Author Topic: P47d Work In Progress (metal)  (Read 344 times)

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
P47d Work In Progress (metal)
« on: August 28, 2005, 07:08:28 PM »
its really hare to get the balence for metal skins..every thing works against you..

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: P47d Work In Progress (metal)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 07:30:46 PM »
Originally posted by SELECTOR
it's really hard to get the balance for metal skins..everything works against you..

I agree, but you have done a very nice job with it.

I'm experimenting with changing the texture of various panels. Sheet metal has a grain structure and each panel will reflect light a little different from adjacent panels due to the grain direction never being the same.

But, I've got to tell you, it's a bear to get it right and I won't send in my skin till I figure out how to do it consistantly.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
P47d Work In Progress (metal)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 03:26:45 AM »
One thing that might not be directly on topic but still.

What I found extreamly hard is when you have mix of metal and color. Its a pain to get the material.txt file right so that the metal is reflective enough and the color isnt too reflective.

Next thing that is hard is to get the planelines right. If you have dark enough planelines for metal (on bare metal you do see em quite well) they are way way to visible on the color surface.

What I did was that I created a double set of planelines and rivets. One set above the color layer and one below it. I could have just created one set for colored areas and one for metal areas but since each plane is differently colored I opted for just duplicate layers.

Tex