Author Topic: The Ashes  (Read 392 times)

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
The Ashes
« on: September 08, 2005, 12:59:45 PM »
wow, what a great day of cricket:aok hats off to shane warne for some pretty fantastic bowling, and again to strauss and flintoff, out for 129 and 72:D

i wonder what some of you aussies are thinking???

cant wait for tomorrow:)

better overview  here

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
The Ashes
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 01:30:55 PM »
Smilies are your freinds.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
The Ashes
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 01:34:52 PM »
MT may not know what The Ashes are which is disappointing.  His commentaries on cricket are quite funny.

:)

Warne is a spin machine.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
The Ashes
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 01:49:12 PM »
Why is it called, "The Ashes?"
sand

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
The Ashes
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 01:50:57 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman

Cause they are just as exciting to look at as a pile of ashes?

:p

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
The Ashes
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 02:02:01 PM »
"The Ashes" of English cricket, having been beaten (for the first time) by a pack of ragged colonials.

Mind you, the audacity of the English, attempting to participate in a sport which requires five uninterrupted days of good weather to play at the highest level, has to be admired.

Hubris.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
The Ashes
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 02:03:59 PM »

The origins of cricket's oldest international contest go back to 1882, when the third Australian team to tour England achieved the unthinkable.

Until then, the English had never been beaten on home soil, but Australia, led by by WL Murdoch, shocked the "Mother Country".

England, with the legendary WG Grace in their ranks, lost by seven runs, Aussie fast bowler Fred Spofforth taking 14 wickets for 90 runs.

The following day, a mock obituary ran in the Sporting Times "in affectionate remembrance of English cricket, which died at the Oval on 29th August, 1882".

It added: "The body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia."
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
The Ashes
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 08:12:36 AM »

yeah, basically what curval said. the stumps (the posts at either end) from that first defeat were burnt and put in a little urn. whoever wins it each year gets to keep the urn, which is over 120yrs old!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
England wins.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 12:19:05 PM »
Cracking series!

After England was bowled out for 373 on Friday, my heart sank when Australia went on to went on to stand at 243-1. :( But, on the car radio yesterday, we heard they'd all gone for 367 - woohoo!

I didn't see what happened at the very end - did Australia even bother to come out for their second innings? Wouldn't have been much point...

One sad piece of news - we won't be seeing any more of Richie Benaud. He's been in England commentating on England Test cricket since as long as I can remember - 42 years. What a guy.

Richie

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
The Ashes
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 12:29:04 PM »
Congrats!

Watcha gonna do with all the ash?

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
The Ashes
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 01:03:08 PM »
gotta commend australia being so graceful in defeat.

pieterson was absolutely incredible today.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
The Ashes
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 01:08:56 PM »
yup yup, great day. the aussies came out, got a 4 run bye, then came of in 'bad light'. noone could be arsed to play basically.

but yeah, pieterson got 158, lol. a few days ago people were saying he never did anything:D

but yeah, good day, great match, we all had fun:aok

hats off to the aussies for being such good sports, and a great opposition, keeping us on our toes:)