Author Topic: the Brewster  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
the Brewster
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 01:17:48 PM »
Frank would know! He's from wooden shoe land!

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
the Brewster
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 01:32:59 PM »
It's a little too early war for me anyway

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
the Brewster
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 01:39:59 PM »
People complain NOW about how impossible it is to get kills with the P40B, and the guns are the same (if not better on the P40B). Imagine a P40... Only slower... Weaker.. Less manuverable (in general, despite the Brewster out turning the p40B in flat turns, the p40B is more versatile).

Yeah... That's gonna be a REAL success in AH.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
the Brewster
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 01:42:40 PM »
The only thing it WOULD be able to beat, is the P-40 itself!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
the Brewster
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 01:49:04 PM »
Bah.. That P40 is over modeled in its zoom capabilities (but then *I* think most planes in AH are), so it would beat the Brewster hands-down.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
the Brewster
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 02:01:39 PM »
I don't think HTC is even *considering* adding new (ahum..old) planes, Im sure they're busy tuning up the "old" ones

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
the Brewster
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 02:03:06 PM »
Especially since FinRus isn't the most well known, most popular, or heck not even the largest campaign of the war -- no TOD value for a long time.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
the Brewster
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 02:04:57 PM »
I thought that was BoB or the Pacific?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
the Brewster
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 02:09:40 PM »
No, FinRus wasn't BOB. It was later, in '41/42 I believe. They had 109Fs at the time I think.

Brewsters played little (if any) part in the Pacific. I can't see them needed in any PAC TODs. I doubt we'll ever have PAC TODs early enough to warrant the Brewster anyways.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
the Brewster
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 02:12:24 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
No, FinRus wasn't BOB. It was later, in '41/42 I believe. They had 109Fs at the time I think.

No no, I meant that I thought that the BoB or Pacific battle was the largest campaign of the war

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
the Brewster
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 02:25:50 PM »
Oh, I wasn't trying to figure out the largest, I was just saying that FinRus wasn't even close.

For TOD my best bets, on plane availability and how much work it would take:

8th AF bombing (they're doing this now)
late 44'+ PAC war (we already have Ki84 and N1k2, and P47N and 3 P28s, and the B24, etc etc)
'43 RAF vs LW over France and Holland (maybe revolving around bombing air fields?)
Africa '42/'43 (we have C202/205, we'd need a few more italian birds) -- include tanks in this?

I can't see ANY early war TODs because there are just too many problems with the planes, or with the planesets.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
the Brewster
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2005, 02:30:12 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Oh, I wasn't trying to figure out the largest, I was just saying that FinRus wasn't even close.

My fault, read it wrong

My expertice doesn't reach beyond the H2H though, I know nothing of MA, TOD or CT...

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
the Brewster
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 05:09:13 AM »
"People complain NOW about how impossible it is to get kills with the P40B, and the guns are the same (if not better on the P40B). Imagine a P40... Only slower... Weaker.. Less manuverable (in general, despite the Brewster out turning the p40B in flat turns, the p40B is more versatile). "

I don't know where people have got the idea that P40 was "agile" or maneuverable? I have read it to be described more like a "flying brick".

Brewy is maybe slower but not weaker and definitely not less maneuverable. It also had 3 .50Cal and one .30 and later 4 .50Cals.

The entire batch of Brewster model 239 was sold to Finland because it did not fulfill the specifications of US Navy (They chose F4F?). It was considerably lighter than the model 339 which fared very badly in combat. 339 had more power, but the airframe became not that much faster and it became considerably less maneuverable (+armour) and against experienced and better Japanese opposition it was a death trap.

We have used the FM2 as a replacement for Brewy in CT and it is very capable fighter there. Considering a little slower but more maneuverable fighter it would be deadly in correct timeframe.

BTW there are many other planes in hangar which are not used in MA but this game is not all about MA after all.

:rolleyes:

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
the Brewster
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 05:17:03 AM »
I thought the FM2 actually was a 'later' war fighter? How can you compare it to the Brewster?

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
the Brewster
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 06:06:06 AM »
I just don't think anyone would use the Brewster B-239 (Buffalo) with it's Goon engines and general obselesense. I mean God, you might as well get the Gloster Gladiator while you're at it - a biplane (for Chrissakes!), also used in Finland. I know the Buffalo had a high kill ratio in Finland, but against the late war models favoured in the MA with 20mm cannon and high performance engines it would end up in the hanger.
Having said all that, it would be nice to have another plane to choose. The more the merrier. Only, I can think of a lot more that would be far more popular and effective.
Just my opinion.