Author Topic: A stick for me :)  (Read 426 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
A stick for me :)
« on: July 17, 2005, 01:15:36 PM »
Hi all, I have been playing AH2 for 2 months now & I was thinking about getting a stick, at the moment im playing with my dell PS2 mouse :)

Can you guys please tell me the advantages of using a stick (if any) & give me some advice on a fantastic long term one please.

At the moment I like the look of the Hotas Cougar, what do you guys think of it ?

Kazaa

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline SarinGas

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 02:02:42 PM »
Its all about personal prefference. Personally I find it much easier to fly with a joystick. Also look on ebay for a MS SIdewinder Precision 2 usb joystick if your going to get one, I've had mine for a lil over 5 years. Stay away from Saitek, Logicrap I mean Logitech, and CH sticks. Thrustmasters are ok too.

Offline scspook

• Copper Member
      • The Skeleton Crew BBS
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 05:06:38 PM »
I have the Cougar Hotas accompanied by IJ's gimbals mod and Cubbys hall sensors. These mods mean you double the price of the original HOTAS. So if your wiling to pay $700 Aus in my case, plus $700 more to get the best HOTAS on the planet, they are a great idea.

Despite many posts that claim problems with the original Cougar HOTAS, I had mine for 2 years without any problem whatsoever. So dont believe all the bunk you read on BBS's to the negative. Most I believe are happy with their system.  You need to be aware that there is little to no aftermarket support for the Cougar now. Any help or mods you want to make generally come either from yourself or other players with that stick.

Before you shell out all that money it would pay to visit the Cougar world site and read up on the HOTAS.  Check out what mods exist and what real problems have existed for the unfortunate.

http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/

Learning how to program the Cougar can be nightmare for the uninitated.  Foxy GUI is a beautiful little 3rd party program that comes with your Cougar software which alleviates this problem.  It will allow you to get your Cougar profile in no time at all.  That said, you can jump straight into action with any game using direct X so you can use it, out of the box.

With the above said. Ive experienced no problems with my Cougar.  I use USB CH Pro pedals as my rudders, I have both IJ and Cubby's mods installed for extra effectiveness in the air. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to.  The price paid for this pleasure is the only sacrifice your likely to make in the purchase of this stick.   Well....that and your head when the missus finds out! LOL.

In the air, the Cougar Hotas has no equal (Insert own personal biase opinon here)  Its smooth, accurate and the variety of programming selections open to you is second to none. I love the damn thing.  Its rugged and built to take the abuse other gamers come unstuck with, with their plasticky KMart, Ebay specials.

If it looks, feels and smells like a Fighter stick, it is a Fighter stick.  The Cougar Hotas is all that and more.

Reccomendation.

If you can afford it, get Cubby and IJ's mods. (See cougar world site)  No spiking ever again, smooth JStick action in a fight.

...Then again, if you get a Cougar, chances are I may meet you in the air in a hostile action!......hmmmm....you'd be better off with a Saitek!

:)

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 06:44:06 PM »
thrustmaster top gun afterburner force feedback.

awsome stick.

thrustmaster home

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 08:00:44 PM »
Originally posted by SarinGas
Its all about personal prefference. Personally I find it much easier to fly with a joystick.

What he said... I was into online racing for a few years, If any of you are familiar with Grand Prix Legends (GPL), you know the learning curve is huge, similar to AH & AW.
There was a guy in our racing league that consistantly beat the crap out of is in the online races... he was using a mouse!
He actually spent the money on  wheel and pedals to try to get closer to realism, his racing went bad and he said nutz to this, went back to the mouse and then continued to whack us LOL.
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 09:31:51 PM »
ch products ..... period.

out last, out perform.

just stick and rudder peddles, no funky hotas.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 10:26:06 PM »
CH gear.  My rig is over 8 years old and still solid.  Some people love the Cougars, but lots more people hate em.  I wouldnt buy it unless you can get your hands on one and try it out for feel, to see if it suits you.  Same for the top end Saiteks that some people will recommend.  Go to the store and play with one.  See how it feels in your hand.  

I'm not trying to put down the sticks the other guys use.  You should use what's comfortable and is a good value for your money.  You want a cheap stick?  Better pay extra so you can take it back, because you will.  Many times.  You also need to be patient, and be able to go to the store and exchange it frequently, otherwise dont buy a cheap one.  You'll just be mad when it breaks (notice I didnt say IF) or if it's bad out of the box.  

I've tried lots of cheaper brands when I wanted more function than my old stick offers, or when I wanted to try USB.  I keep coming back to my old Flightstick Pro and pedals.  Nothing feels like em.  Nothing LASTS like em.  Like I said, over 8 years of use and they still work.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 08:42:02 AM »
Thrustmaster TopGun Afterburner 2, not enough buttons and head switch out after 15 month of AH2.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 12:05:49 PM »
I had a little chat to some of the people on AH2, A lot of people said that the Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback made by MS is a great stick too start off with, im sold on it.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 02:26:47 PM »
Good luck finding one.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 03:13:53 AM »
I also love CH Products joysticks.  I've been using them since the late 1990's.  I like the feel, and they seem sturdy.  I also like CH Products pedals.

For air combat, I think a joystick is necessary.  There are people here and there who can do well with a mouse, but I think that, for the vast majority of people, flying with a mouse is a huge handicap.