Author Topic: Vision requirements for USN?  (Read 3230 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Vision requirements for USN?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2000, 08:55:00 AM »
Anapolis is the U.S. Naval academy.  Its sole purpose is to groom officers.

If you just get a degree at any college then get a commision... you must go through "Officer Candidate School" (OCS).  At least.. that's how it works in the Air Force.. I imagine the Navy is very similar.  That is where you get the military structure/leadership training.

There is also something called Reserve Officer Traning [Corps?] or "ROTC".  It enables college students to get officer training while attending college.

...and... I wasn't trying to be snide.  It was a serious answer.  I just didn't quite get all of what you were asking I guess.

AKDejaVu

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2000, 09:26:00 AM »
My roommate from the navy times just went into a rag squadron for hornets. AZ2 is now LTJG   Dweeb...

if any of you were at the AH Con - he was the guy there with me.

You don't need to have Annapoilis graduation under the belt to fly. If you want to be an admiral one day - you prabably better come from USNA...

As for pilots - shortages in USAAF and USN are rather horrible.
Get a degree in basket weaving under water and chances are you qualify ( if you have eyes )

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2000, 10:38:00 AM »
I see. But why have separate institutions for training officers? Why not treat graduates and non-college educated cadets alike?

Reason I ask is that I applied to be an RAF officer recently, and IOT (Initial Officer Training - based at RAF Cranwell) trains graduates and non-graduates alike. The only distinction is pay and promotion - the graduate starts at a higher rank, and is guaranteed to make Flight Lieutenant after 2-1/2 years.

Unfortnuately, I had some kind of (stress related) epileptic-type fit while studying for my finals in May. After loads of tests which showed nothing was wrong, I applied and got an offer to go to OASC (Officer/Aircrew Selection Centre). But I've just been told that they won't accept me until I've gone 5 years without another fit.   That means I can't apply until I'm 27 years old. Double  .

Aaah well, just have to continue my 'normal' job.  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2000, 10:45:00 AM »
just keep in mind if you go navy or any military position you are an officer 100% of the time taking care of all sorts of unenviable tasks and only 25% of the time you are a pilot. for most its worth the price.
you wont get much flying compared to your civilian commercial aviation counterparts over the next ten years you are committed to serve and pay is not so great.

you need 20/20 vision or a waiver for corrected vision. if you can get it a waiver for it then its not an issue. but you will need a waiver for it if you dont have 20/20 and they are hard to get.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Nath-BDP

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2000, 11:36:00 AM »
thanks for the info.

Where there's is a will there's a way...

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2000, 12:16:00 PM »
Its also a distinct reality that a technical degree in college will increase your chances as well, preferably an engineering degree.

My father use to do the candidate testing for the US Air Force Academy for my state (he spend 27 years in, a good portion of it as a navigator).

I was offered a chance to get into the Academy and passed it up. Stupidest thing I ever did.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

-towd_

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2000, 10:25:00 AM »
small p.s. you cant be even a little color blind

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2000, 10:28:00 AM »
Not sure about USN vision requirements but I heard if your parents were married they won't let ya in.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!