it loose. Going one way only, you may twist the stud off if the nut is really jammed.

Heating the nut is a great idea.

The hobby shop may have a tool called a "nut splitter". If so, its an alternative if you can't get it to unscrew off.

Too bad you're not close by, I could have that thing off in a few minutes no matter what (I'm an artist with the "hot wrench" if the air wrench doesn't get it ;))

culero

i went out there a second time.  I heated it up a little using a wd40 can and a lighter....yea i know darwin award stuff...but I'm still here.  I'll wait till tomorrow.  the shop at minimum will have a heat gun.  More than that they will have alot of the specialized tools for stuck bolts and such.  Plus I'm not afraid to break their stuff....I dont want to ruin mine or worse my neighbors tools.

thanks for the help guys

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2005, 09:07:09 PM »
Keep us posted, Loooootennnant.

:D

...at home, or abroad.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2005, 09:54:24 PM »
A lighter is a waste of time.. use a burns-a-matic and penetrating oil, its not just for sheep ya know!