Author Topic: winCE / pocketPC advice  (Read 261 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
winCE / pocketPC advice
« on: July 21, 2005, 07:17:18 PM »
Heya guys

Anyone have any recommendations for a winCE pocket pc handheld?  My wife has a palm 505 but wants to be able to view/edit word, ppt, and excel docs so I figure a winCE handheld is the way to go.  It shouldn't be much larger (if any) than a palm device but features such as storage, cpu speed, battery life, and built-in wifi are desired features.

Any advice or recommendations will be appreciated.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
winCE / pocketPC advice
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 01:59:59 PM »
Eagl,

My palm-powered device can view/edit word and excel, and can view Powerpoint, and it is two years old. I think new models can now edit powerpoint too, but can't imagine why you'd want to.

I mention this because I can't think of any of my clients who have been happy with WinCE *after* using PalmOS for any length of time. Once you get used to Palm's lean and mean way of dealing with a small screen, MS's cumbersome, plodding interface always seems to get in the way. Heck, I have two clients who sold their WinCE devices on ebay and went back to Palm again.

New users, in my experience, take to it rather well.

Anyway, I'm interested in what current WinCE people recommend too...

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline 345

• Zinc Member
winCE / pocketPC advice
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 06:48:23 PM »
It depends on your desires. I've had Palm and PPC and I've ended up with PPC as I want the large bulky but fast and feature packed brick that just fits in a front pocket which is my Hp 4705. :) For small, light, and pretty you'll have to ask someone else. :)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
winCE / pocketPC advice
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 08:51:35 AM »
llama,

What software do you use for that?  Is there a reasonably priced office-like suite for palm?  My wife has an palm 505...

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
winCE / pocketPC advice
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 01:58:16 PM »
Eagl,

You want QuickOffice Premiere, for $40, from:
http://www.quickoffice.com/palmos/index.html

I use a non-current version that came bundled with my most recent PlamOS device (a Kyocera 7135), but the new version seems to do everything you want.

I find that if I use the external folding keyboard, Quickword has a bit of a delay, which WordSmith never had. Perhaps the new version clears that up.

Of course, there's a demo version you can try out too.

Hope this helps,
Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
winCE / pocketPC advice
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 03:08:59 PM »
Thanks!  That's a heck of a lot cheaper than a $600 pocket pc.