Author Topic: Car paintwork scratch removal  (Read 188 times)

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Car paintwork scratch removal
« on: September 15, 2005, 08:20:25 AM »
I'm an idiot, at least I feel like one at the moment.  I've managed to put a 12" scratch across two panels on the side bodywork of my car by reversing into a concrete plant pot. I kid you not.

Apart from the feeling of stupidity is an overwhelming desire to make it go away so anyone have any advise on some decent paintwork repair products?

Its not too deep, surface paint scratch only with a very small area where the panels meet each other where I can see a small amount of bare metal.

Cheers

Gatso

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 08:40:17 AM »
they make rubbing compound for clear coat cars... it will probly get a lot of the scratch out or at least reduce the visibility.

lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 08:49:46 AM »
check you PM's Gatso.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:34:41 AM »
Cheers Rip  :)

Gatso

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 09:51:34 AM »
If it's not too wide, touch-up paint from your dealer will work. The trick to that stuff is cleaning the scratch really good with rubbing alcohol to take off the layers of wax and applying a very thin coat of it. You gotta be careful or it'll glob up. Let it sit in the garage overnight to dry, and it'll turn out good.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 09:53:25 AM »
Originally posted by gatso
Cheers Rip  :)

Gatso

It it the most time-consuming method, but you won't be able to see the scratch when your finished. I have a black finish, and black tells tales...

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 10:46:29 AM »
I did something equally stupid to my Golf. But I found a kit in Halfords which did the job. It contains three bottles with primer, a lacquer and matched paint  I'm not sure how deep a scratch it will fill but it worked for me.