Author Topic: cv manned guns max range as AA  (Read 477 times)

Offline psob2

• Zinc Member
cv manned guns max range as AA
« on: July 23, 2005, 07:20:08 AM »
does anyone know the max altitude cv or ca manned guns can hit?

in bombers, have been shot down over nmy cv's at an altitude of 10.7 k a few times recently by some of our ace gunners.

was just wondering how high the manned cv guns can reach up and touch me :)

thanks for any help
psob2, psob3, now BTPsob2

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 08:15:18 AM »
Five inch auto puffy ack reaches at least 20k. 5 inch man guns should be no different. Now he rest is only my observations. The proximity seems to be less for manned ack, I seem to need to get closer to the AC then auto ack does to get detonation. And I also beleive that if a manned gun causes 1% of the damage and auto ack does the rest he still gets the kill.I have difficulty after 6k and can't seem to hit anything beyond 8k but a couple of squadies say they hit at 10k if the enemy is flying in a straight line.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 08:20:36 PM »
5" guns will reach 17.5k, + or -  .1 or so, that is distance in yards over land. divide by 3 to get feet it will reach straight up + or - several thousand feet, more likely - , since gravity works.

think of an upside down bowl over CV to get an idea of what kill range looks like.

it can reach you if you are 30k. gunner just need to lead more is all. though you are less likely to get hit. and you less likely to hit CV at 30k. so there. :p

oh, stay away and leave my boats alone. :p

and for being persistant.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 11:10:32 PM »
Speaking of this subject, what is the second number on the range display? One changes while the gun moves and the second is stationary.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 09:04:41 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
Speaking of this subject, what is the second number on the range display? One changes while the gun moves and the second is stationary.

one is the range the gun is, the other is the range you clicked on map.

they both change, the one from map just more slowly from CV movement.

Offline Dlitz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 11:18:17 AM »
DieAz why dont ya tell'em about the time i whooped ya in a PT boat.Its a ship related topic.:p

Offline psob2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 06:23:50 PM »
was hoping you'd respond WMDie. thanks
you are one of the guys giving me fits :)

whats the highest altitude you've actually shot bombers down from over a cv?

have raised my approach height to 12.7k cause of you and one of your teammates.  at least no ones been able to shoot my whole formation of b24s down since i've started going in higher.
though probably i just haven't been unlucky/lucky enough to try and bomb a cv that you were gunning
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 06:40:26 PM by psob2 »
psob2, psob3, now BTPsob2

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dlitz
DieAz why dont ya tell'em about the time i whooped ya in a PT boat.Its a ship related topic.:p

LOL you mean when I was upping HurriCs and popping yer boat outta da water?  popped ya at least 2 times before I either have to RTB or you crippled me enough I auger after I got ya.  

hehehe Dlitz good to see ya on here. :D

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 10:38:22 PM »
Originally posted by psob2
was hoping you'd respond WMDie. thanks
you are one of the guys giving me fits :)

whats the highest altitude you've actually shot bombers down from over a cv?

have raised my approach height to 12.7k cause of you and one of your teammates.  at least no ones been able to shoot my whole formation of b24s down since i've started going in higher.
though probably i just haven't been unlucky/lucky enough to try and bomb a cv that you were gunning

highest Alt? hmmm I have no idea some were out of icon range. I try not to run film during CV gunning, kinda wastes HD space yanno.

once a guy was whining about it, saying he was too high to get hit, blah, blah, blah. I kind of ignore whiners that start hurling personal insults. too long ago for me to remember who it was.

it does get harder to hit a target plane, the higher it gets, but it can be done. my best guess would be, you are not safe at any alt over a CV.

you might want to ask HT or Skuzzy, to get a better answer than I can give you.