Author Topic: Boeing HQ moves, rest to follow gradually? Nothing new here:  (Read 1135 times)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Boeing HQ moves, rest to follow gradually? Nothing new here:
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2001, 01:29:00 PM »
Why don't they move to Oregon?  We don't have a sales tax.    (Our property taxes are higher though.)  What's even better is that I can go to any state and buy things, and if I show them Oregon ID, I don't have to pay their sales tax either.      

Oregon, especially the Portland/Beaverton area has many high tech companies:  Intel (guess) , Tectronics (scopes, test equipment) (sp), Sony (makes CDs) , Hyundai (dram) , HMT (hard disk platters), PSC (barcode scanners), Hewlett Packard (ink jet printer division), Agilent (spin off of HP, cell phones, white leds, etc), Nike (shoes), etc.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2001, 01:35:00 PM »
Not sure bloom, I'm sure they entertained the idea, but I'm sure it came down to the taxes that the local Gov't would levie on a big business would not be cost efficient, we do have Boeing of Portland, and they might have used that as a 'tax model'.

Don't forget, Dumb Dems and Repubs like to tax big companies, (remember, they are the bad guys! Corporate America!)

Smart Dems and Repubs,like those in Chicago and Denver, know economics enough to make their states enticing for big business tax wise, then proceed to tax the piss outta the workers that work for that company, or the smaller businesses that 'feed' off that big company.

Of course its not just one reason, but local taxes levied, poor energy planning among other intangiables have brought them to this point, and they are not alone:
Companies in the Western region have also been impacted. High-technology Internet
equipment giant Cisco Systems (NYSE:CSCO - news) said it would scale back plans
for expansion in California, partially due to concerns about electricity shortages.

Alcoa Inc., (NYSE:AA - news) the world's largest aluminum producer, said this
week it would extend production cutbacks at its Ferndale, Wash., smelter, allowing it
to sell back 281 megawatts of electricity for distribution on the West Coast.

Instead of running the smelter out West, the company said it would restart production
at an Indiana plant that had been idled since 1993.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-22-2001).]

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
Kansas, the earth doesn't roll when you flick a light switch the light always comes on

I was born in Brainard Mn, and lived in Fairmont,MN til the 8th grade

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2001, 04:51:00 PM »

Why don't they move to Oregon? We don't have a sales tax.  (Our property taxes are higher though.)

I didn't pay $4000 in property tax last year... and besides... income and private property taxes usually aren't big buisness' primary concern... its corperate taxes.

Oregon offers some pretty serious tax breaks to companies offering to bring X ammount of jobs in.  There are also special considerations for companies that have excessive capital expenses.  For example, it may only cost $400m to build an Intel fab.. but it will cost $2.2b to put the necessary equipment in it.  The capital expense isn't the property, but rather the equipment.  With fabs that escalates very quickly.

They really don't offer anything that would help someone move a headquarters down here... not unless they were bringing some real jobs with them.

Also, Boeing has something of a reputation for layoffs during downturns... something that virtually every city in America would rather have associated with Seattle as in "Seattle-based Boeing is laying of one million people.  Hiring is ramping rapidly to meet this goal."  Better to have it associated with that even-wetter-than-Portland city.

Also.. who wants em?  Fricking washington hippies!  Er.. wait.. maybe Eugene will take em?

AKDejaVu

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2001, 07:12:00 PM »
Boeing should stay where they are and break their unions. Where are the workers going to go? Airbus? There are no other companies to run too.That would save them more in the end. Have you seen some of the bonuses and holidays these yoyos get...Replace them with hungry 18 year olds willing to sweep that floor for $12 per hour and 2 week holidays.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2001, 08:05:00 PM »
nah they should come to Florida!

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2001, 09:13:00 PM »
ugh 1776... I lived in Lawrence for 6 months... It was 6 months too long.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2001, 12:21:00 AM »
So I take it you flunked out of KU?

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2001, 03:59:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:

Eagler, Washington state is just an extension of California...we are now just as expensive, and heavily taxed.  Think about this, in King county, where Seattle resides, the avg 1800 sq.ft house, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, avgs. $249,000....a quarter of a million bucks for a very modest house!

Rip,
That same house here would cost you Around $500,000 US, as for taxes, I paid 51% taxes last year so do not squeak  

------------------
!!! Heater !!!

Shit Happens All The Time

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

[This message has been edited by Heater (edited 03-23-2001).]
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2001, 07:12:00 AM »
Economic globalization, fun isn't it?

I have a hunch that ten-year-old Vietnamese girls will be building 747's in the near future.

"All your wing section are belong to us"  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2001, 07:49:00 AM »

Originally posted by blur:
Economic globalization, fun isn't it?

I have a hunch that ten-year-old Vietnamese girls will be building 747's in the near future.

"All your wing section are belong to us"  

Hehe, so true Blur!  Wings are no longer considered 'proprietary' so they *are* going to offload the last majors that Seattle actually builds.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2001, 10:32:00 AM »

Originally posted by Heater:
 Rip,
That same house here would cost you Around $500,000 US, as for taxes, I paid 51% taxes last year so do not squeak    

Ya just miles north west of Ripsnort I pay taxes like that. But after conversion to US dollars my house would be < 200 000. 40 year old house though.
Im sure it will all work our for Rip. He seems like the kind of guy that always lands on his feet.