Author Topic: Something for you Science Fanatics  (Read 409 times)

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Something for you Science Fanatics
« on: July 21, 2000, 06:59:00 PM »
Science update 2000

"Light breaks its own speed limit"

This was the title of an article in the July 21st edition of the International Herald Tribune. I wont type the whole article but ill just outline the general idea:

Scientists have magnified the speed of light by 7 times by using the reverse process of slowing it down (Refer to Lene Hau's experiment when he and S.E. Harris slowed the speed of a light pulse down to 38 mph). This has proved that light can travel faster then its previously "set speed" of 186,000 Mph (in a vacuum).
"The key finding is that the resonstituted pulse re-forms before the original intact pulse could have gotten there by simply traveling through empty space. That is, the peak of the pulse is, in effect, extended FORWARD IN TIME"

Its amazing what a little technology and inguinity can do.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2000, 12:59:00 AM »
Over modelled!!!!!  I call it Lite Light

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2000, 02:29:00 AM »
Torquila...let me know when u get an account.

A bet is a bet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2000, 05:13:00 AM »

Originally posted by Toad:
Torquila...let me know when u get an account.

A bet is a bet.

I thought i had one, but was inactive, i can e-mail you my loginname if you want. Or do accounts dissapear after a certian time?

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2000, 05:22:00 AM »
torquila,
Cool.  I remember that original experiment where they slowed down the speed of light.  To me, that's frickin' amazing!  Just makes a mess of relativity.  I wonder how super string theory explains this phenomenon?  I better stop reading books on Soviet tactical maneuver, and get on that.  Very cool, thanks  
ingame: Raz

funked

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2000, 05:22:00 AM »
The only other thing which can pass through space so quickly... is my grandpa's farts.