Author Topic: insane fishtailing  (Read 788 times)

Offline randbo

• Zinc Member
insane fishtailing
« on: August 20, 2005, 01:40:57 AM »
ok i absolutely cannot get off the ground.
the plane fishtails like crazy
there seems to be no feedback to the a s d keys and i cannot help but overcorrect.
i have never gotten off the ground.
this is INSANE.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
insane fishtailing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 01:58:31 AM »
If you just want to get off the ground, use auto takeoff for now.  Go to the training arena and ask for someone to help you out.  There are several little tricks to make it easier.  

Usin the keyboard for rudder inputs is rough, especially for the fine control  you need on takeoff.  I would at the very least use the "combat trim" feature to help with rudder trim while you are taking off (Alt + X), and some models have the locking tail wheel.  You pull back on the stick as you start moving, and it locks the tailwheel so you dont have that bad fishtail problem.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Re: insane fishtailing
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 02:53:51 AM »
Originally posted by randbo
there seems to be no feedback to the a s d keys and i cannot help but overcorrect.
this is INSANE.

Just a few quick questions to help everyone help you:

1.  Are you using a joystick or just the keyboard/mouse?

2.  What plane in particular is fishtailing so badly/ or are all of them?

SA2's comment on auto takeoff might be the best option for the time being.  To enable it you have to bring up your clipboard ( Esc ), go to Setup, then Preferences, then Flight, and make sure auto takeoff is checked.  Then just choose which runway to take off from and sit back while the game takes off for you.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 05:25:31 AM »
i need to buy a joystick with rudder
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
insane fishtailing
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 09:59:55 AM »
Just remember: When you use Auto Takeoff, once you move the joystick a certain amount, you go back to manual control. Doesn't matter much once you're just about off the ground, though.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
insane fishtailing
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 12:25:24 AM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
 I would at the very least use the "combat trim" feature to help with rudder trim while you are taking off (Alt + X), and some models have the locking tail wheel.  You pull back on the stick as you start moving, and it locks the tailwheel so you dont have that bad fishtail problem.

SA2 did not have his early morning brew of Espresso yet, he meant combat Trim Ctrl-X   to turn it on and off, Alt-X is auto climb  :D

WAKE UP  SA2, caught ya sleeping ;)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
insane fishtailing
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 12:12:28 AM »
One trick that has helped me with manual take- offs is to slowly advance the throttle - that way you can more easily counter the effects of the torque generated by the propeller turning.

If you aren't sure exactly how much rudder use the auto take off feature again slowly advancing the throttle as you work your way down the runway and watch the rudder indicator as you accelerate.

hope this helps.

*edit*
Also if you don't already have one, I highly recomend getting a joystick with throttle and rudder control - even a cheap ( $30 or $40 USD) logitec twisty stick is better than going without imo.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 12:15:53 AM by Bad31st »

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
insane fishtailing
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 06:52:12 AM »
Originally posted by Bad31st
One trick that has helped me with manual take- offs is to slowly advance the throttle - that way you can more easily counter the effects of the torque generated by the propeller turning.

If you aren't sure exactly how much rudder use the auto take off feature again slowly advancing the throttle as you work your way down the runway and watch the rudder indicator as you accelerate.

hope this helps.

*edit*
Also if you don't already have one, I highly recomend getting a joystick with throttle and rudder control - even a cheap ( $30 or $40 USD) logitec twisty stick is better than going without imo.

If you are going to buy cheap I'd buy Saitek. Not the best maybe... butter better than Logitech. Friend of mine who's a sales rep says all of those end up going back.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 11:33:36 AM »
this is INSANE.

Problem is your tailwheel isn't locked and is able to swivel all over. Most of the planes will tend to swing one way or another as you roll out on takeoff. You can counter the swing--a bit anyway--by applying full back stick pressure until you get over about 80 mph as you roll down the runway. Pulling full back on the stick locks the tailwheel.

Give that a try if you don't want to use autotakeoff.

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
insane fishtailing
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 02:59:13 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
SA2 did not have his early morning brew of Espresso yet, he meant combat Trim Ctrl-X   to turn it on and off, Alt-X is auto climb  :D

My coffee maker is broke at work.  Ugh!

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
insane fishtailing
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 03:46:12 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser

Technically, he's right you know. We don't have autopilot per se, but auto trim. So Alt-X is a combat trim setting. :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
insane fishtailing
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 08:04:31 PM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
Technically, he's right you know. We don't have autopilot per se, but auto trim. So Alt-X is a combat trim setting. :D

The game maker calls them auto-pilots so in my book we have auto-pilots.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
insane fishtailing
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 08:29:47 PM »
Originally posted by OOZ662

ok OOZ662, when you are on the runway next time before taking off or throttling up, just for a giggle & auger. tap your stick to undo auto-takeoff  then hit the Alt-X command ( for auto climb ) and watch yourself  gain alt :D

let me know how it turned out
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
insane fishtailing
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 01:02:14 PM »
Originally posted by fuze
The game maker calls them auto-pilots so in my book we have auto-pilots.

Actually, it was HT that I saw talking to a newb about how we don't have autopilot, but an autotrim that uses the trim tabs IIRC.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
insane fishtailing
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 09:25:39 AM »
I've had good results tapping the brakes to keep on line.
I'm going to invest in a set of pedals.
It's much like taxiing a taildragger in real life I think.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder