Author Topic: Dan Issel and ethnic slurs  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
Dan Issel and ethnic slurs
« on: December 18, 2001, 08:58:00 AM »
For those not up to speed, Dan Issel is the coach of the Denver Nuggets basketball team.  There has been a huge brouhaha about him being caught on tape using an ethnic slur in an argument with a fan that was heckling him.  He's been suspended for 4 games and many hispanic groups have been calling for him to be fired.

I just found out that he called the guy an "<expletive> Mexican."  I don't know what expletive he used.

I am curious how many people would consider this an ethnic slur, especially anyone reading that is Mexican or Mexican-American.  Is it right that this was acted upon as an insult to an ethnic group as opposed to an insult directed solely towards this individual?  

Legitimately curious about what others think of this situation.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Lance ]

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2001, 09:11:00 AM »
I've been called a <expletive> canuck!  I should sue for millions!

What is happening is small groups are making an example out of this guy.  He said the wrong thing, but what we don't know is what the alleged "Mexican was saying to him.

I refuse to take a stand until all the evidence is in....

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: skernsk ]

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2001, 10:59:00 AM »
I haven't heard that much on this, most of what I've heard is people questioning why Denver wouldn't use this as a beautiful excuse to fire such a crappy coach.

Apparantly the guy had been sitting right behind him the entire game heckling, and he finally lost it.  I guess maybe it was a Puerto Rican who did not think much of Mexicans, and was insulted by the comparison?

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2001, 11:57:00 AM »
I've been called a <expletive> canuck! I should sue for millions!

Damn; Skernsky... you ARE a <expletive> canuck!

..and I'm a <expletive> gringo yank pain-in the-ass amelican.

So; sue me!

:D
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2001, 12:58:00 PM »
So calling someone by their nationality is now an ethnic slur? Wonder what the expletive was? Because without it, it doesn't seem like an ethnic slur. Would you be offended if someone called you a <expletive> American? Guess I just don't get this one. I expect Johnny Cochran to make an appearance in this story anytime now.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2001, 02:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Raubvogel:
Would you be offended if someone called you a <expletive> American.

I would know that such a person hates americans.

But that is besides the point that concerns me. I know that most people around me are racist/shauvinist to some extent.

If a guy got so agitated/drung/etc. as to lose control and use an ethnik slur, do we punish him for losing control or for racism?
 Because if we replace him with another guy who never lost his cool on tape, how do we know that he is not racist?

I think a test is in order. At random time, preferably when a subject is a bit drunk or upset, some person of different race should punch him on the nose. If the subject says "SOB" or something else politically correct, he/she is cleared to take the job.
 An examination under lie detector may be a good substitute.

miko

P.S. As for Hispanic groups, if they have any dighity, they should undoubtably boycott any games that involve that coach untill he is fired or they are satisfied with his appologies.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: miko2d ]

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2001, 03:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Raubvogel:
Wonder what the expletive was?

He said "Go drink another beer, you Mexican piece of toejam."  Sounds like a "slur" to me.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2001, 03:19:00 PM »
Yeah I guess. I would have just said "Go drink another beer you piece of toejam." No need to bring race/color into it. All pieces of toejam should be treated equally  ;)

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2001, 04:33:00 PM »
I'm sorry Skernsk.  It was insensitive and I shouldn't have said it.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2001, 05:21:00 PM »
lol i have been called a "flocking (not the word that was used) bellybutton backwards Canadian"

the guy was a Truck driver from Georgia and he said it with such a thick accent i almost puked on his boots i was laughing so hard.

i have also been called a "flocking (ibid) sheep flocking (ibid) Scot.  

again i laughed.

it seems that whenever someone uses a racial or ethnic slur they are just making themselves look like tards.

seems to me mathman and i have traded far more insulting and disgusting remarks on channel one, but then again that is all in jest (i think)

:)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2001, 05:22:00 PM »
Dipshit A had Dipshit B behind him during the whole game heckling him.  Dipshit A let his temper boil over and said something in the heat of the moment that he shouldn't have.  That doesn't make him a racist (maybe he is, I dunno), it makes him human.

I, on the other hand, am prejudiced against whiney farks who can't help but be offended by everything and anything, regardless of their separation from it.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2001, 05:23:00 PM »
PS...Canadians are all just worthless reject squealing Frenchie pansies who wish they could be Ammuricans!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2001, 05:53:00 PM »
Thanks, Sancho.  I hadn't read that quote.

It is certainly an insult and shouldn't have been said, but, hell, I dunno, I guess I feel like the reaction has been excessive.  

Based on the furor over this as presented in the local paper, I thought that Issel had gone on a tirade with comments directed towards all Mexicans as opposed to making one comment characterising one Mexican as a piece of toejam.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2001, 07:19:00 PM »
All this uproar in the news about someone who said one sentence to an amazinhunk who probably deserved to be punched in the face then tossed out of the stadium, but nothing about the whole stadium full of idiots who were throwing bottles at the refs following a football game Sunday, or the team manager and owners who staunchly defended their fans right to assault with intent to maim the officials (the typical charge brought against people who hit others with beer bottles).

And of course the NFL doesn't do anything about it.  IMHO the team ought to be censured and beer sales should be banned at that statium for a year.  If I was a ref, I'd refuse to work in that city ever again, contracts be damned.  

But a few WORDS by a coach, oh the HORROR!  

F**king Americans and their stupid f**king media...

:mad:
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2001, 03:49:00 PM »
OH MY GOD , HE CALLED THAT GUY A STUPID MEXICAN ,, (bet he has never heard that before)
btw , most american / mexicans speak 2 languages , they must be smarter than I  :)