Author Topic: Japanese Carriers and Paddles  (Read 872 times)

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Japanese Carriers and Paddles
« on: September 02, 2005, 01:58:45 PM »
Submitting a couple of requests for the wish list:

This may be a long shot, due to developlment time, can a Japanese Carrier to be implemented to compliment the Essex class now in the game?

Also, would it be possible to implement a Landing Signal Officer (LSO aka "Paddles") to increase the realism when trapping aboard a carrier?  I am thinking it could be something as simple as modeling a figure with arms stretched straight out during most operations and a figure waving paddles over his head (wave off) when deck is fouled or the carrier is turning.  Why mention the deck fouling?  When friendly collisions are on, it would be helpfull to know if I'm risking death by landing on top of another aircraft.  This may become important if CV ops are included in TOD.

MiG

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 02:44:48 PM »
Friendly collisions would never be turned on.

But I think it could easily be done as client side stuff.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 03:20:12 PM »
ils apraoch or whatever the proper term is ..would be sweet

Glide path is set..if ur lo or high...the littel sheep would wave paddles accordingly

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 05:38:17 PM »
Originally posted by GreenCloud
ils apraoch or whatever the proper term is ..would be sweet

Glide path is set..if ur lo or high...the littel sheep would wave paddles accordingly

ILS is a totally different animal than an LSO-directed approach. I know this, because I fix ILS's at work.
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 11:34:15 PM »
How about a choice from several different task forces?  You could pick Japanese, British, or US (like choosing a plane type).

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 11:30:33 AM »
I would like to see our essex class carrier re-modeled. Right now when you skin it, half of the flight deck mirrors. So you cannot put the # or Japanese meatball on it. Then I would love for a Japanese carrier to be added.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 01:21:53 PM »
I'd guess we will have to wait for a Pacific theatre version of Tour of Duty before we get IJN carriers. Possibly there might be resources issues having lots of different ships in the MA though.

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 06:26:13 PM »
Actually the British/US/Jap choice might be cool. The Brit carriers were smaller (I think) but had armoured decks whereas the US carriers weren't built the same way. I don't know much about the Jap carriers. It'd be kinda cool to have a Midway game - mainly task forces (but no Brit carriers of course!).
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Fry

• Zinc Member
Re: Japanese Carriers and Paddles
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 07:56:58 PM »
Originally posted by CMC Airboss
Submitting a couple of requests for the wish list:

This may be a long shot, due to developlment time, can a Japanese Carrier to be implemented to compliment the Essex class now in the game?

Also, would it be possible to implement a Landing Signal Officer (LSO aka "Paddles") to increase the realism when trapping aboard a carrier?  I am thinking it could be something as simple as modeling a figure with arms stretched straight out during most operations and a figure waving paddles over his head (wave off) when deck is fouled or the carrier is turning.  Why mention the deck fouling?  When friendly collisions are on, it would be helpfull to know if I'm risking death by landing on top of another aircraft.  This may become important if CV ops are included in TOD.

MiG

Hiya MiG!!

How've you been?  I've been fine and finally going to be flying some in AH.  Saw this post and the first think that went through my mind was carrier and paddles? Isn't an engine enough?  Did Japanese carriers have paddles?  What in the world could this post be about?

Boy, am I glad I was mistaken....there's no way MiG could be thinking about something as insane as that;)

I'm flying as a Rook for now...see you up!

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 09:06:04 PM »
You could also model the different eras of of the sea war for scenarios. There was quite a difference between attacking a 1944-45 US carrier battle group and attacking the lighter much less heavily defended forces of 1942. (For that matter, we would have to significantly enhance the existing fleet with a picket line and a few more carriers and some battleship and about 100 percent more AAA and improved controllers to mimic 1944-45)

Charon