Author Topic: Mountian Warfare  (Read 408 times)

Offline CJ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/typhoonc77
Mountian Warfare
« on: September 17, 2001, 11:20:00 PM »
To any military experts out there, what does the US know about mountian warfare such as we'd find in Afganistan?  I can't offhand think of a time in our history where we've needed to truly know mountian warfare.  How fast can we learn?  The "pathans" have been doing this for thousands of years.  

How much of an advantage will technology be over these people?  No doubt, we'll have complete air superiority, but we will have to worry about stingers with our helos.  On the ground, tanks will be sort of limited if the terrain is as rough as I'm hearing.  I still think tanks would be necessary in a full scale war with Afganistan, but it could be less decisive than in Desert Storm.  I have a feeling that extremely close air support is going to be key in this war with a shift from anti material and vehicles, to a shift towards anti-personal.

I know the US hasn't been standing still all these years.  They have been refining tactics and developing the weapons and equiptment for all kinds of battles.  Can anyone enlighten me more?

CJ

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Mountian Warfare
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2001, 11:40:00 PM »
Air strikes will more than likely be limited to "large" targets. Training camps, military depots (that probably contain rocks and sticks...), and other targets of military and anti-terrorist concern.

Tanks will likely be limited.

As for mountains, we had some mountains in Vietnam, Iwo Jima, and other islands in the South Pacific. There were a few mountains in Italy.

EDIT: As far as technology, they are far inferior. They may have a secret storage of confiscated or bought-off-the-black-market weapons in the area of small tactical nukes and bio-chem weapons (no doubt from Saddam himself). Remember, Bin Laden is very wealthy and whatever he doesn't have now- I'm sure he's well on his way to buying before the first American steps foot on Afghani soil. Their tactics will no doubt remind some of the older folks here of Vietnam: Guerilla warfare. They know their territory, we don't. They know they are heavily outnumbered and have limited resources, so they will try to take as many of us with them.

When they display "America's New War" on the television, no doubt you can take it word for word. This will be a new war, with new warfare and new tactics. It's something we've never seen before, not only will the battefield be the enemies soil- but on our own as well.

That's my 2cents of course.

Other than that, lets wait and see.
-SW

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: SWulfe ]

Offline Sorrow[S=A]

• Zinc Member
Mountian Warfare
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2001, 06:16:00 PM »
The US has extensive experience in mountain warfare. Half the training the light infantry recieves is in the east coast mountain ranges. Mechanized are unlikely to be used given the surroundings.

Pound for pound, I would say the US infantry is probably most at home in a mountain enviroment. Conversly marines tend to be most effective in desert and urban enviroments. Mind you either could kick bellybutton in a serious way if you stuck them on the moon.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Mountian Warfare
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2001, 08:56:00 PM »
I'd like to think they'd starve them out of the hills with surround and blockcade tactics rather than go in after them. Make them come down out of the caves to us...

Then again you can have Special Ops sit off in the distance and laser the targets for the smart bombs.

I'd rather shoot for a longer safer (for the allies) war than a faster & bloodier one...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
Mountian Warfare
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
CJ;

Thanks for your thoughtful post.  Many of these have been, understandably, quite ranting.  While I obviously don't know what's going to happen, I respectfully draw your attention to the history of the 10th Mountain Division as an example of the long held mountain warfare experience the U.S. can draw upon. Here's the URL.  Interesting reading.   http://www.10thmtndivassoc.org/

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: Syzygy ]