Author Topic: Some Ponies  (Read 586 times)

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Some Ponies
« on: September 16, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »
Due to Katrina and various other things, I've been unable to get online for a long time.  However, I've still been working on skins as time permits.  Since my 1st Jug skin somehow got corrupted before I had a template to work on others from, I decided to start from scratch on ponies.  So here are my results so far.  I have no idea if anybody's done these already, so if they have been, sorry for the repeats.  

The 4 Bonies have all been submitted and I'm still waiting on the word.  The D is still in work but getting very close.  I'm deliberately avoiding ETO paintjobs, so what you see here are mostly CBI and a little MTO.

BTW, is there a 2.05 skin viewer out yet?

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
Some Ponies
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 02:43:26 PM »
nice... but they all look the same, just different markings..

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Some Ponies
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 02:57:37 PM »
Well the one with the all yellow tail stands out nicely. What skin is that?

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Some Ponies
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 04:07:58 PM »
nice skins but with so many peeps working on the p51s dont submit the same skin 5 times because it has different stripes on it.

check the wing panels outboard of the ammo hatches you have an extra panel line in there that shouldnt be there. (innacurate drawings)
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Some Ponies
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 04:08:41 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Well the one with the all yellow tail stands out nicely. What skin is that?

Looks like it's from the 52nd FG, flying out of Italy with 15th AF.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
Some Ponies
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 04:23:43 PM »
SELECTOR said:

That's the problem with US planes.  For the older ones, they're all OD and gray with just different letters on the sides.  For the later ones, they're all siver with different letters on the sides, and perhaps a little trim in different colors here and there, maybe a nekkid woman or cartoon character.  BORING.  The Brits are about the same:  standard camo pattern on them all, just different letters and maybe a small Polish flag or something.  I much prefer late-war Germans that not only had various patterns, but also many different colors, even in the same unit.

I'm absolutely sick of Invasion Stripes and 3-letter codes in the ETO.  So to make things as interesting as possible, I looked hard for CBI and MTO planes that used different unit marking formats.  Still silver, but that goes with the territory.  The problem is, most of the planes I found had a black/yellow trim fetish.  Granted, that's a good color combo, but it gets old after a while.  OTOH, it's better than black and white stripes IMHO.

BTW, the one with the most yellow on the tail is from the MTO:  5th FS, 52nd FG.  The D is from the 2nd Air Command Group, 10th AF, CBI.

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
Some Ponies
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 04:49:34 PM »
Citabria said:
check the wing panels outboard of the ammo hatches you have an extra panel line in there that shouldnt be there. (innacurate drawings)

Actually, there was a line there on the upper surface but not on the lower surface.  There was another line along the front of the leading edge that divided them.  On the B skin, you can put that LE line there and it looks OK.  It doesn't look good on the D skin, however, because it smears too much wrapping around.  So I fudged it a bit by extending the upper line all the way around the LE and stopped it at the back edge of the LE on the lower side.

nice skins but with so many peeps working on the p51s dont submit the same skin 5 times because it has different stripes on it.

As we used to say back before this community got so wussified, "bite me".  I make skins as my hobby, putting in a couple hours here and there at truckstops all across this country, cut off from the rest of the world and whatever gets said in here while I'm gone.  I do it for my own amusement because I enjoy it.  I offer them to HTC because I like to contribute to this community.  I mean, I can't fly or post much any more, and scenarios are right out, so this is about all I've got left.  If HTC don't like 'em, or if somebody else is doing the same skin, then HTC don't have to use 'em, but that ain't stopping me from doing whatever the Hell I want with them.

The ONLY difference between 1 boring USAAF or Brit skin and another is the incidental features like stripes, unit codes, and nose art.  The basic paintjob, or lack thereof, is the same across the board for these planes.  It's even worse when everybody wants to do an ETO plane, so then even the stripes are the same, too.  Since I like to make several skins of each plane, the ONLY difference between my USAAF and Brit skins for the same plane, and between mine and everybody else's, will be these incidental features.  It's just the limitations of the subject matter.  Geez.

Offline gnubee

• Copper Member
Some Ponies
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 02:04:28 AM »
Well, "Princess" i recognise as a pacific theater Pony C... I thought the yellow 5 was also from the PTO, but I'm not sure.  In either case... they look great!

Thanks for the hard work and for sharing them!

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
Some Ponies
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 02:23:35 AM »
The D has already been done, at least one from the same squadron it seems.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=157944
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Some Ponies
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 08:04:14 AM »
I think Fester is referring to attempting some variety in the metal effects/panel shading/weathering/scratch patterns.

They are all nice, but the view from the cockpit to the wing would be exactly the same on each of them, right down to the exact same fuel spill pattern near the filler cap.

Doesn't mean the community doesn't appreciate your work.   My favorite of those is the yellow-tailed job from the 52nd FG.   That's a skin you could even ID in the game from a few hundred yards distance I think.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Some Ponies
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 08:16:30 AM »

I'm absolutely sick of Invasion Stripes and 3-letter codes in the ETO.  So to make things as interesting as possible, I looked hard for CBI and MTO planes that used different unit marking formats.  Still silver, but that goes with the territory.  The problem is, most of the planes I found had a black/yellow trim fetish.  Granted, that's a good color combo, but it gets old after a while.  OTOH, it's better than black and white stripes IMHO.

There's lots of colorful Mustangs not yet done. As Fester has said, the best ones will be included by HTC.

So, how about these?

Or these?

Or even these?

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 08:22:56 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
Some Ponies
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 12:01:18 PM »
Originally posted by SELECTOR

Yes.... they all seem to look like P-51B's.

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
Some Ponies
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 12:05:23 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
There's lots of colorful Mustangs not yet done. As Fester has said, the best ones will be included by HTC.

My regards,

Widewing

Yeah... but those all look like P-51D's.

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
Some Ponies
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 02:58:59 PM »
to clarify what i said about them looking the same is this...
i know they are all p51s but im sure they don't weather the same and have same liquid spills..
i really like the skin, but it is obvious you have used the same template including the weathering and just re-done the markings..
in my opinion that is 1 skin not 4,,,
it would be nice to only use the panels and rivits and re work each one individually..
this is not a negative post just a constuctive observation.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
yellow nosed p51d
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 03:21:21 PM »
two p51d  yellow noses have been done,i did bettylee  and posted it to ah skins site.

I havent sent it in to skuzzy  because  some one also did a yellow p51d  and submitted it  the day i was going too,i didnt see the point of two yellow nose mustangs.

i am doing a checker tail p51b but  there re over 15  p51bs in the works  with  a lot sent in so i dont know  if it will be accepeted.

i enjoy skinnning  and try to make each one different  but there are only so many things u can do
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin