Author Topic: (WAY OT) Bluetooth experience?  (Read 541 times)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
(WAY OT) Bluetooth experience?
« on: June 27, 2001, 08:06:00 PM »
Do any of you have any experience with it?  A group of us are planning on making use of it for a Senior Project idea we had.

Specifically I'm looking for any ideas (good links) on how to integrate it with flash memory, an 8051 or 6802, and maybe usb.  We have something REALLY COOL in mind, and if it works everyone would want one.  ;)

Atmel makes a really cool single chip tranceiver, but the size of it would make it very tough to integrate for our needs.  (It's VERY small.)

I realize this is a longshot, but I know there are a few Electrical and Computer engineers that play AH.  ;)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2001, 10:02:00 PM »
most bluetooth technology is going to be very small.  That's the point of it.  If you're looking for a transiever that's bigger, you'll have to go solid state.

Hope to God I never have to work on the RF stuff... shudder... there are rumors :(

AKDejaVu

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2001, 11:23:00 AM »
1/2 the problem is solved.  :)  I found a USB to bluetooth module.  (Motorola makes it.)  Now all we have to do is to make the device itself...  I've even got a lead on that.  (Atmel makes a couple single chip devices.)

Now all we have to do is find a way to get an 8051 to address more than 64kb of RAM.  (256 MB would be the minimum.)  All I really need is a memory controller.

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »
huh

what is a bluetooth.

dopy wolf37

Offline agosling

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2001, 08:06:00 PM »
So when is this wireless USB stereo vision visor with view panning based on head motion for immersive AH play going to be ready?  :)

I want one.

If you don't mind your memory being segmented, you can put some "D" flip flops at a dedicated memory position, and treat their output as two additional address lines. That would give you 256k - 4 addresses for the bank address (you need it in each bank). I don't remember if the 8051 has memory mapped I/O. If it doesn't, you just use an I/O address, and get the whole 256k, or use the whole I/O byte and get 16M. Dynamic RAM will, of course, complicate this idea somewhat.

Hope this helps.

Have looked at Bluetooth a lot, and have some applications of my own up my sleeve - none designed yet, though.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »
:eek: You hardware guys scare me...

*goes back to the comfy world of software*   :cool:

Anyways, just heard about bluetooth recently.  Sounds pretty interesting.  Let us know how your project goes!  Good luck and stay focused!  I know how hard it gets when you're in the final project class and you see the light at the end of the tunnel!  This semester is even worse, ONE last elective to deal with...  Down to 5 classes of it left (two this week, damned makeup on friday NIGHT), and then, I get a Master's in Software Engineering!!  The pain will be over...  relief will be felt...  beer will be consumed...  my K/D will go all to hell the next day with the massive hangover!   :D
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline agosling

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2001, 11:04:00 AM »
Oops! Just saw you need 256M. Disregard earlier suggestion. You need dynamic memory ==> You need a memory controller.