Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina  (Read 2461 times)

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2005, 08:25:40 PM »
Try this one guys.

http://webcams.neworleans.com/

Every site Ive found is either down or really slow. I think im not the only one looking.

The NOLA one still works for me.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 08:29:48 PM by BlueJ1 »
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline BlckMgk

• Nickel Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2005, 08:36:40 PM »
Originally posted by FalconSix
The last category five hurricane that made landfall was in 1969. I'm quite sure that recorded history spans the history of the United States, so "only three category five hurricanes have made landfall in US history" would be correct. Would it not?

Sorry falcon "the last cat 5" was not in 1969, but in 1992 with Andrew.

-B

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2005, 08:43:29 PM »
What a terrible storm.  I vividly remember Hurricane Isabele hitting here in 2003, and it was a Cat 1!  I am praying Hurricane Katrina turns south!!  

Regards,

Malta

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2005, 10:18:23 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
No.  We weren't always recording the weather data.  Nor did we have satelites to track hurricanes.

There were 3 cat 5 hurricanes that hit land SINCE WE STARTED RECORDING DATA.

That says nothing about the ones that hit before.

Knock it off already.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2005, 10:20:57 PM »
Originally posted by Goth
We have been preparing for this under what we called Hurricane Pam exercise. The slosh models linked here illustrate what will happen to storm surge hitting New Orleans from a Cat 3 storm.

slosh model

When I left work about an hour ago there were 30,000 people using the Superdome as a shelter. It is estimated that once the water enters the bowl of New Orleans, it will be a long time to get it out due to pumping stations being down.

Estimates are for the eye to hit N.O. at 0700 tomorrow morning with sustained winds of at least 134mph.

This storm is not following the same path as Pam, but the surge was higher than the estimated Pam surge.

Oh...here are some cams of N.O....WARNING, I blocked cookies...

New Orleans Cams

Here are cams of the traffic in Baton Rouge.

Baton Rouge Evac Cams

As a former squaddie in NAZGUL Goth, I pray for you and yours.   I pray God shows some mercy, and the majority have already grabbed all they can and got the f**k out of dodge.

Karaya

PS - my brother.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2005, 10:33:58 PM »
Was just looking at pictures of people lined up to get into the Superdome.  I hate to see this.  As vicious a place as NO can be, its got a beauty all its own.  It will be a long time recovering from this one.  

Caught this in a discussion of Katrina compared to the other Cat 5 hurricanes that have hit.  

Its central pressure — a measure of a storm’s intensity — fell to 906 millibars, making Katrina the second strongest storm on record after the Labor Day hurricane of 1935 that hit the Florida Keys. That storm recorded a minimum central pressure of 892 millibars on landfall.

“If it stayed at this intensity, it would be one of the two or three strongest to ever hit this country,” Rappaport, of the hurricane center, told CNN.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2005, 10:52:08 PM »
If there is anyone seeking shelter my home is open!!!!

PM me.

Mac

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2005, 11:02:01 PM »
Leslie head towards Oklahoma...NW from you.  I'll take you and Family in pets and all.

Just leave now!!!

Mac

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2005, 11:06:28 PM »
You know what's really pissing me off?

The Weather Channel's hurricane expert Dr.Wise.

He acts concerned,but it seems like he is enjoying talking about what potential destruction Katrina may cause.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2005, 11:10:06 PM »
Originally posted by Sox62
You know what's really pissing me off?

The Weather Channel's hurricane expert Dr.Wise.

He acts concerned,but it seems like he is enjoying talking about what potential destruction Katrina may cause.

When it comes down to events like this, they go for ratings.   To me, they are worse than pondscum.  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Goth

• Nickel Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2005, 11:27:51 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
As a former squaddie in NAZGUL Goth, I pray for you and yours.   I pray God shows some mercy, and the majority have already grabbed all they can and got the f**k out of dodge.

Karaya

PS - my brother.

Hey bro...thanks...this gonna be a big nasty.

You know, I sit at work and watch this...sit at home and watch this and think (or hope) it's not as bad as they're painting it. Been working in this business for 8 years now, and maybe I have grown callous to it and that certainly lends a hand to my understanding of the average citizen when they hear "evacuate".

All that aside, I don't EVER throw out personal info over the internet, but for anybody that needs help in Louisiana after this storm, I work here...

email or call rweiser and I will see what I can do for you.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 11:22:53 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2005, 11:32:06 PM »
Those who are watching the cams, Grab the live video on the paradecam, The winds are really starting to pick up. I am thinking video will be down soon, power should be gone in a few hours.

We are already getting lots of wind and rain where I am. I am far enough away not to have much to worry about. Forcasting only 50-75mph winds here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 11:37:22 PM by kevykev56 »
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2005, 11:48:06 PM »
Originally posted by kevykev56
Those who are watching the cams, Grab the live video on the paradecam, The winds are really starting to pick up. I am thinking video will be down soon, power should be gone in a few hours.

We are already getting lots of wind and rain where I am. I am far enough away not to have much to worry about. Forcasting only 50-75mph winds here.

I cannot sit and watch a live webcam, I feel it as being a vulture.   I'm not singling you out Kev, by any stretch of the means.  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2005, 12:12:25 AM »
I sure dont feel like a vulture, I can just look out the window and see this storm. I can safely say that I am somewhat relieved that it is hitting N.O. Tho I sure do not wish this on anyone.

From the day that Katrina hit the Gulf she was projected to turn towards my house. For two days the projected path was a line over my house on the map.

Its tough to watch but still very interesting and when you have evacuated and are wondering what is going on at home. To be able to see it can be a relief not just a bad thing. Wish I had a cam setup on my PC when i evacuated last year.

When Ivan hit last year I evacuated to T.N. I was calling my home every 10 minutes just to hear the answering machine pick up. When the phone just rang and rang after about 20 minutes following landfall I knew we were in trouble. All power was lost to my house because of a fallen tree in my front yard. It took a week before power came back, we went home after power came up but still had 2 freezers full of rotten stentch that had to be cleared. Only lost food and a few shingles and a tree, we were very lucky.

This storm scared everyone on the gulf, with waters this warm you knew it was gona be bad for someone. There are alot of eyes watching this storm and to be able to see it Isnt vulching, its more like sympathetic curosity.

More Prayers from here are going out to those effected, and will be throughout the night and tomorrow.

Sorry Karaya for the long post just wanted to explain.
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2005, 12:49:09 AM »
There is a bit of morbid curiosity with events like this. The news people, especially the Hurricane experts must feel very important, and being human, this is their big day. They are excited, and its probably why they use older experts because the young ones would be way to giddy to be on tv.

We all watch. Its a sad thing.  But like Homer Simpson said..."Its funny...because its not happening to me." Its by all means not funny...but you get my meaning. In todays world, you are either the victim, or the spectator.

All the people and animals are in my prayers.

~AoM~