Author Topic: OT OMG did u guys see the trailer for Enemy at the Gate?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
OT OMG did u guys see the trailer for Enemy at the Gate?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
not to say the story isn't gripping...

I enjoyed War of the Rats, and am looking forward to the film.

EDIT: Which is also not to say that I think the film is based on War of the Rats...

They are just all the same story.

[This message has been edited by Kratzer (edited 02-27-2001).]

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2001, 12:59:00 PM »

Originally posted by Wisk-=VF-101=-:
The soviet movies on the topic of WWII were usually quite realistic in the sense that they would end in a tragedy where almost all the main heroes and heroins die.

And most of them were full with bs, propoganda etc, like that "Pobeda" (victory) serial. But some were really great. I probably will add to your list "Batallions ask for a fire support" -- really liked it, and another one great is "Aty-baty walked the soldiers" (line from a children verse).

What is interesting that every single veteran of wwII who I talked with had extremely low opition about a Soviet war movies. Like "politruk" stands first to lead his men to attack -- in reallity most of officers tried to push out of the cover someone else. War is the hell, blood, mud and animal fear -- it is almost NOTHING heroic in it. I still waiting for a movie which will show it more or less realistic. Spilbergs attack on a beach really stunt me, I wish he stoped there and wont turn it into another bs heroic unrealistic saga.

Fariz

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2001, 01:26:00 PM »

Originally posted by Hangtime:
Yup Nash.. check out "War of the Rats", David L Robbins. Heluva read.

If yah like sniper novels, Stephen Hunter writes some good ones too. He refers to the now legendary duel between Zaitsev and Thorvald in some of 'em.. It was a remarkable fight, no more can I tell lest I spoil the ending.  

Gotta second this one...Stephen Hunter writes some excellent stuff.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2001, 05:41:00 PM »
As to the veracity of the sniper duel.. I dunno. I've read about it from three diffrent authors.. two from noted historians with a penchant for detail. I also read Zaitsev's interview. Since he has no English i found it oddly compelling that his account and the american and british historians acoounts were very similar. Neither had interviewed him, and he never read their books. I believe it to be true.. sadly; those books are now buried beneath the other details of 48 years of living as I trim my life's possessions down to a pile small enuff to fit in a 34' sailboat.  

All armed forces look upon their sniper units as a very big potential black eye from a PR and accountability standpoint.. to this day the majority of SOG operations in Vietnam are classified. Understand that when the goverment sends out a sniper team they are empowering the shooter to commit simple murder. Assination from extreme range; with malice and forethought.

Something to think about...

------------------
Hang
1st/AG "Bishlanders"  << Recruiting!!
"Turn to kill, not to engage."
Commander 'Willie' Driscoll, USNR
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
Anyone seen the movie "Stalingrad". It was in German (I believe it was A German production) and I watched it with subtitles all though at the movie rental place they had it with english dubbed over the german. Great flick about 3hrs long or so believe it was released 1995 or so. No doudt more fiction then reality and it took almost an anti-war stance kinda like apocalypse now did with a bit less philosphying by the main characters. At Stalingrad I believe out of 96000 german pow's only 3000 or so ever returned home.

------------------
  Pray not for an end to the slaughter...but for VICTORY!!!

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2001, 10:59:00 AM »

Originally posted by Wotan:
At Stalingrad I believe out of 96000 german pow's only 3000 or so ever returned home.

Close to 5000 from 98000. Only about every 20th returned home.

Hang, Germany would lost the war with or without Stalingrad. It had a little strategical value, almost none, even in initial "Blaw" operation plans. It had idiological value for both sides (named after Stalin etc.) but capturing it could change nothing. Let me remind you that it turned for a big mousetrap for Germans.

Fariz

[This message has been edited by Fariz (edited 03-01-2001).]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »

Originally posted by Hangtime:

All armed forces look upon their sniper units as a very big potential black eye from a PR and accountability standpoint.. to this day the majority of SOG operations in Vietnam are classified. Understand that when the goverment sends out a sniper team they are empowering the shooter to commit simple murder. Assination from extreme range; with malice and forethought.

Something to think about...

If killing one saves thousand's, tens of thousands, it should be done, no if's, and's or but's... screw PR. It's not a popularity contest, it's war.

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2001, 01:03:00 PM »

Originally posted by Eagler:
If killing one saves thousand's, tens of thousands, it should be done, no if's, and's or but's... screw PR. It's not a popularity contest, it's war.

Well, right, but that doesn't remove the public stigma associated with snipers - which is why after both WWI and WWII the US Army closed their sniper programs.

I believe that is what was being referred to...