Author Topic: Lord, save me from religious people.  (Read 1953 times)

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Lord, save me from religious people.
« on: December 14, 2000, 10:00:00 AM »
Okay now that Dad's supreme court connections came through for him and those glorified ambulance chasers gave junior the election. What can we expect from this half-wit?  

Increase in federal executions?
Another military build-up with an increase in world tension?
More religious right influence on government?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Gore supporter. I think Gore is a sneaky two-faced lying snake. I think Bush would be one too if he wasn't retarded.  

For God's sake I'm scared, someone give me a hug!  

treadhead1

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2000, 10:13:00 AM »
Well, blur, sounds like you have a big problem living in this horrible place! I hear there are some great countries to live in! Iraq, Iran, China, ect. I hear the governments in those places really take care of their citizens. And they dont have any of this piddley election stuff for you to worry about either! I think you would be much more comfortable. :P Hell, I'll come help ya pack!

Ahhh yes, and about those "glorified ambulance chasers". What the hell does that mean? I guess Gore had "real" attorneys? What a ridiculous thing to say.  I'll not only help you pack, I'll buy your plane ticket.

-----------------

Tread
The Screamin Meanies

[This message has been edited by treadhead1 (edited 12-14-2000).]

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2000, 10:16:00 AM »
I heard something about the Christian right wing part of the Republican party. How much influence do they have?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2000, 10:32:00 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Gore supporter. I think Gore is a sneaky two-faced lying snake. I think Bush would be one too if he wasn't retarded.

Heh!

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2000, 10:35:00 AM »
imho it depends on how right-wing you are talking.  Extreme right and even extreme left wings have little real influence imho.

Pop Quiz time:  Which Presidential canditate said the following sentences last night?:

"....and may God bless his stewardship of this country."

""Not under man but under God and law.""

"...in one of God's unforeseen paths"

"... with faith in God..."

"God bless America"...

"I ask for you to pray for this great nation. I ask for your prayers for leaders from both parties. I thank you for your prayers for me and my family, and I ask you to pray for Vice President Gore and his family."

"I have faith that with God's help..."

"...God bless America."

Answer: first 5, Mr. Gore.  Last 3, Mr. Bush.  Both men appear to have a deep personal relationship with God.

Fury

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2000, 10:50:00 AM »
I guess world has already seen what happens if you mix religion and politic. Better keep those two separated....

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2000, 10:51:00 AM »
Blur,

Here is a virtual knuckle rap across
your virtual skull:

thump thump thump thump.....

Feel better?

Yeager  
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline SageFIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2000, 11:16:00 AM »
As our discussion seemingly touches on religion, I thought that perhaps those of you who are not so serious about it might want to take a look at the following site:  http://www.hedning.no/hedning/arkiv/cookies/ .

The text is very long and you might want to press your browser's stop button and read just a part of it. IMO the content is worth the wait though  .

------------------
---
SageFIN

"I think I´ll believe in Gosh instead of God.  If you don´t
 believe in Gosh too, you´ll be darned to heck."
---

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2000, 11:25:00 AM »

Originally posted by blur:
What can we expect ...

Increase in federal executions?
Another military build-up with an increase in world tension?
More religious right influence on government?

I hope I see more of all the above three with the exception of increase world tension.
I feel the tension ie Palestine, China, etc will happen no matter what we do with our military. Best to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.
As for more religious influence, I can only hope. It is what the country is based on. Not the self serving crap spouted for the past 8 years.
I'm also for decreasing the prison population of those sentenced to die for the hideous crimes they committed.
Warm up old Sparky!

What I think we won't see:
1. Hummers in the Whitehouse
2. Movie stars in Lincoln's bedroom
3. Additional outrageous social programs benefiting a select few
4. A pres spending millions of tax dollars while touring the world with family and friends.
5. Sending our military to play global cop/media distraction.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2000, 11:27:00 AM »
Strictly the person, Gore is far more religous than Bush.  Honestly to a scary degree (what would Jesus do in this situation he claims to ask in every decision.  Would Jesus try to intimidate Palm Beach into more liberal hand counting methods? <cough> ).

In terms of the party itself, yeah, the republicans have an ugly self-rightous group waiting in the wings.  Usually we can keep them quiet, personally I think they're responsible for the cycle of republicans coming to power then losing it.

As long as they are not in power, or barely are (as now), there is enough pressure towards the center to keep them in place.  Only when republicans enjoy a large majority do they tend to lose sight of what got them there and drift right, in doing so losing the moderate people (like me) that put them there.  Maybe someday they'll learn, but having watched it over the years I doubt it.

Bush made it fairly obvious he wanted a smaller, more efficient military, and as for executions I honestly don't care, not that he would have much influence anyway.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2000, 03:18:00 PM »
Just saw an article in the paper. timothy mcveigh just withdrew all his appeals about his death sentence for the Oklahoma bombing. All except one. He left open the federal clemency request. Given the track record of the lame duck with pardoning terrorists, he might just have a chance in the next few weeks. I don't think he has one after the inauguration though.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2000, 04:28:00 PM »

Originally posted by Fatty:
(what would Jesus do in this situation he claims to ask in every decision.  Would Jesus try to intimidate Palm Beach into more liberal hand counting methods? <cough> ).

LMAO!!! Thanks Fatty, I needed that  

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

[This message has been edited by LJK Raubvogel (edited 12-14-2000).]

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2000, 05:24:00 PM »
 Don't worry guys. All that religious talk is just a tradition. Same as a message on a dollar bill.

As for the executions, a legislature makes laws and judiciary sentences people according to those laws.
 Where do you see executive branch (governor, president) here? Right. Nowhere. That was the original intend of separating the three branches!
 A governor or a president can pardon sentenced a criminal in extraordinaty cases but doing that as a matter of policy would be very presumpious on the executive's part.
 After all all those laws were created in a lengthy process by many qualified duly elected people.  Then the trial is conducted in a lengthy process by other qualified duly appointed people.
 What qualifications would an unrelated person have to overturn that decision? What would our laws and courts be worth if that happen often?
 Still, the Constitution allows him to interfere but only in favor of a criminal.

So do not worry, when Bush is a President, he will not be able to sentence anyone to death. the worst he can do is not to interfere.
 Also, he cannot make any laws regarding the subject. He can veto them, but no more then that.

miko

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2000, 05:45:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dowding:
I heard something about the Christian right wing part of the Republican party. How much influence do they have?

too much dowding....every time i explain i am a republican to someone i immediately disclaim any connection to those freaks.

the repubs are really the more realistic party all in all, choosing logical solutions over feel good short term solutions but thanks to the religious right people keep choosing democrats.

they are afraid that if they put a republican in office the rep will be praying at them all the time and asking them to pray for them and praying near them, under them, about them and through them... - it gets ridiculous and a lot of the time they are right.

it is changing though - there are more centrists republicans like yours truly poppin up every day -

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2000, 05:55:00 PM »
One thing that the US (in theory) has over Denmark is separation of church and state.

I agree with freethinking organisations when they say that far too much focus in the election is on the religious beliefs of the candidates.

Religion and politics have been intertwined for hundreds of years in Europe, but I dare say that even though we have a state religion, religion plays a much smaller role in politics here.

About the only one who says "god save Denmark" is our queen and she says it coz she gotta. Slimey.

So, I hope for none of the three. Federal executions going up means either changed rules or more qualify for it, which is bad. Military buildup that results in tension is even worse. Religious right influence is annoying, but the American people won't stand having religious nutters remove some of their freedoms. Not in the long run.

Chtulhu should be your god.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"