Author Topic: yet another 38 film  (Read 719 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
yet another 38 film
« on: July 29, 2005, 12:55:41 AM »
Two short ones.  I sometimes read here people talking about practicing things offline.  Which is typically a forgien concept to me, but there is one exception.  I do occationally practice stalls offline.  Which is one brief film clip.

The other film clip is an example of what that practice yeilds in the MA.

Stall artist

Offline WOZ30BAT

• Zinc Member
yet another 38 film
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 12:22:24 PM »
That was cool, but i take you had little control in spin. ??  Also, in my viewer you still had a DT. Did you forget to jettison it or do you keep it all the time? Also I admired your gunnery, you hit every plane that was nose was facing...the Ki-84, you even got a small piece of the yak...How go you guys get so good in gunnery? Are you looking @ the range icon or just watching the plane itself? And do you really use the gunsight or you just "know where to shoot".  Great films...I visit the 479th Library a lot & also PJU.
IN Game: Sidious

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
yet another 38 film
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 05:15:23 PM »
Thanks, hope that stuff helps with the learning curve.  

Actually I intentionally caused it to spin with the rudder, if I had done nothing, it would have just fallen flat facing a constant heading.  You might notice, that when I connected the shot in the spin I reversed the spin rotation from left to right.  The measure of control I had was the compass heading my nose would point at, with the use of rudder.

To recover from a flat stall in a P38, you need to remove 1 of 2 contributing factors, either fully retract flaps, or cut throttle.  Then nose down for forward momentum.  The combination of those 2 forces leave you stuck falling flat.

I might also point out I made a choice to not recover from the flat stall until after the next merge.  If I had nosed down to recover, my rate of decent would have put me under (in front of) the la7.  Instead my rate of decent was much slower than what the la7 was pulling in a split-s and we met at the same altitude.

Oh, and yea, if you notice just before the film ends I cut the drop tank.  Was too busy trying to make shots/avoid shots up to that point, and I didnt spot the threat from the la7 early enough to mess with it before hand.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
yet another 38 film
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 12:13:24 AM »
All the films posted in the Training & Help Forum are nice, but the ones most interesting are the ones where the film poster is asking for help or the film poster  gives dialogue/description of what he is doing in the film and why he is doing it, as Murdr has just done.

If one posts a film and just say here, check this out, how can the newer players gain any information at all out of the film if they are not told what to be looking for and why the pilot ( film maker ) is doing or using a particular tactic

good dialogue of your film Murdr, hope others follow suit, will make for a much better Training and help section.......:)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
yet another 38 film
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 06:12:34 PM »
Regarding the gunnery question, my and others thoughts on that subject were in this thread

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
yet another 38 film
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 09:00:05 AM »
Originally posted by WOZ30BAT
That was cool, but i take you had little control in spin. ??  Also, in my viewer you still had a DT. Did you forget to jettison it or do you keep it all the time? Also I admired your gunnery, you hit every plane that was nose was facing...the Ki-84, you even got a small piece of the yak...How go you guys get so good in gunnery? Are you looking @ the range icon or just watching the plane itself? And do you really use the gunsight or you just "know where to shoot".  Great films...I visit the 479th Library a lot & also PJU.

As pellik once said "Real men fly with 75% and dt in any fight" or something like that:eek:

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
dead 6 shots
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 10:14:06 AM »
Personally I have no probs with ded 6 shots, anybody gives me a ded 6 shot then i will cut them in half with  whatever i'm in... U just have to have patience and a steady hand, come in lower than his 6 if you can be cause they have poor visibility there, and just take proper aim... if im in a 38 and my covergance is all the way out to 650, i can drop em with a 2 second burst at D 1000
sometimes 1k, just wait and be patiant and line that pipper up right on his tail with the two horizontals on his wings and I promise you will not miss.... Now if you are in a wing gun mounted plane such as a spit, and your convergance is set at 300 which i set mine at, then your not going to hit him at all with a 6 shot until you get to within d400, because the way the bullets converge, anything over that the bullits will cross    eachother and miss on each side wide of his wings... in s situation like that, fire a 1 second burst over his left shoulder and he will break right, you know he's going right, so after that burst set up in lead pursuit to the right and wait until you have a great side profile deflection and aim aim aim, i cant stress it enogh you have to aim, pick an imaginary spot in front of his AC's path of travel and fire a bunch of 1/2 second bursts... I've landed 8 or 9 kills in a spit 9, by just firing cannons only, i dump all my 303's... 2 well placed shots with a 20mm will knock anything off any plane, except that damn IL2 lol :)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
yet another 38 film
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 02:08:03 PM »
Originally posted by SkyChimp
As pellik once said "Real men fly with 75% and dt in any fight" or something like that:eek:

that was me saying that to Kermit as a joke.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
yet another 38 film
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 02:42:09 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
that was me saying that to Kermit as a joke.

ack-ack

Oops to many late nights AkAk

Just wondering does pellik still play? Hey was banned from bbs does that mean ah too?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
yet another 38 film
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 04:43:37 PM »
Pellik has been gone for the last couple of weeks visiting family.  As for the post he made, No Comment.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
yet another 38 film
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 10:21:09 AM »
yeah he's out of town right now.... he has been banned from the BBS but not AH

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
yet another 38 film
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 10:25:04 AM »
he was on last night..

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
another film
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 06:59:16 AM »
film86c

The transition between kill #3 and #4 was fun....and looked pretty too :)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
one more film to complete the set
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 11:20:43 PM »
Needed a low speed turn fight on the deck to complete the set.  The 109 that starts off on my 6 is dispatched along with the would-be cherry-picker spit5 that joins the fight.

whohoo