Author Topic: afraid to fly  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
afraid to fly
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2001, 06:35:00 PM »
Just the opposite here. Never had a problem in a plane (flying it or otherwise). Canyon rims and glass elevators are another thing.   :eek:

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
afraid to fly
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2001, 07:48:00 PM »
Wabbit is right; we all gonna die sooner or later.
Dust to dust, ashes to ashes... It's only life  :)

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
afraid to fly
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2001, 10:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by loser:
btw it is not a fear of heights.  a buddy and me got drunk once and climbed a 806 foot radio tower...

Bingo!

Have a fun trip  
  :)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
afraid to fly
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2001, 11:26:00 PM »
love you hun!

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
afraid to fly
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
It's great(from a certain point of view) for me to read that so many people have the same problem I do. I've always loved planes but I've never liked travelling on them. I dont know why. Like hangtime, I get on, smile at the cabain crew and maybe have a beer. But im tensed up and i generally shut the window. I cant explain it. I love to travel, my whole family lives interstate, so it makes every trip or holiday an exercise in control and stress management. I know that the first and last days i'm going to be stressing about the plane trip.
I agree with losers possible explaination. I hate to be in the passenger seat of a car as well, so i generally drive everywhere. It costs me more in fuel but saves on my nerves. I agree that its probably a fear of not being in control. And also a fear of falling out of the sky and watching the ground get bigger and more detailed, knowing you're about to be killed. Very dead. In little pieces. I always take a book , it helps.
Just to finish off, im not petrified of flying, i dont shake and throw up or not go places if there is a plane trip involved. I just dont like it, its one of the few things(car passenger being another) that really shakes my nerves up. Cheers for letting me know i'm not alone.

G

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
afraid to fly
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2001, 10:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by loser:
how did you guys get over your fear of flying?

60 oz. of Sam Adam's Boston Lager.
sand

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
afraid to fly
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2001, 11:17:00 PM »
I can understand the "not in control" feeling and the discomfort it creates.  I hate riding on the back of a motorcycle, but love driving them.

For a long time, I could not relax on an airliner, and wasn't sure why.  It came alot from the not knowing what was happening up front.  I have been lucky to ride jumpseat on a pretty fair number of airline flights.  Sometimes I did it on short flights for the fun of it, sometimes because it was the only way I could get on the aircraft.  I can tell you this, it helped me relax alot to see how smooth and under control things are in the cockpit.

I wish everyone could have this chance once or twice, its a good view and a good learning experience.  I only get to do it because of I work at an airline in a position authorized to jumpseat.  Its not really a comfortable seat, and given a choice I would rather ride first class, or even an aisle seat in coach, but it is a good chance to see what goes on.
I know doing it helped me relax anyway.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
afraid to fly
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2001, 04:19:00 AM »
Well, best way is to get into a SE-2 Islander that has been repaired using duct tape, then have some idiot tell you to jump out of the plane - and actually do it.

The flying bit will seem quite easy when you realise you don't have to face the fear of jumping out of the plane  :D.