Author Topic: Spit XIV usage  (Read 1316 times)

Offline BigB717

• Copper Member
      • http://members.rogers.com/15jg52/
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 02:52:24 AM »
spit14 is slow otd, ponyb la5 can catch it

just stay up a little bit, dont turn to much, and carfull not to get to slow its the most unstable gun platform out there when your slow, it yaws like a bull...

however stay fast, save wep, and keep mid alt your good to go!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 02:54:32 AM by BigB717 »

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 09:34:41 AM »
I've noticed that to BigB.... you can really kick the nose over with that rudder.  It definately does have one of the more powerful rudders out of the planes we have.  

Kev... I can't really say why our experiences are different... but I'd say from 0-10k or so there is very little to choose between the La-7 and Spit 14 in terms of "fighting ability".  The La-7 is more stable, accelerates better, is ~20 mph faster (low, 0-5k or so), turns as well (seems to anyway, from DA experience), and climbs almost as well (~250 fpm less low).  

The Spit definately has better guns, but the La-7 can kill just fine with its 3 cannons.

Offline Ted Strykker

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2005, 09:51:15 AM »
Go play in H2H land.That's about all you see is Spit 14's and tempest's.

Spit 14 will get shot down the same in the MA as in H2H.

Only difference between MA and H2H is you'll see less of them in the MA.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2005, 10:11:38 AM »
Originally posted by SEgunner
Dipstick,

Spits are for dweebs?   Tell that to the Brits who fought all thru WWII and especially BoB.

Well Brits are dweebs. so it only stands to reason..:D

But great. just what the MA needed. More people in EZ Mode  superduper RR planes.

Oh well. should quell some of the requests for a Relaxed realism arena
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2005, 03:51:09 PM »
ya, took one up the other day.  it is a nice plane, and does climb very very well.  it really isn't that fast otd, but its vertical abilities are far better than others.  up high, just a monster.  below 10k, i think starts to lose it's "perkness" put is still good.  oh, i think it burns fuel quite quickly as well.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2005, 04:30:45 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
But great. just what the MA needed. More people in EZ Mode  superduper RR planes.

Try flying and fighting in the Spit XIV and then say that.  It does not, even remotely, match your description.  It is a very taxing fighter to fly in AH.  I can name dozens of fighters in AH that are easier to fly than the Spit XIV.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2005, 04:36:28 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Try flying and fighting in the Spit XIV and then say that.  It does not, even remotely, match your description.  It is a very taxing fighter to fly in AH.  I can name dozens of fighters in AH that are easier to fly than the Spit XIV.

That griffon engine in the snout is a pain to get used to. Torques the 'wrong way', snaps if you even think about turn-fighting in it. Like you say, nowhere near being an easy-mode plane.
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2005, 06:33:48 PM »
Originally posted by pluck
ya, took one up the other day.  it is a nice plane, and does climb very very well.  it really isn't that fast otd, but its vertical abilities are far better than others.  up high, just a monster.  below 10k, i think starts to lose it's "perkness" put is still good.  oh, i think it burns fuel quite quickly as well.

That is why I lose most of them... it has ~20 minutes of fuel with 100% on full throttle.  I damn near always run out of gas in the thing.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2005, 11:28:50 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I've noticed that to BigB.... you can really kick the nose over with that rudder.  It definately does have one of the more powerful rudders out of the planes we have.  

Kev... I can't really say why our experiences are different... but I'd say from 0-10k or so there is very little to choose between the La-7 and Spit 14 in terms of "fighting ability".  The La-7 is more stable, accelerates better, is ~20 mph faster (low, 0-5k or so), turns as well (seems to anyway, from DA experience), and climbs almost as well (~250 fpm less low).  

The Spit definately has better guns, but the La-7 can kill just fine with its 3 cannons.

Wouldn't say experiences are that different.
I'll very rarely go all the way to the deck with it (after all it a high alt plane), but at medium alts it works fine.
No point staying at its best high alt very few up there, those that are dive for deck anyway.
Whole idea is not to get cauight 0-5k where the lala has the edge. But 5k upwards it fits in real nice, especially without the long range "perk plane" tag.
Biggest problem I have is going from the Tiffys 4x20 down to 2x20, keep forgetting I need a slightly longer burst.
As of now it has a 1.6 K/D, not outstanding, but most people are still getting used to it.
Yup even wuth DT's its range is limited, 2x fuel burn really kills it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 11:44:31 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 11:23:54 AM »
Originally posted by Tails
That griffon engine in the snout is a pain to get used to. Torques the 'wrong way', snaps if you even think about turn-fighting in it. Like you say, nowhere near being an easy-mode plane.

Exactly.   It felt heavy and very uncooperative when I flew it last week.  The engine was massively powerful and I was contesting with fighters I normally don't have a prayer of doing anything about, but I had to fight the aircraft the whole time.  In most fighters you point it where you want to go and it will fly that line, with the Spit XIV I felt like I was balancing on a ball and had to fight to keep it going where I wanted constantly.  And that doesn't even begin to talk about the snap rolls if you try to manuver, snap rolls without any warning at all.

The Spit XIV is much harder to fly than the Mossie or Ki-84, my normal rides.  It is much more powerful, but it is not easy to use.

I would actually like to see it unperked and see what happens.  I'd be willing to bet that after a surge of use because of the novelty of an ex-perk plane the La-7, Spit V and N1K2-J would be used more than the Spit XIV.  People wouldn't flock to it after they realized that it has more in common with the Bf109G-10 and Fw190D-9 than it does with the Spitfire Mk V or MK IX.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 11:29:14 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 12:18:48 PM »
The spit14 is the ultimate aggressive BnZ plane... it handles perfectly at ridiculously high speeds, is easy to hit shots with, and zooms better than everything. It's strengths are in line with the G10, except you can't put your tail between your legs and run on the deck ;) You CAN run at 15k or so, though :P

Oh, and the spit14 doesn't seem as uncooperative TnBing when you're used to turning with spits in a G10. It's all relative ;)
Army of Muppets

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2005, 12:51:47 PM »
Originally posted by wetrat
The spit14 is the ultimate aggressive BnZ plane... it handles perfectly at ridiculously high speeds,

I dunno 'bout that.  It can't roll for crap at high speeds.  I repeatedly got there when going ofter Tiffies the otherday.

Maybe the Mossie and Ki-84 spoiled me, but come on, Mossie spoiling me in roll rate?

The problem with turning it is that it gives no warning of a snap roll and that makes it hard.  I find the P-51 to be much better from a piloting standpoint, the Spit XIV just has gobs better power to weight ratio.

It does have a nice, light elevator though, which makes getting in trouble all that much easier of you don't watch yourself.

Why does it snap roll so badly?  It isn't like it's wingloading is stunningly higher than the Mk IX's.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2005, 01:57:09 PM »
I still love the pony-D best though.:D  Dweeb that I am.

Although, I must say, I've been trying out the P47D and the newer N, and I may have found a favorite "alternate" ride. Very impressed with the Jug's handling, and ya can't beat those 8 50s and th huge ammo load.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 01:59:33 PM by slimm50 »

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2005, 02:05:56 PM »
I've noticed that horrible tendency to snap roll, in fact it seems fairly prevalent in all planes now.
Tifft does it and has another nasty habit of snap rolling pulling tight out a steep dive.
Been told all the Spits do it, been told other aircraft do it as well.

This supposed to happen or is it a bug in the FM, I don't remember it in AH1?
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Spit XIV usage
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
I've noticed that horrible tendency to snap roll, in fact it seems fairly prevalent in all planes now.
Tifft does it and has another nasty habit of snap rolling pulling tight out a steep dive.
Been told all the Spits do it, been told other aircraft do it as well.

This supposed to happen or is it a bug in the FM, I don't remember it in AH1?

Many ww2 fighters were known to kill you in a heartbeat in an accelerated stall, which you're experiencing when you "snap roll".  Real life pilots would consider what we do (on the deck maneuvering with full control deflection) to be insanely dangerous.