Author Topic: Calling All Cooks!  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
I have a great recipe for Chicken Jalfrezi.  

And no I don't eat frogs I'm not a canibal  

LOL nice one.  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2001, 11:26:00 AM »

Originally posted by Dinger:
Terrine de Foie Gras
overcook rather than undercook.  Nobody likes raw liver.
Enjoy!

You have obviously not tasted, fresh from the kill, warm, raw, North American Bison liver flavored with bile
Been some 30 odd years ago and I can still taste it when I think about it.
But pickled tongue! Now there is something to sink your teeth into.  

------------------
OhNooo
smile awhile
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
First, shoot a free range pheasant...and don't hit him too hard. Key on the white ring around his neck, lead that and you won't tear up the meat.

Filet pheasant.

Dredge pieces in flour highly seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika, herbs de provence, poultry seasoning and some red pepper.

Heat 2-3 Tbs Olive oil and some minced garlic in fry pan. When oil is hot, brown pheasant pieces on both sides for about 3-4 minutes each side. Remove to warming oven.

Add about 1/3-1/2 cup chopped shallots to fry pan, stirring around for 2-3 minutes. Add 1- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped mushrooms, fry another 3 minutes.

Deglaze pan with 1/2 cup Marsala wine. Add 1/2 cup Chicken stock and 1/2 cup cream, another good slug of Marsala. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. (I usually toss in a bit more herbs de provence right here too, rubbed between the thumb and fingers to "fine" them a bit.)

Reduce to a slightly thickened sauce, add pheasant pieces, allow to reduce further to a medium thick sauce, turning pheasant pieces to cover throughly.

Server over wild rice or pasta with a chilled white wine.

Life is good.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2001, 11:39:00 AM »
Its no secret here that I'm MR.Mom 3 outta 7 days a week...wife works long hours on the days she works, 12 hours shifts (combined with commuting shes away 14 hours a day).

I usually make stuff from scratch, Chicken and Dumplings (I use Bisquick for dumplings), Tuna noodle casserole, but my all time favorite is an easy dish to make!

(4) Chicken breasts
(1) Can of Cream of Chicken or Cream of Celery soup
(1/2) lb of Swiss Cheese
(1/4) of butter
1 cup of Croutons
(1/4) cup of white wine

Place the Chick breasts into glassware, then slice swiss cheese thinly and place over the top of the chicken.  Mix wine and soup together and spoon over the top of cheese.  Add croutons, and drizzle melted butter over the croutons.  Bake for 30 min. (depending on thickness of chick breasts).

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
sheesh what a bunch of girls - hmpff cooking.....what a bunch o pansies...   ok that said here's my recipe:

assyrian rack of lamb

1 large onion (white or red)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup pomegranite juice
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 racks o' lamb, each with about 8 or 9 ribs

----- directions--------------

- Puree everything but the lamb(obviously) in the blender.
- Rub some mixture into the lamb and place meat into a s shallow glass pan and pour the rest of the mixture over it.
- cover and refrigerate over night
- bring the meat to room temp.
- preheat oven to 450
- wipe off excess marinade.
- place the racks in a roasting pan and roast for 15-20 minutes for medium rare.
*** important: don't overcook this or you will be wasting your time.

serves 2 fdb's or 6 regular people

Offline Corwin

• Copper Member
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2001, 01:16:00 PM »
One foot
One mouth

Insert repeatedly until you die...

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
Ripsnort - I'm dying quickly enough WITHOUT eating that much cheese and butter at once!

When I get home I'll post my mom's recipe for green chile chicken enchiladas...  I love to make 'em, but my wife doesn't like 'em... so maybe you guys can give 'em a try.

Offline niknak

• Zinc Member
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2001, 05:21:00 PM »
EASY CARAMEL BANANAS AND OATS AND CUSTARD.

Melt some butter in a pan add a few teaspoons of brown sugar, cook on a medium heat for 5 mins, add some porridge oats then after a few minutes chopped banana's. Make thick custard in your favourite manner then spoon oats/banana's on top.

Offline goat10

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.home.net/goat10/index.htm
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2001, 07:14:00 PM »
Bring it on Katzer!  
Sounds good  

Ripsnort my hart just stoped reading that one.  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmm

------------------
I Hate It When That Happens!

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2001, 08:01:00 PM »
mmm... enchiladas:
(Kratzer didn't pay off yet, and I'm hungry)
Corn Tortillas
1 Bird
Cheese
Some poblano peppers
onions
flour
Coriander Seed (ground. better yet grind it)
Cumin
Salt
Pepper
garlic
butter
Carrots
Celery
---
Toast the poblanos on a frying pan and chuck 'em into a paper back (closed) for about 30 minutes.  Remove the skins and seeds.  Chop 'em into strips.
Throw the celery, carrots, an onion, the bird, and whatever else you can think of into a pot full of water and boil for about 1 1/2 to 2 ours.  Remove the bird, and strip the meat from the bones.  Pop the bones back in, and let it go some more, depending on how hungry you really are.  Finally, strain out the solid ingredients and take the liquid stock.
In a pan, fry up a little butter, some garlic, the groun cumin and coriander seed, then mix about a cup (maybe less) of flower with stock, until it's a paste.  Add that the the pan, along with the rest of the stock, and mix it up well over low heat.
The roux should cook up.

Meanwhile, shred the cheese and chop up the onions.

Now you get an enchilada dish of some sort, and you set up the assembly line: dip the corn tortilla into the Roux, pull it out, put some chicken in, some onion, some cheese and some poblano pepper, then roll up and put in the casserole dish.  Repeat until you've filled just about every dish you can get your ands on; then pour whatever's left on top.  Cook at 350 or so for about 20 minutes.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2001, 09:51:00 PM »
See... now those sound good...  I like stuff spicy myself, but this recipe is great for when you have people who are into a milder taste, and they are really great anyway...

Kratzer's Ma's Enchiladas
-------------------------
What ya need:
2 boneless chicken breasts
12oz chicken broth
8oz chopped green onions
sliced black olives
grated monteray jack cheese - however ya like...
chopped green chilis (i just use the canned variety)
cumin
corstarch

Boil the chicken (if you have already cooked or leftover chicken, yer set), drain and chop/shred it.  Add in green onions, olives, and cheese (save some cheese for toppin') (off of heat), and mix it up (gotta get dirty and put in yer hands).

in a separate bowl over low heat, mix the broth and the green chiles with salt and cumin to taste.  thicken the broth with cornstarch and COLD water (see instructions on the cornstarch)... add enough to make it the consistency of syrup.

pour enough of this mixture (but not all!) over the chicken mixture and mix it until it all clings together.

In a glass baking pan (I use a 13x9), pour enough of the remaining sauce to cover the pan bottom.

Heat up the tortillas in the microwave so they roll easily, and put a spoonful of the chicken mixture in each tortilla (hell, if you can't figure this part out... i don't know what to tell you), roll 'em, and put 'em in the pan.  When the pan is full, put the rest of the sauce in on top, and top with more cheese, olives, green onions...

back that mofo at 350 until it is bubbly and the top is barely beginning to brown (about 30min)... my Ma recommends covering it with foil for the first 20 minutes to keep it from dryin' out.

viola... enjoy!

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2001, 10:59:00 PM »
Kratzer....that is the girliest thing I have ever seen you post, and you will never live it down  

(my sauerbraten recipe will be put up tomorrow when I can see to type  )

------------------
Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2001, 12:19:00 AM »
If I want to eat well, I cook...

hehe

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2001, 01:15:00 AM »
That ain't fair Toad.  That's just a tease for anybody who's had pheasant and no longer can get them.

I enjoy reading recipes and culling ideas.  I don't like to try recipes so much as I like to steal bits and pieces out of them, but I am looking for a surefire fish taco recipe.  It's so simple that it shouldn't be a problem to come up with something good, but for some reason I don't feel very experimental in doing that.  I culled through a number of recipes and made some awhile back but I was missing something and I couldn't put my finger on it.  It's been about 10 years since I've had a good fish taco.  I'm in the soft fried corn tortilla and shredded cabbage school of fish tacos.  I'm favorable to batter fried fish but also like grilled fish.  If you have a proven winner of a fish taco recipe that fits my bill, please share it with me.  I'm particularly interested in the sauce which usually involves various combinations of sour cream, mayo, or yogurt.  

Here's an official HTC recipe for breakfast tacos that we have at the office once in awhile.  It's a good way to clean out your fridge because you can omit stuff or throw different stuff in and come up with something good.  

Flour tortillas
Eggs, milk, cream or whatever you make your scrambled eggs with
Breakfast sausage (I like the hot variety of Jimmy Dean for this)
Diced onion
Diced bell or poblano pepper
Minced jalopeno if desired
Chopped mushrooms
Diced seeded tomatoes
Fresh cilantro(dried will work but it's lacking)
Garlic powder(more power to you if you use fresh but be careful not to overpower it)
Chili powder
Ground cumin
Salt
Pepper
Shredded cheese- cojack, cheddar, pepperjack, it's all good

Omit, add, or substitute whatever's practical.  Potatoes, green onions, olives, pimientos, whatever.  Proportion the ingredients according to your likes.

Start browning the sausage and add the onion and peppers.  Cook it up and season to taste.  Add the mushrooms and cook them down followed by the tomatoes and then the cilantro.  Set aside and drain the juice.  Scramble the eggs until just about done and then fold the sausage mixture in along with the cheese until melted.  Serve on warm tortillas with salsa.  I like to use a commercial black bean and roasted corn salsa that goes very well with this.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
Calling All Cooks!
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2001, 05:38:00 AM »
Hi Goat10, Great Thread  

My Favourite....

Beef Stroganoff (Note Imperial or Metric - Dont mix).

50g/2oz Butter
1 Onion(s) (Big if you like onion smaller if you don't)
1kg/2lb Fillet Steak
225g/8oz Mushrooms (More if you like mushrooms less if not)
150ml/5fl oz Sour Cream
Salt/Peper to taste.

Chop Onion(s) (Not to fine)
Slice Mushrooms
Cut Steak into Thin Strips

Melt Butter in Frying pan
Add Onion & Fry for about 5 minutes
Add Meat & Fry for about 8 minutes (Or until almost cooked)
Add Mushrooms Fry for another 4 minutes
Stir in Sour Cream, Salt & Pepper
Mix Thoroughly
Heat through Gently

Enjoy.

Very little washing up (Cooks in 1 pan) = more flying time

TTFN
snafu