Author Topic: F6f-p  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
F6f-p
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2005, 01:53:40 PM »
1) Toad, seems to me you might be calling the kettle black, Mr. Pot.

2) Hornet, the fact that it's sitting at the factory actually makes it LOSE credibility. Many of the 4x20mm cannon armed SpitVs were flown out as 4x20mm spitVs, then the instant they got to the field were stripped of the outboard guns (put to use wherever they were needed) and flown as 2x20mm birds.

Many P47s flew out to units as 8x50cal birds, and were changed to 6x50cal birds. PE-2s had a very small mushroom shaped window on each side of the radio room, with an ShVak sticking out each side. These were promptly removed in the field.

Considering that most of the photographic evidence showing planes IN SERVICE shows 6x50cals, I'm of the mind that some of these 20mm planes were stripped of their cannon the instant they got to units. Pilots were confident in their "fiddy cals". They could kill with them and HAD been killing with them for years. They knew how to shoot and when to shoot, and changing all that with a cannon I bet most pilots said "Why change a good thing -- if it ain't broke don't fix it".

P.S. The freakin' title of this thread says F6F-P

I'm done with this thread. It's nothing but "whining for a super gun on my favorite bestest plane evar!!!"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
F6f-p
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2005, 04:01:51 PM »
Originally posted by toadkill
karnaak, i welcome your info, because it is only that info, and i take it into account (ill learn from it). & i thank you for not just being a total !@# like ack-ack. he just wont learn from anything. reminds me of the "typical american" (no offence to anyone) who is "right" no matter what. sorry ack, but i have a large hatred for people who are closed minded.

No offense but the only closed minds are yours and hornets.  I also apologize if I offended you in some way in correcting your error about the F6F-5P picture.  I guess not everyone can tell the difference between a .50 caliber machine gun and a 20mm cannon.

There is line from an old classic song, "Free your mind and your bellybutton will soon follow".  Wise words...

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
F6f-p
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2005, 04:04:16 PM »
Originally posted by Hornet33
In referance to the 20mm equipped hellcat without radome pic. You keep harping on the "fact" that it must be a night fighter because it doesn't have camera ports so it can't be a 5P. I NEVER CLAIMED IT WAS A 5P. You keep going on about the 5P. Who cares. Some were armed, some weren't. I'm talking about the ENTIRE FLEET (over 12,000) of fighters here. ALMOST ALL F6F-5(series) fighters were able to take those cannons. That pic is a F6F-5 Hellcat FIGHTER with 20mm's installed at the FACTORY. I'm past the whole N/P had the cannons because my research indicates that regular hellcat fighters had the things also.

You say that no/none/00000 F6F fighters flew in combat with that gun option.

I say that Grumman designed the planes to do so, and manufactured many of them with this option, because that is what the documentaion says.

Show me credible evidince from a reliable source that backs up your claims and I'll belive you. So far you have provided nothing other than your personal opinons and asumptions. Don't show me pics, show me RECORDS of historical value. I know that 99.9% of the pics on the web show 6 .50 cals on the planes but with over 12,000 planes being built and only a couple HUNDRED pics to look at, and allot of those pics are of the SAME airframe. You can't really use that as evidence can you???

I'm going to sit on this for awhile now because I do have a research request into the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum on this topic. I'll wait and see what they send me. Of course if the information is not to your liking you'll probably aurgue that their information is wrong too.

The simple fact is that you failed to show any proof whatsoever that the twin 20mm cannon package was outfitted to any other Hellcat other than the N series and those E series that were upgraded to the N series.

ack-ack

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
F6f-p
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2005, 06:44:28 PM »
We'll wait and see what the Smithsonian sends me about this subject. You may be right. Then again you may wrong. We'll just have to wait and see.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline parin

• Copper Member
F6f-p
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2005, 03:12:03 PM »
"Though most new -5Ns arrived with with two 20mms and 4 .50s, the former were invaribly removed because their flash suppressors unaccountably failed to arrive with them."(Tillman Hellcat the f6f in WWII pg.191)

Well I would love to see 20mms on my Hellcat but I think it was just not that common. I would rather have the rader on the -5N than the 20mms anyways. Also It would be nice if they fixed the loadout options, should beable to carry a bomb in the center possition.
Wgr 21 works great!

Quick Jam from SkyRock...

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
F6f-p
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2005, 03:35:00 PM »
I do agree that the ordnance packages for the F6F-5 in incorrect and should be able not only to carry a bomb in the centerline but also should have the option of being able to carry the "Tiny Tim" rocket pod.  

ack-ack

Offline parin

• Copper Member
F6f-p
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2005, 02:04:12 PM »
The F6F-3 needs to be added, before any night fighter variant. The -3 climbed better than the -5 and pilots prefered it in the vertical to the -5. The -3 was a increadably common varient much more so that the -5P.
Wgr 21 works great!

Quick Jam from SkyRock...

Offline PropSuey

• Zinc Member
F6f-p
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2005, 11:36:23 AM »
I like the F6F and use it often as my primary attack plane so anything that would make it better in the game.....I'm all for it.