Author Topic: It's been mentioned before, but...  (Read 719 times)

Offline Arcades057

• Copper Member
It's been mentioned before, but...
« on: August 14, 2005, 03:03:40 AM »
People complain about dive-bombing/fun-ruining buff pilots, daily.  Here's a few ideas:

1) HEAVY strat targets.  Imagine a huge oil refinery that took lots of bombs to damage (thanks to whoever mentioned it before!) that would call for cooperation between multiple players and would effect the gaming arena for hours, rather than minutes!  Or a city target that would have an effect on the number of troops being alloted to each C-47 (say a city that if dropped 25% would limit the troop load by 25% and so on); an ammunition factory for cannons or machine gun ammunition and one for bombs (or one big Soviet-style mondo factory for both) that would limit the ammunition or bomb load for the country (again, a HEAVY target that would take, say, an entire squad working together to damage to any significant degree and effect the area for longer than 15 minutes); a capital that awarded, say, an ENY penalty for the attacked side (call it a morale lowering attack) and would call for DOZENS of buffs to make any significant dent, but award HIGH points to those who endevoured such a mission.

2) HEAVY AAA defenses at these sites.  Think WWII pilots had to navigate a few batteries?  They had to navigate LOTS of them.  Maybe put 10-15 puffies at these targets, along with heavy 88mms or something to swat buffs from the sky like toys if they got too low (this would also eliminate the dive-bombers if the ack was programmed for level, rather than proximity).

3) B-29 w/out nuke and a bomber version of the ME-262, priced at about the same rate as the ME-262 is now.  A highly priced B-29 would STILL be seen daily in the MA, as would the 262, I think, and it would give those thousands of perks something to be used for.

Also for the GVs...

1) Sherman tank (either with the popgun or the up-gunned Firefly) (un-perked), Pershing (perked), JgdPanzer/Tiger/Panther (perked), Panther (unperked), IS-2 (unperked), ISU 120-150 (PERKED!!!) and another AA gun (for Zazen and the rest).  The Sherman with the up-gunned turret would be a match for just about any tank named in the hands of a skilled driver; the Pershing would be the equalizer to the Tiger; the Jager would be useful for base-killing, tank killing and anything else on the ground; the Panther would be a good addition to the tank family; the IS-2 would be the most powerful unperked vehicle in the game (and end up being perked in a month or so); the ISUs would be PERFECT for anything ground-related and could decimate a town or field in minutes; and the other AA would add a variation to what you see on the ground.

2) More tank towns.  Also maybe spawn points inside of cities, as that's where the best fighting always happens, as you scour the city for that all-too-close "CRACK" sound.  Some of the best times I've had on this game is whispering to the other Rooks about the Tiger hidden in the city that's picking us all off... sneaking around behind him... and then putting a 75mm through its engine and getting the kill message!

3) Find a way to limit or remove the "art" of spawn camping.  This has to be the most annoying part about this game for me.  I like GVing when tank town is up and can usually rack up 4-10 kills by hunting down Knights or Rooks in the town, but more and more, I see my myself getting killed within seconds of launch by someone camped out in the trees directly to my 6.

4) A map specially designed as a "Kursk" scenario of sorts.  Tank bases situated around a wide open area with clear access for aircraft and no trees; only cover is revetments in the ground and ditched dug along the lengths of the area.

And for the fighters...

1) Meteor; more underclassed Japanese bombers; the addition of a lighter-load-carrying B-26 flying from carriers; a few French fighters.

2) Heavier AAA at airfields, the scope increasing as the size of the field does.  Vultching to pad scores would be a thing of the past, when the vultcher had to contend with four 37mms, two 88mms and two 5-inchers as he dove in.

3) All hangars take heavier loads to knock down.  Make the dive-bombing Lancs work for their kills; make the dive-bomb-BOOM-auger-dweebs a thing of the past.

4) Maybe have a system  message "RunStang1 Just Scampered away from Arcades057" whenever someone does the drop and run approach... well, maybe not :)   It would be funny to see it, though...

5) INCREASE lethality on buff guns/ DECREASE the ammount of heat fighters have to put into a buff to get it down.  Firing 250 20mms into a Lanc from my Zero, only to see a smoky engine is getting boring.

6) Increase perk points awarded for multiple kill sorties, cumulative on the amount of kills.  Ie, if you land one kill in an LA-7 you're awarded with, say, 0.68 perks.  If you get two kills you now recieve 0.68 perks, another 0.68 perks, plus the going perk bonus.  Someone landing 8 kills in an LA-7 would recieve a string like this, say:

.68 x 8 + .68 x 8 + going perk bonus per kill.

I think there would be a lot more landed sorties if it was worth the landing of three or four kills.

7) Re-tweek the pilot wound/oil spray coding.  SOme planes seem to get these regardless of the direction of the shot (I've lost my tail gunner and my oil at the same time from a HO in an ME-110, and I've lost chin-gunner and tail-gunner in B-17 from someone firing directly at my 6-o'clock level.

OK, another LOOOOONG post rehashing everything others have said.  I think I've boiled it all down in one post, though!  Tell me what you think.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 08:27:35 AM »
1) HEAVY strat targets. Imagine a huge oil refinery that took lots of bombs to damage (thanks to whoever mentioned it before!) that would call for cooperation between multiple players and would effect the gaming arena for hours, rather than minutes! Or a city target that would have an effect on the number of troops being alloted to each C-47 (say a city that if dropped 25% would limit the troop load by 25% and so on); an ammunition factory for cannons or machine gun ammunition and one for bombs (or one big Soviet-style mondo factory for both) that would limit the ammunition or bomb load for the country (again, a HEAVY target that would take, say, an entire squad working together to damage to any significant degree and effect the area for longer than 15 minutes); a capital that awarded, say, an ENY penalty for the attacked side (call it a morale lowering attack) and would call for DOZENS of buffs to make any significant dent, but award HIGH points to those who endevoured such a mission.

I've always liked this idea. It adds more balance, but would take a very long time to code. You would have to redo all of the supply coding.

2) HEAVY AAA defenses at these sites. Think WWII pilots had to navigate a few batteries? They had to navigate LOTS of them. Maybe put 10-15 puffies at these targets, along with heavy 88mms or something to swat buffs from the sky like toys if they got too low (this would also eliminate the dive-bombers if the ack was programmed for level, rather than proximity).

Just FYI, 88mm guns are puffy; 37mm are the tracers. Unless you're over a CV, then you have 5" puffy and 20/37/40mm tracer rounds.

The problem with that is for the people just flying by. Most maps these days have no zone bases, meaning that factories and strat targets don't turn over to the side that owns the area. If you're just flying by in your Spitfire and 15 88mm puffy guns open up on you, I doubt you'll like it. Unless you want to have the entire puffy ack engine redone as well.

6) Increase perk points awarded for multiple kill sorties, cumulative on the amount of kills. Ie, if you land one kill in an LA-7 you're awarded with, say, 0.68 perks. If you get two kills you now recieve 0.68 perks, another 0.68 perks, plus the going perk bonus. Someone landing 8 kills in an LA-7 would recieve a string like this, say:

.68 x 8 + .68 x 8 + going perk bonus per kill.

I think there would be a lot more landed sorties if it was worth the landing of three or four kills.

This is already implemented.

(Your ENY) / (Enemy ENY) * (Perk Point Bonus) + (Future kills with same formula)

This way, you are awarded for multiple kills and awarded more for beating a plane that's better than you.

I.E. LA7 kills Typhoon with PPB at 1
5/10*1=0.5 perks

FW190A5 kills LA7 and Typhoon at same PPB
(35/5*1=7)+(35/10*1=3.5)=10.5 perks

As for the rest of your post, you need to type less and get more of a life. :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 08:36:17 AM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 11:40:46 AM »
The only problem with Heavier strat targets is the same problem with Strat Targets now. They need to have a greater effect on gameplay to make them worthwhile to bomb.

As it stands now alot of people for the most part only bomb the strats to milkrun and improve their Bomber ranking.

The problem if they make them have a greater effect on gameplay is you will then have people using the age old whine of "you ruined my fun" (God forbid they ever try to protect their fun by defending)

But here is an idea.

Since we have reduced price for some of the perked planes Lets have factories for perked planes which can be directly effected by bombing.

Something along the lines of what Air Warrior had for spits only there woould be several different kinds.

Completely destroy the Tank Factory and Tigers become unavailable. Same thing with 262's Tempests etc etc.

Take it a step further
We can tie them into the ENY system so that the  less numbers a player has the more it has to be destroyed to make perked planes unavailable.

Lets say with somewhat even sides a factory would only have to be 50% destroyed to deny that particular perked item. As numbers become more imbalanced the side with the least numbers would have to have more of its factory destroyed to loose access to perked items upto and including 100%

Doing it this way would help counter some of the horde as more of the hording sides resources (players) would be needed to completely destroy these facilities.

Having a seperate factory for each perked item would help assure that not all items would be denied at the same time. And even farther drain the hording sides resources

Keep the rebuild time at say 20 min so as to keep from having any particular item supressed for an unreasonable amount of time.

This would give buff drivers something useful to bomb and something for the fighters might want to try to defend.

In AW if someone was going after the Spt factory peopel would try to defend it cause they wanted the spits.

Here if someone goes after the oil refinery people most dont really care. And only slightly more people care if they are going after HQ

Another idea might be to have factories for these items by zone.

that is each country having several facories spread out over the map. Obliterate that factory and no perked item will be available in that zone.

Again. gives buff pilots somethign usefull to do and give the fighter jocks something important to defend
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 11:44:47 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Re: It's been mentioned before, but...
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 11:52:41 AM »
Originally posted by Arcades057
3) B-29 w/out nuke and a bomber version of the ME-262, priced at about the same rate as the ME-262 is now.  A highly priced B-29 would STILL be seen daily in the MA, as would the 262, I think, and it would give those thousands of perks something to be used for.

Yeah, B29 wiff No0kIe!!11!!ONE11!!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++