Author Topic: New pilot reports in  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
New pilot reports in
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005, 08:41:25 PM »
well the blackout is you are pulling too many G's...

you may be fighting a plane with a tighter turning radius, and you just can't hang with it.

may i also recommend, in setup / flight settings uncheck "enable stall limiter"

it allows you to push the plane to the edge.

also, mapping look forward up to your views helps in those turns. look in that position, and "ride the edge of blackout" like most do. hold the tunnle vision so a small view is available, that way you dont black out totally.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Re: OK now that i'm hooked to AH2 Crack
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2005, 08:33:18 AM »
Originally posted by Eagle Eye
I have noticed i seem to always be the slowest plane in the sky.  Yes i am on dial up so i expected delay and lag but.
'Is there a way to fix this.

Also i notice i always black out in turns that are not as tight as planes i am fighting. Why  is this any ideas?

You blacking out for two reasons.

1. Youre going too fast while turning.

2. Youre turning too tight.

Both is not good, since when blacking out your plane loses its Energy, ie its bleeding speed without gaining altitude.

In other words: The slower you fly, the tighter you can turn. Thats like running around a corner. The faster you run, the wider the turn gets.

For each plane, theres an ideal 'corner speed' wich means the speed where it can do a 360° turn in the least amount of time. Below that speed you might be able to turn tighter, but since youre so slow you will take longer to turn around. I think theres a chart for this data somewhere on http://www.netaces.org .

What you want to do is: Either turn in the vertical (immelman) or at least convert your speed into altitude (that way you dont loose the Energy) untill your at corner speed, then turn around and dive to gain back the speed (ie converting the altitude back into speed). Doing that you dont loose your speed as you would by simply pulling a flat turn. This might be the reason why your always 'the slowest plane'.

Of course some planes are better turners than others. A P51 cant turn as tight as a Spitfire V, but still i had Ponies fly circles around my Spit just because the pilot was pulling the edge way better than i did. But dont worry about that too much, it comes with training and practice.

And Mustaines recommendation of disabling stall limiter is very good. It might be a bit more difficult to stay in the air at first, but in the long run, the limiter only costs you a lot of performance.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
New pilot reports in
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2005, 09:01:13 AM »
Originally posted by Eagle Eye
Thanks for the info. I once played a land warfare sim that also had steep learning curve but now i'm considered a major threat. So i'll keep crashing along.;)

Here is a step by step learning plan..

1. Learn to die
2. Learn to take off
3. Learn to crash
4. Learn to land
5. Learn some ACM
6. Learn to shoot someone down
7. Learn to die

Im still on step one. :lol :aok

All planes have their ups and downs.. its all in the hands of the pilot.. Hammy can fly a kite with guns and shoot folks down , BullZ and Cobia can use the A20 as a fighter very sucessfully, and the LTARS and Dirty30 are uber in the GVs.  Thats why step 1 is important.... charge after the horde and learn the skills of the enemy......... and then die. ha ha... :aok
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 09:05:47 AM by 101ABN »

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
New pilot reports in
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2005, 09:16:45 AM »
Welcome to the world of AH!!

A few tips.

1. WEP, War Emergency Power default mapped to "P". It will overheat your engine but does give it a boost.

2. Read http://www.netaces.org it has all the info you need about learnign to fly a war bird. Read up on the planes by reading Soda´s plane evaluation. Find a plane you understand how it should be flown and stick with it. Plane jumping is bad for both gunnery and flying skills. Each gun has its own ballistics and each plane its own characteristics.

3. Learn to understand the concept of energy.

In short.

Energy is the sum of altitude and speed.

Hence you can transform your current energy into speed by giving up altitude and into altitude by giving up speed.

If you dive you transform altitude into speed. If you climb you transform speed into altitude.

By accellerating in level flight you only build up very little energy as you dont build up any altitude.

When you flat turn you nothing but burn energy. Your energy state will be significantly lower after the turn as you have lost alot of speed.

If you instead do a immelman (half loop with half roll at the top) you reverse 180 degree just as with the flat turn but you climb in the manouver so you transform speed into altitude. Hence you dont burn nearly as much energy.

Part of the reason that you feel slowest could be that you flat turn in all your reversals. Hence burn a ton of E while the other pilots conserve theirs.

4. Learn to deal with higher targets.

One of the most common death reasons for noob pilots is that they climb directly at higher targets. DONT EVER do that unless you KNOW that you have more E then the enemy.

If you do this you will stall and fall out of the climb which leaves you hanging like a cherry on a branch waiting to be picked.

Instead when you see a higher target near you extend AWAY from him and when you have about 3k distance start climbing. If he comes for you, watch him and as he is 1.5k behind you break hard left or right. He is comming from up high he will be fast and have a very wide turn rate. He wount hit you, most of the time. Once your turned extend away from him again and climb. Eventually you will be co alt with him. This doesnt mean that you have the same energy state. As you just came out of a climb you will need time to rebuild speed. Do so and then consider attacking him. NOT before you have completed this should consider attacking a higher target.

5. PATIENCE

Beeing patient is what its all about. Point 4 is the situation where you need it the most but you should always be patient when flying. Especially when dealing with high targets but also when flying to battle. You should never fly into a battle without building E first. Always climb.

If a base you wana defend is under heavy attack. Be patient pick the closest base and fly to the base you wana defend. Dont up from it or you will be picked off while you are trying to either takeoff or build some E.

Good luck and see you in the skies.
Tex