« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2005, 04:08:26 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
abit more... 11,30

down to 9,94 kroner for a liter today.. may come down more tomorrow

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Gas
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2005, 09:16:39 AM »
took about 50 pics..  they came out great.  cobras and el caminos and chevelles and vettes and goats and tri five chevies everywhere... some were even drivers.  some were trailer queens...

Seen a guy and his wife with a really nice original cobra... he let some girl sit in it so her friend could take a pic... this is a several hundred grand car..

She thanked him and got out... carefully... then tried to clost the door gently without touching any paint or chrome.. no real results.. he just said... ya gotta slam it a little... she was really rattled and trying to not hurt anything... he said "yer making  too big a deal out of it... just grab it and slam it shut"   He and his wife used this car... It was no trailer queen.   Talked to him about oil coolers and such for 20 minutes..

What do you want to see pics of?

Oh.. felt pretty good... first the guys at the gate directed me and the elky to the participants entrance... I wasn't a participant... and then... I got carded when I tried to get a senior citizen discount..

lazs

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Gas
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2005, 07:34:08 PM »
The problem with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel is distribution. It really disrupts how fuel is moved economically today, since the max sulfur level for the new emission technologies is 15ppm. It leaves the refinery at 7ppm. Jet fuel and heating oil have sulfur in the thousands of ppm range. Off-road diesel above 500 ppm, gasoline at 30 ppm, etc. All use the same pipelines (in batches with a level or "transmix" that is reprocessed), same terminals, same tank compartments (with currently manageable contamination issues) etc. Cross contamination nightmare, or expensive dedicated resources, or the expensive downgrading of product from on-road to off-road. There are liability issues associated with damaging the emissions equipment if it gets above 15 ppm. There are uncertain demand issues (when will the market develop in relation to the supply?). A lot of complication with little wiggle room and no firm process set with 1 year to go, and nobody HAS to carry any specific grade of fuel at retail if it doesn’t make sense for that specific operation.

There hasn't been a refinery come online since 1971 or so, all the refineries operate at peak this time of year, and it will get worse, as some will have to devote resources to making heating oil quite soon---we dont have enough refining capacity, and its all but impossible to BUILD a refinery in this country--tree-huggers in and out of gov't squash that...we have oil in ground that can increase supply, thus lower price, buit those same people dont want THAT to happen either (ANWAR, and last week, a feweral judge in CA squashed an attempt to expend drilling off coast there.)---We get what we deserve--Left's only response is to quit driving SUV's--IT's my understanding that MOST of the oil consumed in US is to create electricity? If someone could find stats

A few questions and a point:

1. How much refining capacity was in place when industry regulation was dropped in 1980. How many refineries? What about 10 years later? Why?

2. What did the tree huggers at the US Geological Survey have to say about “all that oil” in ANWAR? What percentage does that represent of US demand when available? Will it displace foreign oil, or existing domestic wells that operate with more expense? Without price controls what will the impact be to American motorists?

3. In the United States, oil is used mostly for transportation or home heating purposes, although a small percentage is used as a fuel for electricity generating plants (source USEPA). Coal and natural gas are the primary fuels used with power plants.

Charon

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Gas
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2005, 09:31:31 PM »
<=== diesel owner laffing at the petrol pukes pain.

In NZ diesel is taxed at a flat rate, we pay seperate road user charges which are a set rate per Km. Petrol tax is levied as a portion of the petrol price. So as petrol prices increase the government reaps the tax benefits and the petrol users get raped.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Gas
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2005, 09:39:54 PM »
<=== laffing with vulcan. :lol

...was up at a place called Chipping Campden on Sunday. The journey back home is all A-roads with not many opportunities for doing more than 60mph.   Fuel consumption for that leg of the trip came to 59mpg. (Golf 1.9 TDi-150)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Gas
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2005, 09:49:22 PM »
Whoa thats like 20km/liter, thats not bad. My Isuzu Bighorn gets about 12km/liter (aka Opel Monterey, Honda Horizon or Vauxhall Monterey) or 15km/liter on long trips (3.1 tdi)

l

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
Gas
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2005, 10:13:31 PM »
I'm not laffing

My ever increasing fuel bill (petol & diesel) can top $500 a week. And like Vulcan says, much of the $$ goes dirictly to the govt as tax, for them to piss away as they please.

Excel

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Gas
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2005, 07:37:22 AM »
"much of the $$ goes dirictly to the govt as tax, for them to ....."

Pass under the table back to the oil corporations in big envelopes marked "subsidy" and "tax break."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 07:40:05 AM by Westy »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Gas
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2005, 07:58:16 AM »
yep... find it hard to believe that you guys paying so much in tax for fuel are laughing about it... never did get the british sense of humor I guess..

Wait till they make you get down to 7 ppm sulphur and diesel costs a buck or so more per gallon than gas.   At least you won't stink as bad tho.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Gas
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2005, 09:02:27 AM »
Originally posted by Excel1
$$ goes dirictly to the govt as tax, for them to piss away as they please.
OK, that part's not a laffing matter. :mad: But things could be worse - your deputy PM could be a buffoon like our own John Prescott. Talk about pissing money away, he wants to make our cities more women friendly. Plans include the installation of hairdriers in ladies' public toilets.
Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-1743811,00.html
BRITAINS streets are set to be made more female friendly as part of plans by John Prescotts department to civilise city centres. Ideas being considered include crches in nightclubs, separate areas for women on trains and buses and hairdryers in public conveniences.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:   <-- sometimes one is not enough.

Lazs - I tried to explain to you - if the best you get is 13mpg (=15.3mpg on a limey gallon) whereas my best is about 59mpg, even though you're paying half what I pay for fuel, your fuel cost per mile is more than double what I pay. :lol

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Gas
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2005, 09:08:39 AM »
yeah but.... look what you have to drive and where.   My BMW r75 gets over 50 mpg and still does low 13's in the quarter mile..  not bad for a 40 year old bike..  

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Gas
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2005, 09:34:47 AM »
Like I said, driving back from Chipping Campden, there are precious few opportunities to do more than about 60mph. And... if going on a jaunt across Europe - how many times am I going to want to accelerate to do mile in ~13 secs.? I base my car choice on the vehicle that best meets my motoring needs/wants - not the one that gives me the best bragging rights.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Gas
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2005, 09:44:40 AM »
Beetle, the R75 is a motorcycle.  BMW.  You may be familiar with the company, they made a brisk business of powering the fleets of planes that visited your country about 60 years ago.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Gas
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2005, 09:59:21 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Beetle, the R75 is a motorcycle.  BMW.  You may be familiar with the company, they made a brisk business of powering the fleets of planes that visited your country about 60 years ago.
Yes, I know that. And your point, assuming there was one, is.......?

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Gas
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2005, 10:07:41 AM »
I like cheese.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis