Author Topic: Warbirds: IEN's definition of "free" finally matches the rest of the world's  (Read 2242 times)

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
Warbirds: IEN's definition of "free" finally matches the rest of the world's
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2001, 03:54:00 PM »
WB3 was at one time only one step away from handling the 5500's driver issues. The only problem left was the jittery clouds and their texture tile borders. But, given the demise of 3dfx and the dominance of NVidia, they completely abandoned support for the 5500 and got rid of all the patches they had previously implemented. The aircraft have no bugs (beyond those obvious to everyone else without Voodoo cards), but the terrain looks like some kind of green and black checkerboard pattern in addition to the never solved cloud problem. WB2.77 still runs and looks great.

But it's all a moot question for me anyway. AH still plays better and its graphics are more than acceptable to me despite compromises for fps (the P-51B and F4U-1 birdcage look great to me). Even when WB3 still "mostly" supported the 5500, I played a total of 10 minutes online during the completely free month they had in August. On a purely subjective level, I did not find the flight and gunnery models as good as the AH ones. What little time I had was better spent playing AH.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Warbirds: IEN's definition of "free" finally matches the rest of the world's
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2001, 04:44:00 PM »
Can't argue with that, Salute!