Author Topic: Carpet bombing  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Carpet bombing
« on: August 30, 2005, 07:51:41 AM »
When dropping bombs manually I can pick off hangers with three neatly positioned hits representing my bomber and my two drones.

The crators always form this nice triangle representing my formation at the point of release.

I would wish for a bit more "wobble" re accuracy as altitude increases.

I would wish for a reaction delay for drone bomb release....This would be a random delay between  "x" and "y" seconds and would be diferent for each drone............. further the range of potential delay error would be (for some reason) longer as the formation flew below approx z ft of altitude.......
Ludere Vincere

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Carpet bombing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 11:30:16 AM »
Did WW2 internal bomb racks have ability to toggle single drops?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Carpet bombing
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 11:50:38 AM »
Tilt you must be flying a lot lower then I do or you must be the best bomb aimer in the game. :p  I consider myself pretty good but I'd never salvo 1 to take out a hanger from the altitudes I fly.

If the drones delayed a bit after the lead dropped, the triangle pattern should be inverted from what we see. IIRC, htc said they programed in the "wobble", but it applies to the pattern as a whole I think.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Carpet bombing
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 11:59:30 AM »
Easy

At 20k I expect to take out 4 hangers in 2 passes with a B24 formation with 4 x 2000Lbs loadouts.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Carpet bombing
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 12:47:04 PM »
ROFL, all you have to do is match your exact e6b speed readout to what your calibration speed is just after calibrating the site, and you have instant lazer guided bombs.  No way you can miss, even from high altitude.  Bombing is by far the easiest thing to do in the game, way easier than actually shooting another plane down.

Offline sqwigly

• Zinc Member
Carpet bombing
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 01:09:48 PM »
with ya on that tilt,i miss the old days when you werent shure till they hit.
i still wish for a nuke.4000 perks.3 square grid yield.destroys all structures and wounds all pilots in area.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Carpet bombing
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 01:19:33 PM »
Originally posted by Tilt
Easy

At 20k I expect to take out 4 hangers in 2 passes with a B24 formation with 4 x 2000Lbs loadouts.
I'll have to take a look at that 24. :)
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Carpet bombing
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 06:14:23 AM »
Originally posted by Stang
ROFL, all you have to do is match your exact e6b speed readout to what your calibration speed is just after calibrating the site, and you have instant lazer guided bombs.  No way you can miss, even from high altitude.  Bombing is by far the easiest thing to do in the game, way easier than actually shooting another plane down.

Did you guys really read this? He's absolutely, 100% right. E6B is the key to bombing now -- and it does give you laser guided accuracy
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline jpeg

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.steveo.us
Carpet bombing
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 04:37:05 PM »
At higher than 15k the pattern from 1k bombs is very much triangular and only the lead bombers bombs usually make it on target, the bombs dropped from the drones drop too far away to make it on target.

Originally posted by Simaril
Did you guys really read this? He's absolutely, 100% right. E6B is the key to bombing now -- and it does give you laser guided accuracy

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Carpet bombing
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 06:00:52 AM »
I had not used e6b when setting the BS previously........... I had always just ensured my route was correct and kept callibrating  (usually holding for about 6 secs) right up to the point of drop.

I did a run last night using e6b to check my calibration........... it was very interesting..............agai n two passes 4 hangers removed...........A33 if I remember correctly.  

It was the only rear enemy field within a sector of two bases we had under attack(28 and 32 specifically to clear any airborne defence of 28). My B24 had simply switched off any new enemy air activity in that area.

It was made easier because 33's radar was down.....easier still because the clipboard tells me its down.

The ingress was at 20K (above cloud) level.

Being able to go "external" and fly using rudder from a gunner position....... I choose the nose gunner. As I get to within extreme visual range I zoom in over the nose of the ac from the external view front gunner and get a perfect line on the target.

There is no disadvantage to speed........infact at max speed it stablises better.

Moving to F6 with e6b open on the clipboard I start to calibrate.

It stablises at 288 and my line needs hardly any adjust ment.

Salvo 1 and I release just as the sight leaves the target.

My angle takes me takes me across the two central FH's at an angle (not a perfect alignement) and then on thru one of the southern FH's.

All three are destroyed.

I then return to the external front gunner position in auto level extend and then rudder a long sweeping turn to line up on the last FH..........repeat the above and kill it.

Its clinical.........and very unrealistic......... not to say wielding way too much MA gameplay misbalance IMO. I had no perks at risk yet I could switch of an enemy airfield.

If there was a random error on the drone drop times then my fast but stable speed would have been desasterous. As it was I still got a perfect triangle of impact crators.

If there had been more wobble with altitude then my accuracy would take a hit........... it does not.

When accuracy or concentration of bombs from formations was important then formations slowed and they descended or they stayed higher, faster, safer and missed more. (not so in the MA)

The only gameplay function I would add is that the random error tolerance be increased when formations get very low.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 06:04:07 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Carpet bombing
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 11:16:02 AM »
It sounds like you are asking for ramdom misses all the time.  I think this would frustrate players more then the old Manual calibration.

However, I do agree with you IF you base the chance of a miss on the speed.

Current accuracy at Crusing speed
Better accuracy if slower but stable (200mph as opposed to 235)
Complete miss at full speed. (289mph as opposed to 235 for example)
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Carpet bombing
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 12:36:16 PM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
It sounds like you are asking for ramdom misses all the time.

Not so much random misses but certainly a randomness re accuracy of drones.......and additional wobble on the bomb fall.

Creating a delay on the drone drop spreads the drop further when the airspeed is faster............you plonk a bit of a zone about this delay and randomly select a value within it to stop folk from gaming the delay.

It reproduces the slight delay of a secondary bombadier triggering after seeing his lead bomber drop............these delays would vary slightly and the effect would be subject to the influence of ground speed. (It could even cause stuff to drop in a perfect line).

Wobble would actually be seen as drift............AH bombs seem to ignore windage but some small angle of drift measured in parts of a degree direction of drift randomly selected  thru 8 points of the compass. This would reduce accuracy with altitude.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Carpet bombing
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 06:33:37 PM »
I don't know Tilt.  It depends on your definitions for randomness, accuracy and altitude.

If you like seeing heavies below 10k then this would probably be the way to go, but I don't like seeing heavies below 15k, and it took dumbing down the bomb sight to get people back in them.  I think you're fighting the current on this one.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001