Author Topic: Commerial aviation advice?  (Read 452 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Commerial aviation advice?
« on: June 26, 2001, 06:35:00 PM »
Hi, I just started taking flying lessons and plan on becoming a commercial pilot.  I've so far accumulated a total of 1.2 hrs!!!!  Damn, might as well messure my flying time in seconds.   :D

Anyway, I'm starting at rock bottom and feel like all pilots are in a secret society and I don't know the hand shake.  My short term goals are to get my PPL, then multi IFR and CPL.  After that I was thinking of going up north and doing some bush flying.

Any advice whatsoever would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2001, 06:46:00 PM »
Well, if that's the plan, the Multi can probably wait a while.

Bush flying is generally singles, lots of 'em on floats. Don't see too many multi's with Tundra Tires.   ;)

Might want to swap the Multi rating for a Sea Plane course and get cleared for float flying. Probably be more useful to you in the near term.

IFR is ALWAYS a good idea. Never know when Mother Nature will decide to give you a
"pop quiz".

Ain't no secret handshake. We all started out pretty much like you're doing.

If there's any secret it's probably "if it's what you really want to do, don't give up."

:D

Good Luck!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2001, 09:19:00 PM »
What Toad said plus this.

If you are in a flight school where you are treated like an outsider, go to another school. They should all have an interest in seeing you succeed, not just in seeing how many hours they can get you to pay for.

Check out various areas to work. Some companies have a "feeder" school that they prefer to hire from.

Look at WHAT you want to do to fly for a living. You want to fly heavy iron or the bush scene? Pick a goal, research how to get there then follow your research. Don't just "shotgun" it hoping you'll hit the mark and get all the right tickets and hours you need. Look at what the requirements are for the goal you set and then go get the ratings and hours you neeed for it.

Don't be afraid to ask those working in the job you want for advice. They most can recall when they were dreaming too. There are MANY ways to skin this cat (sorry furball) and you need to check them out.

If you come to southern AZ in your search, drop me a line. I'll help ya look around!   :)

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2001, 09:45:00 PM »
Ah 30 inch bush hopping tires on a single, that can preform VTO into a slight wind...hehehe.

Bush pilots scare me.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2001, 08:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys!  I really appreciate it!   :)