Author Topic: Wish: Please change fuel loading scheme  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Wish: Please change fuel loading scheme
« on: August 30, 2005, 06:34:49 AM »
Another wish, Santy HT...

Please change the fuel loading scheme, so people cannot load something like 50% tanks + DTs. Please change it so, that the fuel MUST be loaded in sequence:

25%  ->  50%  ->  75%  ->  100%  ->  100%+DTs

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 07:25:38 AM »
I can't STAND the messages like 'no ord is avail' etc... the pop up box is a royal pain in the tail-feathers.

How about shading off articles in the hanger that are not available?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Re: Wish: Please change fuel loading scheme
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 01:31:03 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Another wish, Santy HT...

Please change the fuel loading scheme, so people cannot load something like 50% tanks + DTs. Please change it so, that the fuel MUST be loaded in sequence:

Why? What possible sense does this make?

The reason people load 50%+Tanks is that they do not want to fight with a full load of fuel. I often load just this setup if I am flying to a fight 1 sector away in a Ki-84. I only use about 30% of the tanks then drop them because I like the way the Ki-84 handles with 50% or < of fuel.  It's all about arriving at the fight at your proper combat weight. There is no way to dump internal tanks to reduce weight. Therefore the only way to do this is to set internal to your preferred combat weight and take tanks.

Unless you flying half way across ther map why would you take 100%+tanks.

It's done this way in RL, why should AH be different.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Wish: Please change fuel loading scheme
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 02:05:17 PM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones

It's done this way in RL, why should AH be different.

Really? Did WWII pilots take off with 50% internal and a drop?
sand

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 04:22:40 PM »
This isn't real life, and it's not WW2 either. I fly with 100% almost all the time, and I cannot tell if the guy I'm fighting against has no fuel or full tanks.

On a related note, I also hate the popups in the loadout screen. I like the idea of either grayed out or invisible options when they're not available at a given field.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 02:31:01 AM »
I have not seen evidence to say that it wasnt possible to load up Full DTs and not all ur plane tanks

I like the way it is...

Prove that you could not physically do it..mayeb we say yes

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 02:47:49 AM »
Don't supress this option
Give it a price instead like :

75% fuel : free
50%+DT : 1 perk point

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 02:57:56 AM »
I like the way it is...

The reason you like it, is exactly the reason why we should prohibit it. DTs are for extending range, not a dumpweight.

The process of climbing and flying enroute to the combat zone requires fuel, and every pilot should be forced to carefully judge on the amount of fuel he needs according to the type of flying he will be doing.

Loading smaller amounts of fuel provides natural advantages of lighter weight, but also provides the dangers of short flying time and early retreat. Every plane is faced with a choice between the risks and rewards, and it is up to the pilot to cope with the situation as it is.

Except, planes that use DTs are granted a waiver from this choice, as much of their flying in non-combat situation is solely dependant on DTs, which can be instantly dumped away when a combat situation arises. Planes that use half-empty internal tanks with DTs are in an unnatural/ahistoric advantage as compared to planes which cannot use DTs at all.

It shouldn't be like that.

For example, a Yak-9U has a relatively short range in combat. So in most cases, these planes are forced to take off with 100% fuel.

In a sense, that, is a price the Yak must pay - since the plane is light, it carries less fuel than others, so it must take off with 100%.

So if the Yak meets an enemy plane immediately after take off, then he fights with heavy internal fuel load. If the Yak does not meet an enemy plane for too long, then he wasted a lot of fuel and must turn back prematurely.

However, the planes with longer range, by using half-empty internals with DTs, are granted a waiver from such problems. Planes with longer range already have an advantage, which follows their disadvantages of heavy weight. They are given a choice of different ranges of internal fuel loads to fly with. If they don't need 100%, they can fly on 50%. But then, they are given another advantage, in that even when they are flying at 50%, they need not worry about shorter range, since they can always strap on DTs which can be dumped at will.

Being able to carry DTs should provide an advantage in extending the overall flight time that surpasses the internal fuel load, not as a makeshift, temporary fuel tank solely used for non-combat purposes so the plane can enitrely rely on 50% internal fuel load when in combat.

If you want to fly five, six sectors and back, then that's where the DTs should be used. Not for flying one sector with 50% internal and then dumping it away.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 03:30:05 AM by Kweassa »

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 01:14:37 PM »
again..PROVE THI SWAS NOT DONE..

You cant understand Mustangs Grabbing out of france with Drop tanks..then releasing the tanks once they hi alt to do a quicjk run thru germany?..They defntly did not need alot of gas once they were on the continent

if you can prove they could not do this..then i would agree

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 06:38:58 PM »
again..PROVE THIS WAS NOT DONE..

I don't have to prove diddly-squat to you.  

It's a gameplay issue. Sequential fuel loading corrects an unfair disadvantage which shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Besides,

You can't understand Mustangs Grabbing out of france with Drop tanks..then releasing the tanks once they hi alt to do a quick run thru germany?..They defntly did not need alot of gas once they were on the continent

If they didn't need the DTs, they didn't use them. They just took the internal fuel load, or filled as much fuel in the tanks as required.

DTs and fuel don't come scot-free of charge in real life.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 06:41:23 PM by Kweassa »

Offline Jnuk

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 10:35:41 AM »
...fuel don't come scot-free of charge in real life.

lol tell me about it.

back on topic..  I dont really like this idea.  I'll admit, I do it all the time, so I'm really not going to have a very objective view of it, but I don't like it.  
Seems to me to be trying to level the field too much.  Every plane has it's strenghts and weaknesses, I view being able to take light fuel and droptanks as a strength.  If we really wanted a truly level playing field we'd all just fly the same plane all the time.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 01:05:44 PM »
The reason you like it, is exactly the reason why we should prohibit it. DTs are for extending range, not a dumpweight.

Plane and simple KW I call it BS. This is just a whine because YOU don't like it.

Yes it was done in RL, was done when I was in the USN (CV67, USS JFK) in the late 70's and is still done today.

It is a game play issue, I chose to load up 50% fuel and DT's so that I can arrive at the fight at my proper combat weight. If my plane allows me to do that and the one you chose does not then that's your choice. It's that way because the plane designer designed it that way. All plane have some advantages and disadvantages. I can't chase down your LA7 in my Ki-84 because if I get over 400 my plane will fall appart. Is that an unfair advantage for the LA7? NO! You don't see me posting a suggestion to fix that do you?

For someone who seems to have decent knowledge of this subject I am quite surprised you would suggest this. You should also know that ALL PLANES DO NOT WEIGH THE SAME! Some are considerably heavier regardless of fuel. So you want to punish those who CHOSE to fly P47's for one example.

Also, as I stated, In RL you could dump internal fuel in a lot of planes, WE CANNOT.

Your entire post illustrates the reason why DT were created. It's not just for long range it's also so you can arrive at the fight with the proper flight weight and CG. Something the Japanese did in the zero quit often. Take a Zero up with 100% fuel and see how bad it is. Fly it with 50% or less and you can dance around the sky.

IT IS NOT AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE, IT IS JUST THE WAY IT IS. DEAL WITH IT!

What's next, make all guns the same? Because all planes that carry Hispanos have an advantage over those that don't. Better yet, let's just make all the planes the same so that KW doesn't feel disadvantaged.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 02:08:02 PM »
you dont have to prove "diddly squat"..lol nice term..

No..you have to prove the idea to HTC..and your not

it was done...can be done..and we are doing it...

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005, 02:53:30 PM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
Plane and simple KW I call it BS. This is just a whine because YOU don't like it.

It's just exploitation of a weakness in the game.

Yes it was done in RL, was done when I was in the USN (CV67, USS JFK) in the late 70's and is still done today. [/B]

I didn't know WWII ended in Europe in the 70's nor that the Navy was flying over Berlin.

It is a game play issue, I chose to load up 50% fuel and DT's so that I can arrive at the fight at my proper combat weight. If my plane allows me to do that and the one you chose does not then that's your choice.  [/B]

You already have the fuel stupid multiplier to give you an unfair advantage that's one more.

It's that way because the plane designer designed it that way. [/B]

Nope the planes were designed this way because it corresponded to the tactical doctrine.

I propose to put the long range plane 3 field away from the closest frontline.
And you will have to use your DT  not to make an exploit but to go to the fight.

All plane have some advantages and disadvantages. I can't chase down your LA7 in my Ki-84 because if I get over 400 my plane will fall appart. Is that an unfair advantage for the LA7? NO! You don't see me posting a suggestion to fix that do you? [/B]

completly unrelated
wtf do you speak of speed when we are discussing of range ?

For someone who seems to have decent knowledge of this subject I am quite surprised you would suggest this. You should also know that ALL PLANES DO NOT WEIGH THE SAME! Some are considerably heavier regardless of fuel. So you want to punish those who CHOSE to fly P47's for one example. [/B]

Why ?
It's a flying fuel tank it's intrinsinc for the 47.
Why you want to change he intrinsinc nature of the 47 by artificial mean ?

Also, as I stated, In RL you could dump internal fuel in a lot of planes, WE CANNOT.[/B]

Name the planes availlable in AH that can do this ?

Your entire post illustrates the reason why DT were created. It's not just for long range it's also so you can arrive at the fight with the proper flight weight and CG. [/B]

et la marmotte elle plie le papier alu ?

Something the Japanese did in the zero quit often. Take a Zero up with 100% fuel and see how bad it is. Fly it with 50% or less and you can dance around the sky.[/B]

Source ?

IT IS NOT AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE, IT IS JUST THE WAY IT IS. DEAL WITH IT![/B]

It is unfair.
Set the fuel multiplier at 1.

What's next, make all guns the same? Because all planes that carry Hispanos have an advantage over those that don't. Better yet, let's just make all the planes the same so that KW doesn't feel disadvantaged. [/B]

Smoke screen again ?

Offline Jnuk

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 03:18:17 PM »
what does fuel multiplier have to do with it?
if fuel multiplier was off i'd just take 25% and drop tanks