Author Topic: 2 P-51D error bugs  (Read 216 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
2 P-51D error bugs
« on: September 19, 2005, 02:23:48 AM »

error on my error post sorry haha. seems they are saying there is no radio wire but I am seeing it on many 51 pics so it must be there... I think its just to pronounced and should only be visable at the closest LOD level and removed at the rest of the LOD levels... on the pics I have seen its very faint and hard to see.

and all the gadgets and needles and attitude indicator and some other stuff show through the nose on closer forward views of the p51D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 02:35:57 AM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
2 P-51D error bugs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 03:09:56 AM »
Now before you get carried away :)

The radio antenna was for a certain type of radio that they didn't use in the ETO.  Just to make sure, I went through all my 51 stuff and can't find any ETO birds with that antenna showing.  There would be a tension spring showing behind the cockpit armor plate headrest too.  No go.

Pacific Mustangs, such as the ones on Iwo used another type of radio as well with two post antenna on the rear of the fuselage and one below the engine about where the wing starts.  Again, no antenna wire or tension spring showing in photos.

Regardless, there was that antenna wire on many a Mustang.  Part of the problem is it's way too thick

To be honest, I'd never have even thought about it, but I got reamed by a Mustang fanatic when I did a profile of an Iwo based 51 for him.  He made it very clear there was no wire as the radio set up was different.

I've seen reference in photos about 8th AF ETO based 51s without it as well.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
2 P-51D error bugs
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 11:50:44 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Part of the problem is it's way too thick

Without a doubt, that thing is way too thick!
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!