Author Topic: My baby made a front page :)  (Read 705 times)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
My baby made a front page :)
« on: December 11, 2001, 03:39:00 AM »
Yeepee! My baby is on the front page of the December issue of the Flyer magazine! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw G-MCOY showing off there all glossy and gorgeous  :cool: And I own 1/12th of her - woohoo!
December issue - Flyer magazine

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2001, 06:57:00 AM »
Looks great and alot of fun too....congrats!

:)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2001, 07:26:00 AM »
COngrats Lynx!  I bet that was exciting!  Great news!

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2001, 07:44:00 AM »
Lynx, how about a few particulars about that bird?
Shortest take-off
Stall speed
Cruise
Range
Engine/hp (mag? elec start?)

Looks like a blast (though a bit cramped?)
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2001, 10:07:00 AM »
CT: Composite Tourer
Design: Flightdesign, Germany

Built: Ukraine (f**king CAA delayed the delivery by ~3 months insisting on production facility audits and all that jazz - with best inetntions no doubt but still annoying as hell)

Engine: Rotax 912S 100hp

Cruise: ~110 kts at ~14 litres (ordinary unleaded)/hour (not sure where they got 18l/hour quoted in the article...) with flaps at -12 (full range - -12 - +40)

Currently we're restricted to 110 kts due to flutter defect of a trim tab discovered on another CT at speeds in excess of 125 kts. I've been up to 130 kts but the Rotax is whining too loudly at max revs :).

Takeoff distance: Hmmmm... I can get her in the air in ~150 feet and then she climbs at 1200-1400 fpm at65-70 kts pointing the nose ~30 degrees up :).

She'll stall at 42 kts (requirement for microlight class) but below 50 kts controls are really wonky and need work to keep flying straight. I land at 60 with full flaps and she needs flying all the way down - it feels like she floats for ages and you have to say "Down girl, down" :)

It's a two seater with loads of space (there's ~ 6-8 inches between shoulders of pilot/passenger) - there's more space around you than you get in a normal sized family saloon.

130 liters of fuel in 2 wing tanks.

She's all carbon fibre and weighs 265kg empty - that's 585lbs!

The drag is, as usual, the legalities - Flightdesign spent a small fortune certifying her as a microlight in the UK hence 265 empty weight to get into 450kg MTOW requirement which leaves all sorts of nonsense fuel loads for 2 biggish blokes inside... But hey - with 600 kgs take-off weight she'll break up at 7.2g... I can live with those figures :)

Light weight also means that one has to be careful when winds are blowing - I was rolling down the runway, a gust came in and she just hopped in the air - ouch!

I have loads of pics - inside and outside but can't get them uploaded anywhere at the moment :(

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
Feel free to e-mail the picks to me... I'll post them for you.

dstaines@teleport.com

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
Yes, pics please  :)

Thats an interesting plane. Sounds really high-tech. Very perky climb rate at take-off!

For comparison, my old Aeronca Champ had the following numbers (the ones I can recall):

65 hp Continental w/wood prop
magneto/manual prop start (throw it by hand)
Stall speed - 39 MPH
Takeoff run - heh, not 150'
Rate of Climb at takeoff - initially maybe 500 fpm at 30 deg climb - with good stiff headwind!  :)
Cruise - 65 - 75 MPH
(reduce above speeds with snow skis installed)
Cieling - Oh, maybe 12 - 16k on a cold winter day... but took about 45 min - 1 hour to get there.
Spins stable at 60 MPH
(no-spin w/skis)
Range about 300-350 miles
12 gal tank/ 80 oct avgas (wire w/bobber gauge, mounted outside in front of windscreen)
Other Instrumentation on bare alum dash:
compass
turn/bank
airspeed
alt
amps
oil press
and thats about it  :)
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century