Author Topic: New A/C  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
New A/C
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2001, 05:53:00 AM »
Actually, come to think of it, Boeing are building some kind of high-technology centre about 10 miles from where I will live.

What are they like to work for?  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
New A/C
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2001, 12:25:00 PM »
Dowding, if you can overcome the miniscule cog in a gigantic machine syndrome, its one of the best companys to work for.

I've been with Boeing for 24 yrs now.

Btw, I wish Airbus luck with their superjumbo. Were it not for their subsidy funding programs, I doubt they would continue development. It's doubtful they will sell enough to justify the 50 billion it will take to build the first one.

Airports are not particularly enamored of it either as they will have to build special ramps and taxiways to accomodate it.

Airbus is forecasting a 90 minute turnaround rate on flights. On an 800 seater. A bit optimistic I think.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
New A/C
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »

As for the lift being too far to the rear, it actually makes for a more balanced design and generally, lower induced drag, since the canard is actually lifting (If it's an All Flying Canard, which it appears to be

It would have to be providing lift.  The CoG is way too far in front of the wings for it not to do so.

It just seems that it takes the same issues that the SST suffered from and multiplies them  by 3... more weight, most wing lift farther from CoG, longer and pilots even farther from fueslage rotation point.

Maybe the plane will be designed to use the ailerons in conjunction with the canards to make pitch in flight seem less exagerated for the pilots, but no matter how you handle it there, you have to deal with landing a plane with the nose 40 feet off the ground when the rear gear touch.

Its just wierd.  I'd really like to see how they have overcome some of the basic issues.  I'm sure that aircraft developers that have been doing this for decades have already put most of this in check, but I'm curious as to how they did it.

Possibly.. the fueselage itself is also providing lift?  Can't see the bottom profile, but the nose looks more like a leading edge of a wing than the typical "had to end the tube somehow" look of traditional airliners.

AKDejaVu

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
New A/C
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2001, 05:02:00 PM »
Don't forget guys that NASA has a nice little 737 fitted with a pilot cage in the middle of the plane. They fly it from the center of the aircraft using all kinds of cameras to see outside. Add this kind of tech to that plane and you solve the problem with pilots being 40+ feet off the ground when the ass-end touches down.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
New A/C
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2001, 06:24:00 PM »
"Airbus is forecasting a 90 minute turnaround rate on flights. On an 800 seater. A bit optimistic I think."

Yes, I think so too. Takes us a minimum of 45 minutes to turn a 767-300. In fact, anything over about 200 seats takes us 45 minutes.  

As far as landing when you're WAAAAY up in the air...

We're already doing it. I think I recall that proper touchdown in the L-1011 had your eyeballs about 37 feet above the concrete. I'd have to get out the book to be sure, tho.

Anyway, no biggie.  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!