Author Topic: RAM Usage up dramatically  (Read 716 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
RAM Usage up dramatically
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2005, 12:52:12 PM »
Hubs, also (I was not aware of this until today), if you have moved the distance slider out to maximum distance the game will use more memory now.  Try adjusting it in a little bit to see if that helps.

Keep an eye on your system ram usage.  If it gets close to full, swapping may occur and that will cause freezing, stuttering, and/or pauses.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2005, 03:25:59 PM »
Skuzzy, will cutting view distance change con dot visibility range? And, is the "dot" handling for ground cons different than air cons, with different visability ranges?

I dont mind losing graphic eye candy at range, but changing dot distnace has a big impact on combat engagements...
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 03:35:45 PM »
The level of detail sliders are all set to max performance, with Distance set all the way to minimum. During the optests, I played with those (normally ran them all at performance, setting them to default only for the optests), and determined they had a big enough hit on performance that I set them all back to performance.

Skuzzy, would deleting the cache help? I'm stumped that I would get improved framerates, but suddenly have something that just tanks the way the game runs. I'm still scratching my head on this one.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 03:42:11 PM »
Hubs, something else is going on here.  When you are at your desktop and nothing is running, bring up the task manager.

1)  How many processes are shown (look in lower left corner, and note if that number changes while watching it)?
2)  What does the CPU usage in the lower center do (i.e. what range is it switching around to...watch this number for at least 15 seconds)?
3)  In the Peformance tab, what are the numbers under the physical memory (i.e. total, available, used..)?

Next, send me a DXDIAG output.

Appreciate it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 10:50:32 PM »
1) 16 processes with my browser up (excluding Idle and Task Mgr, of course)

2) With my browser up (stuck with dialup for the time being), CPU usage displays as 0% and 4%, reading 0 most of the time, and flashing 4% for a moment, then back to 0.

3)Under the Performance tab
Physical memory (K)
Total 523760
Avail 365100 to 365450 (varies over time)
Sys Cach 397828

Emailing you my DxDiag output now.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 02:54:06 PM »
Skuzzy, running at 256 textures, and 1280x1024 res at default Levels of Detail, I saw increased usage at low alt, and on the runway, at A8. A total of maybe 4 aircraft and a few GVs, RAM used went up to 500 plus while on Full Vis Range.

While attacking a land base on one of the small islands in the eastern part of the current map, from a CV, I ran the same settings, in Full and Ground vis ranges (was attacking planes initially, then GVs). At that base (V18, I think), even though I was flying very low, and there were multiple cons, 3 burning/smoking hangars, etc, RAM usage never exceeded 380. Over the water, it was varying from ~310 350. I ran into decreased FPS flying through the smoke, but no appreciable increase in RAM.

In all situations, I was using about 46mb for textures, and 30-40 mb of vid ram. Another thing I noticed later over A8, was that as I climbed to alt, my Sys RAM used decreased, and FPS doubled when I got about about 8k or so. At lower alt, after the RAM used started to sharply increase, my FPS was bouncing back and forth from 30 to 60. At 15k, I was using only 320mb of RAM or there abouts, and the game ran extremely smoothly.
It seems that the ground objects are one major factor here, at least for me.

Anyway, let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks,
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2005, 09:53:58 PM »
Skuzzy, could corrupted video drivers cause this? Mine finally collapsed the other night, had to get some assistance to diagnose the problem. After reloading my drivers, the game seems to be running better, and (although possibly unrelated), I haven't seen my RAM usage get above 420mb or so.

Just curious, thought I'd see if this were perhaps the cause, or at least a factor.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2005, 09:35:42 AM »
Incorrectly installed video drivers can cause a melee of problems.  Typically it is due to changing the video card driver without thoroughly removing the previous instance of a driver.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2005, 11:26:48 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
You can preload textures, not skins, at 1024.  You can preload both at 512, if you have at least 1GB of RAM.

Ok had Tex preloaded at 1024 as per your suggestion.

Still getting alot of micro freezes but it was tolerable

Weird thing started happening

Switched from fighting against bish to fighting against rooks and suddenly noticed my FPS dropping into the 20s even with only a few friendlies around

Framerate Status readout in game looked like this

Framerate 26
Vid Mem321.7M  used 46.0M cnt =0
System mem 1023.5M  used 573.2M  TEX=0.0

I have a snapshot of it if you like

Sooo I switched to 512 textures and preloaded.

Really really dont like 512. game doesnt lookor feel nearly as crisp and while framerates are up it still feels almost sluggish.
Still getting micro stutters which do not seem to be either sound nor con nor terrain related
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty