Author Topic: Sheesh! what a lousy game..  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
Sheesh! what a lousy game..
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2001, 08:02:00 AM »
Toad,
He's gonna have trouble bringing this huge load back in from the Grand Banks....He'll also bring down the price for fish with as many as he is catching.

Cobra

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2001, 08:05:00 AM »
Just in case your serious  
Your handling "Bounce" problem can be altered by going into setup, Joysticks, there are loads of options to adjust.
Personally i have damping and dead zone on zero as i hate the damping effect.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2001, 09:06:00 AM »
 Damn! Your right! This sim does suck. I cant believe i actually paid for this crap, and enjoyed myself. I thank you for pointing out that I really wasnt haveing fun the last year. Hitech really pulled the wool over my eyes. I eagerly await seeing you in WBs. Maby we should exchange icq numbers so we can chat between discoes. <S>

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2001, 09:14:00 AM »
    When I first started playing AH, from leaving Fighter Ops which was a Warbirds mini clone on AOL, run by Warbirds staff. I thought AH was much Harder,but with awesome grafics,far better than FO. So I opened an account with Warbirds and flew over there when I got frustrated with AH, but I never gave up on learning how to enjoy this the game. It took sometime, but well worth it. I closed my account with Warbirds 2 months ago and don't regret it. Give this game a chance before you judge it. I'm possitive you will change your mind with in 6 months

------------------
NHFoxtro
-XO-NightHawks

NightHawks "WE BAD"

[This message has been edited by NHFoxtro (edited 02-26-2001).]

MrSiD

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2001, 09:16:00 AM »
Yeah, surely you all can see that the person who started this topic is not qualified to talk about flight sims.. His evaluation is way off.

On Sprint issue.. Couldn't agree with you more.. it plain sucks.

TheWobble

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
I fooled with WB a while, never opened an account but played with it offline  on and off since about 2 years ago. Compared to AH WB looks....cartoonish..?  Thats the best way I can put it..and the FM feels like it void of atmosphere, I doubt anyone but me can understand what I mean but oh well...

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2001, 10:46:00 AM »
LOL Rosco!  

Dobrmn, yer killing me, man. Must be the connection on your end, because for this 4+ year Warbirder, the connections to AH are sweet compared to the crappy connections I had to Warbirds. You're either a very good troller, or you haven't spent much time in getting things setup to your liking.

Thanks for all the fish! <S>

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2001, 11:44:00 AM »

Originally posted by Dobrmn:
Graphics suck, sounds suck and worse than that... the MAP sucks!. It's a miserable sim altogether...
Dob

LOL! I thought the same thing when I wandered over to the IEN site on Saturday to check out the progress of Vaporbirds III. I saw the Pic of the Week, and I thought "WTF, Fighter Duel Pro is still on the web?"   You're using these graphics as a frame of reference?  

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2001, 12:04:00 PM »
Well Dob..

Ive been flying Aces High since open beta, Ive been flying Warbirds since 94/95 when it was beta. I still have my WB account but dont fly it. Im keeping it open until WB3 is out so i can take a look at it. Why am i flying Aces High instead of my WBs account. Hmmm, better FM better graphics manable gun positions on Ships, PT boat, Typhoon 3D cockpit that is very useable, can move my head around like in a real plane. Convergence settings for each set of guns. Ammo load out inclunding Ord and guns.

The list is endless. As you have only been flying online for a year and a half, ill take your post as being an ignorant newbie.

I started flying in 1989 in AW-DOS moved to Warbirds in 94/95 and Aces High in open beta.. I have enjoyed flying all 3 of these Sims over the last 12 years. I have not belittled any of them for any reason. As i still fly WBs to keep in touch with a lota guys i know, ill never put it down as you have done to Aces High. Both have something to offer and both differ enough for people to select a prefered Sim.

Because the FM in Aces High is beyond your current flying skills (It needs time to get used to) doesnt mean you should go off 1/2 cocked. Instead, do what i did coming outa Warbirds. Adjusted Jstick settings, deadbands, dampening ect.. to get the best out of each fighter. Spend a good bit of time in one, then move to another.

If ya wana whine and give up, do so and leave quietly knowing you cant master a different FM. If you wana stay and learn, there are many guys here that will be glad to help you out. Myself included.

Dog out.......

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2001, 01:04:00 PM »
Hey good thread  

Feel I should comment as I am one of those Dobrmn was referring to who has only ever flown AH for any length online. (Plenty of offline WB and the odd "free Weekend").

Graphics?? What Graphics has WB got? Cool lighting effects? Moving control surfaces, Undercarraige? I don't think so. And the Flight Model? Wasn't Most of HTC responsible for the WB flight model anyway? Don't they think they have progressed somewhat. I don't mean to knock WB and I don't think anyone should. I've never flown a WWII fighter but think AH feels so much more immersive (or is it just the community)?

Nice Troll Dobrmn If you don't like it leave   but don't make comments about the interface until you have explored/tailored it as best you can, and I've seen enough "This Flight Model Sucks" by people who have about as much flying time in WWII iron as myself to realise just how stupid you sound.

Have a nice one (Somewhere else)...

TTFN
snafu

------------------
  snafus Homepage

[This message has been edited by snafu (edited 02-26-2001).]

Strawberry

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2001, 03:23:00 PM »
Just got my AH account yesterday  Flew the two week trial before the FM change, have to say this is a big improvement.  Other than the much better responisivness of AH planes (donno if this is exactly accurate, i dont know if i could apply 40+ pounds of force in 1/3 of a second) the FMs seem pretty much the same.  The tactics and moves in one game work almost the same as in the other.

Then there is guns.  It really does seem to me like in AH the bullets have a 5 foot radius.  With 5 shells remaining in my 30mm of 109G i knocked out a P47 from 400 yards just after coming into a hard turn and way out of trim.  1000 yard shots in F4u also seem very easy to pull off.

Graphics are better in AH than WB, and obviously the tanks and ships add a lot more to the game then the uncontrollable fleets in WB.

For now im keeping both accounts. I still like WB air combat over the AH air combat, but the ground and sea element of AH a really fantastic.

------------------

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2001, 03:26:00 PM »
 Ahhh... The siren call of vaporbirds 111.

Offline discod

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.millionaire.com
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2001, 04:09:00 PM »
Dobrmn, in a few more weeks, and with a few more tweeks, you'll be doing just fine.  It's a 12 step process and your only on step 2.  Here are the next 12 steps you will go through, just be patient:

1. Install game and learn where guns and throttle are

2. Suffer from "Lawn Dart" syndrome

3. Complain that CHOG is "Overmodled"

4. Complain that N1K2 is "Super Uber Dweeb"

5. Complain that Ostwind is overmodled

6. Complain that Ack and Flak guns are too accurate

7. Accuse Mitsu of cheating  

8. Finally kill Mitsu and feel REALLY good  

9. Kill 3 CHOGS and 2 N1K2's in a single mission

10. Successfully de-ack an entire base

11. Save 5 teammates butts in a single mission and live to tell about it.

12. Post advice for "newbies" on the Message Board

We've all been there but it's worth the trip  

PakRat

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2001, 07:30:00 PM »
Flown both and prefer AH.

Doberman - you aren't Hotseat in disguise are you?  

Is WB III going to be another "2 weeks" late?

------------------
Rape, pillage, then burn...

[This message has been edited by PakRat (edited 02-26-2001).]

funked

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2001, 08:19:00 PM »
Dobrmn, please stick around and try to get past the learning curve.  

Just like in WB, there are custom sound files that really improve the experience.  Just go ask in the sound forum and those guys will set you up nicely.  

Yes the FM is different.  It's more detailed and generally more accurate.  The reason your P-47 kept stalling in level flight last night is not because the FM is "crummy".  It's because unlike WB, the weight and drag of 2000 pounds of external ordnance is factored into the flight model.  

Just stick with it and you will get used to it, and you will find a lot of things that are way beyond anything in WB.

I wouldn't worry about the less-friendly responses to this post.  You posted something fairly inflammatory after logging off in frustration.  We all have done that and I'm pretty sure you'll find this crowd a forgiving one.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 02-26-2001).]