Author Topic: Lord, save me from religious people.  (Read 1938 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Lord, save me from religious people.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2000, 11:05:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dowding:
I heard something about the Christian right wing part of the Republican party. How much influence do they have?

A god-awful lot, Dowding  
ingame: Raz

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2000, 03:31:00 AM »
That's bad news, mrfish, Leonid. I dislike religious fundamentalists intensely; there seemed to be loads at university, and after a while I just couldn't stomach their attitudes any more. They are a danger to democracy and free-thinking.

They were Christian, but I expect those of other Religions are equally obnoxious.

I want to live in a secular state, with secular laws decided by people who have logically reasoned the issues through. I think Britain is largely secular these days; we have a pretty diverse ethnic mix (almost as much as the States).

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 12-15-2000).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2000, 04:25:00 AM »

I dislike religious fundamentalists intensely; there seemed to be loads at university, and after a while I just couldn't stomach their attitudes any more. They are a danger to democracy and free-thinking.

Amen to that.

------------------
jochen

Kids today! Why can't they fetishize Fascist military hardware like normal people?

Ladysmith wants you forthwith to come to her relief
Burn your briefs you leave for France tonight
Carefully cut the straps of the booby-traps and set the captives free
But don't shoot 'til you see her big blue eyes
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2000, 11:20:00 AM »

Originally posted by Dowding:

I want to live in a secular state, with secular laws decided by people who have logically reasoned the issues through.

logic - you're funny dowding - my eyes are watering from the chuckles - people are addicted to sensations here - if it doesn't produce instant gratification it isnt worth bothering with.

if a politician sz something about the future of our power supply, or whether small business should be taxed on gross revenues or payroll people yawn and go chase a ball of yarn or something shiney - but if he talks about the impending apocalypse that will be brought on by daytime talk shows, people will be brawling in the streets because it is somehing they can understand -

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2000, 12:48:00 PM »
The "religious right" has just about as much effect on everyday American life as the "loony left" does.

That is to say, not much at all. Both can be amusing and somewhat entertaining but neither end of the bell curve actually changes anything. Of course, without those ends of the graph, I guess it would be hard to define the huge "middle" that actually makes up 90% of our society.

Much sound and fury, signifying nothing.

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 12-16-2000).]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2000, 10:49:00 PM »
Balance
Without extremes on BOTH ends the CG in the middle would be hard if not impossible to find. If I had me choice, I'd pick a "religious" right leader over a "moral-less" left one anyday. One would just take the country back 100 years, the other would destroy it..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2000, 08:10:00 AM »
Liberalism is a pagan religion!!  It promotes odd human behavior as normal and celebrates death as a right!!  It is an easy religion to be sucked into as you only have to give up any rational thought and let others decide how and what you are to think(political correctness).  It's aim is to make you dependent(advocates of big intrusive federal government).  It's aim is to undermine the Constitution(denial of the 2nd).  It's aim is to destroy capitalism(tobacco and MS come to mind).   It's aim is to control every facet of your life.  It's aim is to quiet all those who disagree with their religion(campaign finance reform)!!

Liberalism as a religion is something that is to be held in check.

[This message has been edited by 1776 (edited 12-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 1776 (edited 12-17-2000).]

Ice

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2000, 10:12:00 AM »
Religion is man made boys.

Gods intent has nothing to do with religion...in fact, Jesus hated the Pharisees, who at the time were the most religious sector of folks walking about...they had the power and abused it for selfish gain.

Personally, those with true faith have very little to say...Jesus put it best..."You will know them by their fruit".

Ltr

Ice

funked

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2000, 12:59:00 PM »
Amen Ice.  

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2000, 05:42:00 PM »
Roger that Ice
Organized religion is one thing, religious behavior or morals are another. This country is based on religious morals, ie "In God We Trust". It is not based on a particular faith but the common ground of all faiths. The left likes to blur the difference so as to have one turn away from moral behavior altogether. Who the hell can believe in a Jim Baker or Tammy Faye? But most can believe in a Divine Source as long as it is not chased from all thought or circumstance. The government was created on principles now thought to conflict as a "church and state" issue. "Church" as I interpreted it would be a particular faith, not the believe in the Divine. But as soon as they can create that vacuum, the sooner it can be filled with selfishness, self centered thoughts and motivations ... another step towards a godless society.

Eagler

[This message has been edited by Eagler (edited 12-17-2000).]
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2000, 02:06:00 AM »
Exactly, Ice.

The finely tapered ends of the bell curve just don't represent much of anything.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2000, 06:28:00 AM »
It was my impression that some of the founding fathers were freethinkers, and that the "in god we trust" bit was added to your coins at a much later stage (as in 1900's).

Bush's father claimed atheists weren't real Americans because "it's one nation under god".

Ah yes, religious tolerance. While Marx was wrong about a great deal of things, he hit some dead on.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

funked

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2000, 07:14:00 AM »
Atheists have much bigger problems than not being real Americans.  

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2000, 10:32:00 AM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
Ah yes, religious tolerance. While Marx was wrong about a great deal of things, he hit some dead on.

So it's intolerant and bad to say negative things about atheists?

At least we don't go around shooting people because they believe in the wrong religion.  

Tolerance of various religious beliefs (or lack of same   ) is one of the cornerstone beliefs of this country.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2000, 10:58:00 AM »
Funked does that mean Atheist are NOT Americans?
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.