Author Topic: Question about fleet flaks  (Read 1758 times)

TheWobble

Question about fleet flaks
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2001, 06:11:00 PM »

Theres nothing wrong with them that i can see

You dont see anything wrong with a cv's flak shooting down a p-51 that is traveling at over 300 mph diving turning and doing evasive manuevers from 13 miles away..

ooooooookkkkkkkkk......look smart guy at 10k the cv's flak shells have a shell travel time, i dunno how long but at 10 miles its probably over 6 seconds.  now the flak in AH can track a diving manuevering fighter from over 12 miles away and shoot it down, THAT IS PHYSICALLY IMPOSSABLE.

THATS THE PROBLEM.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2001, 07:30:00 PM »
I believe in say that 6 secs shell flight time (example only) at 300 mph you will cover 0.5 of a mile. Now if your flying straight and level ie buffs then hell yea i would expect it to have a high probability of getting a hit. But fighters manouvering ?
Wardog you are not the first person to say you can see no problem, maybe there are some connection issues here affecting people in different ways but personally i now stay well away from enemy CV's.
I have tried all possible moves in fighters, straight and level, gentle scissors in horizontal and vertical, even violent moves etc, nothing keeps me alive in a fighter near an enemy CV.
What bugs me even more as i fly well around the CV's AA coverage with no intention of attacking it the damn thing tracks and fires at me even when there are others closer to the CV and trying to attack !
Talk about making me feel persecuted  
Hmm just had a thought, I wonder does it interpret your score for buff or Jabo to assess you as a threat ?
Naaa guess not thats just my persecution complex showing.

[This message has been edited by 214thCavalier (edited 02-26-2001).]

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2001, 07:55:00 PM »

Originally posted by Wardog:
Not sure what the whine is really about. Ive spent the week watching as much Pacific Theater footage as i could get my hands on. Guess what????? Fleet ack is not tough enough.

WD, I dont think you are going to get anyone to disagree with you here.  Most will agree that its not lethal enough to slow moving buffs.  At least I wont disagree with you.  As far as fiters go, I would say its not lethal enough either yet too lethal....

Lemme explain.  The ack hardly ever hits you.  Sure there are lots of ack puffs but I get hit maybe once every 4-5 minutes of being shot at.  Now, when I do get hit, its usually a one pinger...BLAM and Im back in the tower.  And it doesnt matter if you are maneuvering lots or little, or are travelling fast or slow.  The hit is a purely random occurence based solely on whether you are in range or not.

-Ding

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »

Originally posted by TheWobble:
how much ww2 footage ya see of a CV flak knocking down a jinking diving fighter from 12 miles away within 10 seconds of firing at it..hmmmm?

OK read previous post.  I dont think the chance of getting hit by ack is dependent on range, speed or evasives....

If you are in range and are targeted and get hit, you die.

That 12 mile range IS a bit long, but who knows...can you see a P51 from 12 miles away?  If so then I dont have a problem with the range. Personally, Ive never been shot at from 12 miles away unless I pass close to the fleet first.  

-Ding

[This message has been edited by Dingy (edited 02-26-2001).]

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2001, 08:32:00 PM »
Since they released the fix I haven't had a problem with the fleet 5" guns while in a fighter. I've been pinged a few times and lost a rudder once but other than that I've been fine.

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2001, 01:36:00 PM »
I gunned a buff that overflew an enemy fleet on 2/25 and heard far more "pings" from ack than the pilot did.  After nearly a dozen "hits" from my perspective, the pilot reported a single ping that killed our airplane.   I could be possible that the aircraft is sustaining damage from the flak burst even though the pilot cannot hear it.  This doesn't explain why maneuvering fighters are so vulnerable but it may explain why bombers appear to be nearly invulnerable.

MiG

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
I have noticed that fleet ack is more accurate the farther away you go.

Many times I don't even see the fleet but it's ack is hitting me.

The really strange thing is that if I'm in a buff the ack doesn't bother me much but if I'm in a fighter (p51 is the worst) the ack almost always hits me within a few shots.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

vfGHOSTY

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2001, 02:27:00 PM »
BTW any one heard about 4 Russian jet fighters manage to sneak up on a US CV when it was headed for training without being noticed?   and we are talking about modern warfare technology that are way far superior to WW II