Author Topic: Radar/Map use questions...  (Read 451 times)

Offline Fry

• Zinc Member
Radar/Map use questions...
« on: September 14, 2005, 10:19:09 AM »
Ok, I'm still very new at AH...only 10 sorties so far, but have some questions about the Radar/Map that none of the help files have been able to answer.

1. On dar, what does it mean when a field is blinking red? Under attack? Damaged?
2. If damaged, what's affected from that airfield?
3. Is there a way to get an airfields status (may be in the help files, but I didn't see it)?
4. On dar, I've seen a small yellow dot, about the size of an a/c dot, near some fields...what are they or what do they indicate?
5. I've see said yellow dots also blinking red/yellow.  What does that mean?
6. Does the 500ft alt radar detection limit mean 500ft AGL or 500ft of altitude?
7. Not radar or map related, but do ground vehicles show icons? I'm not talking on the radar, but visually as an a/c would with a model and distance.

Thanks for putting up with these questions:)

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 10:39:01 AM »
1. The field is under attack
2. See 1. Of course the field can already be damaged if it's been blinking for a while, but the blinking indicates it's under attack.
3. Yes... But I can't remember it right now. Somehow on the clipboard (right clicking on a field? or something else?)
4. It's the town of that airfield.
5. Same as number 1, that town is under attack (for field capture you have to have the town flattened).
6. 500 ft AGL (at least that's how I've always understood it)
7. Yes, they do show icons.

Perhaps someone will clarify no's 3 and 6.
Hopefully this helped at least somewhat.
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Fry

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 10:43:51 AM »
Yes it did.  Thanks!  I kept flying around those yellow dots, not sure if they were a/c or not, trying to identify them;)

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 10:47:15 AM »
1. It means that it is under attack, or about to be.

2.and 3. You can check field status by right clicking the field on the map, from the drop down menu click on the field status option. It will list what has been destroyed and what is still up.

4. These small yellow dots are the Towns next to the field. In order to capture a field these towns must be destroyed.

5.  same answer as #1

6. 500 ft AGL.

7. GV icons do show up to aircraft. I believe they show up to other GV's as well. At least friendly icons show, not sure about enemy from other gv's. (all show up from the air though).

cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline Atlatl

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 12:31:02 PM »
2. I believe you have to right click on the actual field to bring  up the option for field status for that field. Or else you'll just get the nearest field to your click.

7. GV icons of all types show up to aircraft (within 1.5k). While in a GV, you'll only see icons for friendly GVs. Enemy gvs will not have icons. Look for previous postings for determining distance to the enemy gvs.

5. I've found you'll usually see these blinking independent of the airfield if they're being attacked by GVs.

Atlatl

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 01:19:09 PM »
Technically the little yellow dot is the actual maproom, where troops go to capture the base. You can verify this by checking the map legend thru the right click function. For airfields, an A## base, the maproom is in the town. Some of the other bases, P or V, it still has a maproom but might not have a town that needs destroying.

When a base is flashing, getting technical again, it means an enemy is within a certain range. For aircraft that range is equal to a bases radar circle, also available thru the right click function on the map. That range is shorter for ground vehicles. While the radar is at the base the town and base itself can flash independently of each other.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 10:38:54 PM »
Originally posted by fuzeman
Technically the little yellow dot is the actual maproom, where troops go to capture the base. You can verify this by checking the map legend thru the right click function. For airfields, an A## base, the maproom is in the town. Some of the other bases, P or V, it still has a maproom but might not have a town that needs destroying.

When a base is flashing, getting technical again, it means an enemy is within a certain range. For aircraft that range is equal to a bases radar circle, also available thru the right click function on the map. That range is shorter for ground vehicles. While the radar is at the base the town and base itself can flash independently of each other.

This is a must know for the FRAC3 map. Some towns are up to 25 miles (one sector) away from the base they belong to. That means that someone can attack the town, out of dar range, and take the base before anyone notices. The maproom will blink, but the base won't.

You'll also notice clusters of map rooms or maprooms out in the middle of nowhere on ALL maps. These are what I guess you could call a loophole in reverse. Since carrier groups are considered bases by the game, they have maprooms. No matter how many troops you drop on these, they won't capture the carrier.

The best example is on the Baltic map (the one on right now in the MA). Look at the top-left sector of the map and you'll see a small island with three maprooms. These belong to the three carriers on the map.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Elyeh

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 09:33:07 AM »
right click on any base on the map and it will give you the status of that base.

If you click on "Stat" at the botom of the clipboard it will give you the status of the base you just left from

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 02:35:07 PM »
2. You can also hold the shift key and right-click on a base and the status window will come up.  This saves you some time (you don't have to right-click and select field status)

Offline Fry

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 02:36:50 PM »
Boy, all these nifty tips:)  Is this place great or what?:aok

Thanks everyone.