Author Topic: OPF board ops piss all over their communities....  (Read 450 times)

TheWobble

OPF board ops piss all over their communities....
« on: March 30, 2001, 05:16:00 PM »
Well since Operation Flashpoint Demo has come out there have been many people (DUMA and Myself included) have been making "missions" for it, so that people can dont have to sit through the 20 miniute mission they give you that only has about 5 min of actual enemy contact in it.. any way we (and many others) have also found out how to use other weapons than the given ones.
NOTE: Not all of them however because the demo doesent have them all.

the same with vehicles, we got it to where you can fly the UH60 drive BMPs and whatnot..some people wondered "what doese the makers of the game think of all these people "hacking" it"

so a few asked, the developers said that its not a problem and if anything it will help.

shortly there after the demo hit 1 MILLION DOWNLOADS, and if you look at any of the boards you will see 100+ message long threads of people wanting to PRE-order the full game.  Many of the people who ARE going to buy it now were mainly influenced by the user-created ("hacked") missions that allow us to better explore and experence the features of the game.

Then suddenly all the boards announched that they will no longer support "hacking" the demo, all the files they hosted were deleted off servers.  

People asked "why" and we asked the developers what was the matter, the developers said they never did and STILL dont have ANY problems with users editing and making new missions to play with the demo.. the board ops said that they didnt "feel" it was right (even though the people that made the game did) that people should "exploit" the demo this way...um yea ok.

Anyway, I installed a New hd FINALLY yesterday and decided to do a fresh reformat and start from scratch (new car smell) everything went fine untill i needed my OFP utilities again..then i couldent find ANY of the because all the board ops had:
A: deleted them from their servers.
B: deleted all messages pretaining to them.

thats all i had though they had done untill I tried to ask for some help.

I posted a message asking if anyone could mail me the utils i needed
the one that lets you change between different weapons and the one that helps the demo load faster.

About an hour later i checked back to see who had answered the call..

well turns out that because i asked for that info:
A: my message was deleted.
B: I was BANNED from posting on that board.
C: I was benned from posting on several other OFP boards.

also it turns out that almost everybody who had posted about editing the demo even BEFORE they decided against it have also been banned.

OH yea, and get this, the forums that banned me all have specific sections called "scripting and editing" which are where users WERE to post their missions/utilities and stuff.

its this kinda iron handed CRAP really necessary?

P.S. i still managed to get ALL the utils for the game ( somemoe had them on a yahoo group) so if anybody else has lost them in leu of this op-Nazi roadkill e-mail me and i will send the to you.
(they are all very small files)

Sandman_SBM

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2001, 05:58:00 PM »
Hmmm... the developer is okay with it? Post your own site, wobble. Plenty of free servers available.

If you don't have a server of your own, you may also want to consider using something like ezBoard for the message board. It's basically UBB, but hosted on a free server.

And... if it's really popular and necessary... sell advertising!  

[This message has been edited by Sandman_SBM (edited 03-30-2001).]

funked

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2001, 06:03:00 PM »
Wobble, they are running a business.  They obviously found something in these hacked missions that is threatening to their business, and are taking the steps to stop it.  They have been working on this baby for a long time, and they deserve to make a few bucks!

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2001, 06:18:00 PM »
If I read correctly, he said the the developers "said" it was ok, but the board admin said it wasn't. Then they deleated and banned those who could give out the util to anyone else. Dunno?

------------------
semperfi

Everything dead in 30 minutes or less or the next one's free.
-Marines

[This message has been edited by texace (edited 03-30-2001).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
I was wondering why this BBS was loading faster than usual Lately, Missed Ya Wobble  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.