Author Topic: Spit9 vs spit5/seafire  (Read 344 times)

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Spit9 vs spit5/seafire
« on: July 24, 2005, 08:58:52 PM »
Given equal e, 1 vs 1, how should a spit 9 approach a spit5?

In the TA, I was playing with the idea to outclimb the spit 5 (3 roc?) and then e fight it after getting about 700-1k alt. What should the spit 9 try to do given equal e with a spit 5?

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Spit9 vs spit5/seafire
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 09:17:02 PM »
I dont fly the spit much, but IMO you should use the vertical as much as possible.  The SpitV will munch the IX in a stallfight.  Try to pull as few G's as possible at first, keep your speed up while going verticle on him.  Keep the attacks fast enough though that he has to constantly react, make him bleed off his speed.  Neither one has a guns advantage, both are fairly fragile planes, and both are fairly evenly matched in top speed and acceleration.  The V has the advantage in horizontal turning only, so if you do find yourself stuck in a flat out turnfight, try to make your turns climb a bit.  Use the extra power (not much) in the IX engine to gain some alt on him in the turns, then roll down on him when the opportunity opens.  You have to make him break out of the horizontal turning competition, or he'll win.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Spit9 vs spit5/seafire
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 10:23:40 PM »
I normal try to rope it off the merge in a fair duel type fight. I find the 9 seems to have a very slight edge in ROC. Pretty much though if I had to pick a spit to fight another spit in I'd choose the 5 hands down. Overall it just feels like a superior plane.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Spit9 vs spit5/seafire
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 03:48:37 PM »
I've been playing with the ROC , spit 9 vs 5.  A couple of times when I got into a little trouble but still had some distance, I simply hit auto climb and climbed away from the 5 until I had about 1k alt advantage and started e fighting again. It seems if the 9 can stay above the 5, he'll be ok. I think a spit9 fighting a spit5 is a lot like a 109 fighting a spit9 (though the roc difference isn't as dramatic). I don't think there's a way to rush it, and you gota make the shots (a big weakness of mine) as I son't see a safe way to saddle up on the 5. Its just amazing how the 5 can still slide out of guns when its waddling. All in all, its a good fight (imo).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 03:56:43 PM by BTW »