Author Topic: The Name Is Appeasement ... (German Paper Article)  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Godzilla

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
The Name Is Appeasement ... (German Paper Article)
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2005, 08:25:48 PM »
Historically, the UK has ended up being irrelevent.

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2005, 08:42:02 PM »
Originally posted by Godzilla
Historically, the UK has ended up being irrelevent.

Historically, every imperial power has ended up being "irrelevent".
AKHoopy Arabian Knights
google koan: "Your assumptions about the lives of others are in direct relation to your naïve pomposity."

storch

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2005, 09:55:02 PM »
The main rub regarding the war of 1812 were two main issues.

1. the royal navy was interferring with American commerce on the high seas and pressing American merchant sailors into royal navy service.

2.  blockading french ports and disallowing American ships to enter french ports.

after the miraculous allied defeat of napoleon in the northern french town of waterloo the english felt spunky and invaded the North American continent, we declared war and kicked their arse so as to make them wear them as hats, again.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2005, 10:55:29 PM »
4- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users and HTC. Flaming or abusing users is not tolerated.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 12:41:22 AM by MP3 »

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2005, 12:15:29 AM »
4- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users and HTC. Flaming or abusing users is not tolerated.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 12:39:33 AM by MP3 »
AKHoopy Arabian Knights
google koan: "Your assumptions about the lives of others are in direct relation to your naïve pomposity."

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2005, 12:32:35 AM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Nice personal attack.  It fits you.

Oh, the irony.

Hang on, let me rephrase that.

Oh, the irony :rolleyes: :cool: :D
AKHoopy Arabian Knights

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2005, 01:58:31 AM »
Originally posted by storch
The main rub regarding the war of 1812 were two main issues.

1. the royal navy was interferring with American commerce on the high seas and pressing American merchant sailors into royal navy service.

2.  blockading french ports and disallowing American ships to enter french ports.

Ad that from the end of the American Revolution, the United States had been irritated by the failure of the British to withdraw from American territory along the Great Lakes and their backing of the Indians on America's frontiers.

The Treaty of Ghent required the return of the sailors and other POW's, required that Great Britain withdraw from activities south of her Canadian colonies, defined the border, and required that HRH abolish alliances with Indian tribes in American territory.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2005, 03:19:52 AM »
1. To Great Britain the War of I8I2 was simply a burdensome adjunct of its greater struggle against Napoleonic France. To the Canadians it was clearly a case of naked American aggression. But to the Americans it was neither simple nor clear. The United States entered the war with confused objectives and divided loyalties and made peace without settling any of the issues that had induced the nation to go to war.

2. The immediate origins of the war were seizure of American ships, insults and injuries to American seamen by the British Navy, and rapid expansion of the American frontier. The British outrages at sea took two distinct forms. One was the seizure and forced sale of merchant ships and their cargoes for allegedly violating the British blockade of Europe. Although France had declared a counterblockade of the British Isles and had seized American ships, England was the chief offender because its Navy had greater command of the seas. The second, more insulting, type of outrage was the capture of men from American vessels for forced service in the Royal Navy. The pretext for impressment was the search for deserters, who, the British claimed, had taken employment on American vessels.

source
AKHoopy Arabian Knights

storch

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2005, 06:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by AKH
1. To Great Britain the War of I8I2 was simply a burdensome adjunct of its greater struggle against Napoleonic France. To the Canadians it was clearly a case of naked American aggression. But to the Americans it was neither simple nor clear. The United States entered the war with confused objectives and divided loyalties and made peace without settling any of the issues that had induced the nation to go to war.

2. The immediate origins of the war were seizure of American ships, insults and injuries to American seamen by the British Navy, and rapid expansion of the American frontier. The British outrages at sea took two distinct forms. One was the seizure and forced sale of merchant ships and their cargoes for allegedly violating the British blockade of Europe. Although France had declared a counterblockade of the British Isles and had seized American ships, England was the chief offender because its Navy had greater command of the seas. The second, more insulting, type of outrage was the capture of men from American vessels for forced service in the Royal Navy. The pretext for impressment was the search for deserters, who, the British claimed, had taken employment on American vessels.

source

gee, sounds alot like what some of us have been saying while doing it from memory without looking up sources.  did I mention how much I admire your hat?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2005, 06:45:56 AM »

Another Eurobashing troll/US Chestbeating thread from Dago. And yet, mention something negative about the US and he adopts the "holier-than-thou" mantle and squeals like a piglet.

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2005, 06:51:47 AM »
Originally posted by storch
gee, sounds alot like what some of us have been saying while doing it from memory without looking up sources.  did I mention how much I admire your hat?

Well, of course, only a few "minor details" of difference, which obviously don't require any further discussion since we are now in full agreement :rolleyes:

Do you fish with dynamite on a regular basis?
AKHoopy Arabian Knights

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2005, 07:55:57 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e

Another Eurobashing troll/US Chestbeating thread from Dago. And yet, mention something negative about the US and he adopts the "holier-than-thou" mantle and squeals like a piglet.

Let me help you with that:

I think its another Eurobashing troll/US Chestbeating thread from Dago even though he made no comment.  And yet, we bash the U.S. and he adopts the "holier-than-thou" mantle and squeals like a piglet.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2005, 08:10:58 AM »
so u brits still can't admit that your power model was a bad one that was doomed to failure?   Have you noticed that your entire country can be walked across in a couple of days?  We got texans with bigger ranch's

and... you drive on the wrong side of the road and talk funny too.

lazs

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2005, 08:22:40 AM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
Let me help you with that:

I think its another Eurobashing troll/US Chestbeating thread from Dago even though he made no comment.  And yet, we bash the U.S. and he adopts the "holier-than-thou" mantle and squeals like a piglet.

Hey - let's test that theory:

rabbidrabbit - thy name is cowardice.
AKHoopy Arabian Knights

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2005, 08:23:45 AM »
Royal Family? Which one is it again with the ugly hats?

Elton John.

:rofl